PDA

View Full Version : Throttle bodies group buy. Anyone interested?

J o n
06-10-2007, 16:19
Was speaking to Andy at GDI the other day and he's looking at doing some Mk1's on throttle bodies as he's done around 25 on the Mk2's now. I've suggested that I could put it on here for a group buy and am just seeing if anyone would be interested?

Looking at 3 to 5 people to make it worthwhile with regards to discounts and if anyone has any doubts on reliability, my car has done 40k on ITB's with a TOTALLY standard engine and is showing 196psi on each cylinder (200psi standard). The work will be done with a warranty which will be time and or mile based, so it's a product he's VERY confident in. Just to put people in the picture, GDI are partnered with Omex and have an excellent relationship with Jenvey as one of the UK's biggest purchasers of their products, so support is also second to none.

At the moment he's looking at rough prices to offer the kit for, which will comprise of the Jenvey bodies, injectors, rad and Omex management etc. Everything you need for a drive in drive out service. Cams can be added on to the package, also at a discounted price, so if anyone is interested or has any questions, then stick your name down here. I'll have some more details later in the week pending interest.

Daz.
06-10-2007, 16:32
Why oh ****ing why do I never have any money when I need!

Lunner
06-10-2007, 16:33
Ditto, i'm just gonna have to wait a couple of years before i can afford em

m4rkj
06-10-2007, 16:56
id be interested its just the case of how much it will cost.also wot bhp increase would u be lookin at by puttin them on

Mr.AdamB
06-10-2007, 17:15
IM deffo intrested prices???

2 live
06-10-2007, 17:28
bodies alone, id say 20 bhp ish.

J o n
06-10-2007, 18:09
not sure on exact cost yet, will get that off Andy, he's pricing things up at the moment for me.

as for power, I cant really say for sure as tbh I didn't ask, but I'd imagine a breathed on Williams with the ITB's and fully mapped in would be around 200bhp give or take? With cams anything upto 210-220+bhp. My estimates are based on the F4R engine though, so Williams totally stock may be a bit less, especially on stock cams, as the F4R's cams are a fair bit wilder... probably similar to running a set of Kent RN2002's type difference! :shock:

I know Roamer's 172 made 50bhp increase on just bodies alone, but I'll speak to Andy and Mark, as they are putting just ITB's on Mark's Mk1.

2 live
06-10-2007, 18:36
so about 20-30 bhp on std engine then. wasnt far off ;)

Mr.AdamB
06-10-2007, 18:39
well if the price if right im deffo in.

MattyH16valver
06-10-2007, 19:00
Mmmm shame I want to keep this one standard otherwise i'd be tempted. Could always get another willy i suppose! :lol:

donsrno1
06-10-2007, 19:09
I would be interested to hear prices. Tbh I don't think I could afford it, but I would be interested to see how much it would cost and could maybe push my budget at the right price.

midge
06-10-2007, 19:31
arnt GDI expensive though? would it be cheaper to just go to Stan even after discount?

2 live
06-10-2007, 19:36
thatt would only be possible to make a statement on once prices are discussed and finalised tbh.

how much for just the rad??

lol

Dancliovalver
06-10-2007, 19:48
i want be me no affording :cry:

J o n
06-10-2007, 20:42
I'll have a price in the week as this is basically going to be offered exclusively to WC members only and at a discount rate.

what people need to consider is that this is a no compromise kit, so while Stan may be cheaper (dont know as I haven't got a final price yet lol) you cant really directly compare the two when they will be using different parts. Things like ECU's, rads for example. The warrenty is also a big plus point, as the size that GDI are now at and with the experience they have they are extremely confident in the product... hell, 2 live has driven mine and it survived :lol:

Oh, you'll also be given a car to run about in whilst the work is done, so while the turnaround will be pretty quick it will also be without inconvenience.

