PDA

View Full Version : just to posst findings from gunnerchip

titcharoony
06-10-2007, 16:39
having had my new chip soldered by kj16v, and just come back from a quick spin, i thought id give those of you yet to chip a quick summary. First of all im testing on a williams 3, standard - other than itg air filter and magnex exhaust.
Essentially, what gunner says himself about these chips is pretty spot on. dont expect much and you'll be pleasantly suprised. I found it to be more responsive bottom end as well as up top, with a bit more pull throughout the gears. Hitting 60 seemed easier shall we say. The rev limiter is raised from approx 6500 to 7100, which is probably the best bit. 'bouncing' off the limiter constantly annoying before, so very pleased with raised limiter.
For the price that gunner sells them, this is a must have mod really. especially if you're not big on 'modding'. it doesnt take away from what renault gave you originally, but there is enough of a difference to make it worth your while. The only issue is getting sumone to solder it for you. I found it difficult to get anyone to even touch my ecu. if you havnt, do it. unless u plan bigger and better mods....but for sumone like me who enjoys only a slight modification to original design, this was spot on. cheers gunner and kj16v.

FATBOY
06-10-2007, 17:49
what do you mean soldered???? you have to get someone to solder the chip into a circuit board on the ECU??? i thought they just clipped/snapped into position on the ECU??? its something i may go for but all this soldering thing sounds dodgy to me (i know it something simple probably but dont wanna go ****ing the car up)

Lunner
06-10-2007, 18:00
You need to remove the std chip and solder a carrier in to take the new one, then you can quickly interchange them, i'm sure if you ask gunner he'll run you off a std map too

titcharoony
06-10-2007, 19:17
fatboy lunner is right. its fairly easy just get sumone who knows what theyre doing. u take ecu out, the electrician will desolder the chip, solder in a chip carrier, as lunner says - then u can pop the new chip in, or when it comes to it if u wish, pop ur old one back in. not that difficult for a half decent solderer. worth it i think

FATBOY
06-10-2007, 19:19
anyone from essex on here willing to help me out? dont want any old tom dick or harry doing it....

2 live
06-10-2007, 19:26
just do it to a valver ecu n keep the willy one as is. if u want to change the chips then ur going to have to remove the ecu anyway, so is easier, and safer, to use 2 diff ecu's

richy
06-10-2007, 19:29
all i did with mine is un-solder the std chip and solder in a adapter so can plug n play with chips!

simonr85
07-10-2007, 12:19
just do it to a valver ecu n keep the willy one as is. if u want to change the chips then ur going to have to remove the ecu anyway, so is easier, and safer, to use 2 diff ecu's

So would there be no difference between a "gunner chipped willy ecu" and a "gunner chipped valver ecu"?

As ive had my gunnerchip ages just was trying to get hold of another willy ECU as dont wanna mess mine up and this would help greatly

seanofnp
07-10-2007, 15:06
anyone from essex on here willing to help me out? dont want any old tom dick or harry doing it....

Im in kent but my dad said he'd give it a go if you wanna come down one sunday!

I love my gunnerchip! :P

schakal
07-10-2007, 15:45
i thoguht gunner said his chip did not work on valver ecus :roll:

seanofnp
07-10-2007, 16:04
It will work on the ecu i believe but its not a map for a 1.8 or something along them lines so wont run very well being used on a 1.8 but would be fine on the 2.0

titcharoony
07-10-2007, 16:08
im sure i recall on gunners ad on ebay sumthing like 'improved fuel efficiency'...hmm any thoughts?

schakal
07-10-2007, 17:12
It will work on the ecu i believe but its not a map for a 1.8 or something along them lines so wont run very well being used on a 1.8 but would be fine on the 2.0

NO, I REMEMBER HIM SAYING THAT CHIP WONT
WORK ON A VALVER ECU AT ALL !!!

richy
07-10-2007, 17:15
you can run a 2.0 chip in a valver ecu, just need the ph1 ecu, both myself and Mr.AdamB run this set up, his made 177@fly iirc when rr'd

Daz.
07-10-2007, 17:16
i thoguht gunner said his chip did not work on valver ecus :roll:

He did.

FATBOY
07-10-2007, 17:47
how many pins does the chip carrier need to be??? so the standard chip is unsoldered? and the chip carrier is soldered in place? and the the gunner chip is inserted into the carrier? then if need be when she is sold(which is very unlikely) i can take the hunnerchip out and plug the original chip in the carrier??

richy
07-10-2007, 17:57
how many pins does the chip carrier need to be??? so the standard chip is unsoldered? and the chip carrier is soldered in place? and the the gunner chip is inserted into the carrier? then if need be when she is sold(which is very unlikely) i can take the hunnerchip out and plug the original chip in the carrier??

28 pin carrier fatboy, maplins do them for 17p thats all it cost me!

all you do is unsolder the std one, solder in the carrier and they plug n play with whatever chips you like!

titcharoony
07-10-2007, 18:03
thats exactly right fatboy, if u buy a gunnerchip just request that he sends u a carrier with it, thats what i did. so u literally just hand over chip and carrier to ur solder monkey and bobs ur uncle. Yes after that the carrier just sits soldered to the board so shud u wish to return it to std, you can put the old chip back in and i dunno..sell ur gunner chip ata discounted price! :)

Wobba
07-10-2007, 21:14
Here is a guide (http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19574&highlight=chip+carrier) on chip changes, posted a while back. Shows chip carrier etc.

number1
07-10-2007, 22:47
hmm i have a carriered gunner chipped ecu, a willy chip and a valver chip, may put the valver chip in the willy ecu or get my ph1 valver ecu and have a carrier fitted and try the willy chip just to see if they interchange, they are the same size and i have been told, they work

Dave

drsmith1979
07-10-2007, 23:10
I made the above guide a while back when fitting mine, having had remapped Evo's, superchipped 2.1ZVH's, RS turbo's etc... i know the difference a good map can make to the car. As has been suggested, dont expect 20bhp from a 'general' remap, but it does change the characteristics of the car, makes it more drivable in real world situations. more responsive, higher rev limiter, and picks up all the way to the red line thus removing the dreaded flat spot higher up the rev range.

For the price it is worth the extra work to find someone to fit it for you, similar remaps cost well into the 100's, granted they are specific to the car, but for a 10th of the price you can have similarly impressive results with just a little hard work.

the Gunner chips are a complete winner imo, i can personally highly recommend them.

Just so people know...

My car Spec:
Willy 3 -
full mongoose stainless exhaust, decat, re welded manifold,
8mm HT leads,
Hillpower Induction kit,
all new distributer and rotor arm etc....

the car is punchy and quick..... ask Gunner himself, we've had many a play down the backroads of Halifax! haha

VIPERONE
08-10-2007, 17:16
basically a lad who bought achip off me complained he said it was constantly idling at 1500rpm and wasnt working very well.. he said he was running it on a valver ecu. i automatically assumed that this meant they werent compatible.

by all means try it... i cant imagine it working on a phase 2 valver ecu. phase one perhaps!

fuel efficiency actually decreased on mine.. that was because i enjoyed the extra performance a bit more and my right foot became lead.

I have about 15 in stock so can run off a batch at any time. anyone want to send me a standard willy ecu chip??? i deleted the file by mistake :-(

seanofnp
08-10-2007, 17:29
basically a lad who bought achip off me complained he said it was constantly idling at 1500rpm and wasnt working very well.. he said he was running it on a valver ecu. i automatically assumed that this meant they werent compatible.

by all means try it... i cant imagine it working on a phase 2 valver ecu. phase one perhaps!

fuel efficiency actually decreased on mine.. that was because i enjoyed the extra performance a bit more and my right foot became lead.

I have about 15 in stock so can run off a batch at any time. anyone want to send me a standard willy ecu chip??? i deleted the file by mistake :-(

I have my chip, i could post it but you wont get it for 10 years coz the nobs are on strike, but as long as i get it back il send it!

FATBOY my dad is an amazing electrical engineer and heating engineer, he said it will be easy and your welcome to come down for a blast with me the same weekend if ya like!

number1
08-10-2007, 17:38
I Reckon the ph1 ecu's will work, look the same and i cant see renault wasting money completly redesigning an ecu for the williams which has a virtually identical setup to the valver,

However ph2 ecu's are just ghey! pretty sure that they have completely different circuit Boards compared to ph1 ecus

Dave

schakal
08-10-2007, 17:53

in that case it should also work in a ph1 19 16v ecu .
i know that cause stan had a 19 ecu from me and it did
work fine on his clio valver .

number1
08-10-2007, 19:04

in that case it should also work in a ph1 19 16v ecu .
i know that cause stan had a 19 ecu from me and it did
work fine on his clio valver .

Im pretty sure that the 19 16v ecus even though they interchange with the clio's that the circuitry inside is different and the chips a different shape, i could be wrong tho... check first mate!

Dave

Daz.
08-10-2007, 22:44
It'd be well worth someone testing one of these chips in a ph1 ECU - it'd save a lot of fannying around!

midge
09-10-2007, 12:11
Bish has it in his pahse one valver ecu and its working, no need to test it it 100% works

schakal
09-10-2007, 12:13
Bish has it in his pahse one valver ecu and its working, no need to test it it 100% works

what spec is he running ?? what gains he had from the chip ??

schakal
09-10-2007, 12:15

also he is running this ecu on a valver engine i take it ?? :roll:

number1
09-10-2007, 12:28
I think he has a hybrid motor

Dave

FATBOY
09-10-2007, 21:58
ive pm'd you gunner!!!! but youve opened the pm and not replied???? contact me asap

richy
09-10-2007, 22:04
you can run a 2.0 chip in a valver ecu, just need the ph1 ecu, both myself and Mr.AdamB run this set up, his made 177@fly iirc when rr'd

do ppl just not read these threads or what!

both myself and MrAdamB(B1SH) have ph1 ecu's running the 2.0 chips! :lol:

on 2.0 engines btw^

FATBOY
09-10-2007, 22:09
what are these ones like???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Clio-Williams-2L-16V-F7R-Performance-Chip-10hp_W0QQitemZ320166006649QQihZ011QQcategoryZ32094 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

number1
10-10-2007, 11:04
Gunner, Are these chips mapped for regular unleaded or Vpower etc? my car seems to pink under load on regular but i changed to Vpower this week and it disappeared

Dave

Lunner
10-10-2007, 11:22
Guess that answers your question then ;)

simonr85
10-10-2007, 14:09
i bought a chip off you gunner, how much for a standard map (as a backup)?

Daz.
10-10-2007, 14:40

on 2.0 engines btw^

I like this news! 8)

titcharoony
10-10-2007, 15:04
i reckon ive given you some business here gunner, i expect a cheque in the post!

schakal
10-10-2007, 16:26

on 2.0 engines btw^

right we got that bit .
what about runnin the same chipped ecu on a standard f7p ? :?

Daz.
10-10-2007, 16:58

on 2.0 engines btw^

right we got that bit .
what about runnin the same chipped ecu on a standard f7p ? :?

I'm confused - can you just explain that one to me again?

:pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom:

VIPERONE
10-10-2007, 17:37
its mapped for optimax (v POwer) but runs as well on BP ultimate...sorry should have said... no supermarket fuel boys lol

number1
10-10-2007, 17:42
No worries gunner, an excuse for the Vpower then 8)

Dave

drsmith1979
10-10-2007, 18:49
no supermarket fuel?!?

mine runs great on Tesco 99! hehe 8) obviously with the odd tank of optimax

titcharoony
10-10-2007, 19:14
ill change to optimax when i can then, as currently i just chuck normal unleaded in...haha. new chip...new fuel!

Daz.
10-10-2007, 20:05
no supermarket fuel?!?

It is called something other than that though? I've never been able to find it locally!

simonr85
19-10-2007, 11:41
no supermarket fuel?!?

It is called something other than that though? I've never been able to find it locally!

Shell V-Power

kj16v
19-10-2007, 16:40
Unashamed, blatant plug :!: Anyone who wants their ECU chipped: I've just posted up an ad in Items For Sale

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26447

drsmith1979
19-10-2007, 19:54
i presume you are referring to 'optimax' Daz? as already suggested its simply Shell V-Power now, although as i have said i spell 3 tanks of Tesco 99 then 1 V-power, and did the same with my Evo and it runs great and saves a nice amount over the course of 12months too. just makesure you use a popular tesco so you dont get old fuel that has been sat aronud for ages.

The clio loves Tecso 99!

Daz.
19-10-2007, 20:43
No I mean I've never seen tesco 99!

Never buying V-Power again round here it's not £105.3p :shock:

drsmith1979
20-10-2007, 00:21
haha ok....

well you can do a search online and it tells you where they all are, there are 2 near to me, one in Wigan and more closely there is one in Warrington. It's simply called 'Tesco 99' and has either a white black or grey sticker as opposed to the green unleaded one.

Its great stuff and when combined with 5p off per litre from shopping reward points, it makes it just as cheap as normal! 8)

I'm surprised i dont bump into Gaz and Northy more often there...

Allan
20-10-2007, 12:15
yeah cant get tescos 99 around here, and the v-power is 99.9, so i just stick to that for now

sheps
20-10-2007, 21:30
Never buying V-Power again round here it's not £105.3p :shock:

Thats cheap!
Over here on the good old Isle Of Wight, the only fuel we get other than general supermarket stuff is Texaco Super Unleaded.
There is only one garage that sells it, and then run out every 6/7 days, and get a delivery every 2/3 weeks :shock:

Oh, and the price, £1.10 .9p a litre, and its only 97ron :shock:

titcharoony
22-10-2007, 22:01
i have a queiry. If im not mistaken, Essos unleaded, could well be total's unleaded, as they borrow from the same depot. The same happens with tesco, shell etc...
Is it different when it comes to premium fuels? Are they seperated?

drsmith1979
22-10-2007, 22:27
i would presume that the higher octane rating can simply be achieved by adding their own special 'recipe' maybe? so the base stock wouldnt matter, i've heard shell do that with v-power