There's going to be 2 basic options too, as Andy knows a lot of people on here are pretty capable when it comes to doing things themselves, so "Option 1" comprises of a fully fitted kit, drive in drive out service with 1 year warranty and option 2 is basically the same but you fit it yourself. I'd imagine a base map will be provided to run the car back for a mapping session at Omex with Andy and Richard (aka Mr Omex).

Try not to look at this from a "can I afford it" perspective, look at it from a "can I afford NOT to get it" ;) lol

2 live - yeah, custom rad is no problem, he's going to get you a price when he's back in work mate.

MattyH16valver
06-10-2007, 20:44
Would u have to remove the cross member in order to fit the custom rad...or is it just a smaller direct replacement?

richy
06-10-2007, 20:50
there usually a shorter rad to allow the bodies to clear

richy
06-10-2007, 20:51
btw looks a good deal, although i cant afford any t/b's yet, need the money for a house!

2 live
06-10-2007, 21:22
one thing jon is omitting tho.

running costs. you could well afford the conversion....but could you afford to run it the same as you do now. depends on the depth and fullness of your pockets ;)

MattyH16valver
06-10-2007, 21:24
one thing jon is omitting tho.

running costs. you could well afford the conversion....but could you afford to run it the same as you do now. depends on the depth and fullness of your pockets ;)

Does the MPG change dramatically then? I spend enough on petrol a week as it is! :shock: :lol:

2 live
06-10-2007, 21:29
lol........yes.

mine...altho not properly mapped...was averaging around 10 mpg.

granted, dependant on map iv no doubt it could be mapped to produce somewhere near std mpg. but at the end of the day.........why??

if your spending a big chunk o coin like this on making your car go quicker, why would you be bothered about mpg??

at the end of the day.more power needs moe fuel. simple as really.

MattyH16valver
06-10-2007, 21:38
Do you run yours on the 99 High Octane Jungle Juice? :lol:

2 live
06-10-2007, 21:44
yes

Daz.
06-10-2007, 23:27
Bah I don't even look at fuel prices when I fill up - always comes out to £15 anyhoo :lol:

How siginifcantly cheaper is the discount gonna be over say in 2 years time if I was looking into getting it done?

Great Idea with the courtesy car - thats always put me off having work done in the past lack of transport.

Martin
07-10-2007, 03:55
Mine was ok on the juice....used a bit more than stnd but would do 100 miles to £10 on a relaxed m/way run

alex_e3
07-10-2007, 09:38
^^^ jesus, i don't get that mpg in a standard 2 litre!

wavy
07-10-2007, 09:49
Mine was ok on the juice....used a bit more than stnd but would do 100 miles to £10 on a relaxed m/way run
:shock: must be a typo ? or i have a hole in my tank
if not boddies will save you money over the years lol

2 live
07-10-2007, 11:06
i know jon says his is better on a long run down th mway, but tbh, i cant drive at a steady 60 mph to wait for him lol.

100 miles to a £10. if you cant get that out of your std car, thres summat wriong, seriously. even i can piss that with the lead rigyht foot and that with the cams lol.

driven as you would normlly drive the williams, the mpg would be absolutely terrible imo. and wots the point of gettin th mods to make it faster, then drive it slower to get decent mpg??

stan
07-10-2007, 11:11
Whilst my work is cheaper than the likes of GDI, theres NO comprimise on parts/workmanship/attention to detail...and I'd hate for anyone to imply otherwise. My work is fully guaranteed and insured also.

The reason im cheaper isnt down to lack of technical input...its simply loacation/rates/running costs. I can afford to be cheaper because I dont need to be expensive :wink:

seanofnp
07-10-2007, 11:42
Well, im looking to get boddies soon and am earning well now, so whoever can PM me with the best price for the above work to drive in drive out with tb/s and another price for cams to be added to the work will get my custom come the time i do it, (probably within the next couple of months easily). Also, who will have the car the longest is a deciding factor.

evouk
07-10-2007, 11:59
Hello,

Ive been offered ITB's from a few places now so interested to see what package he can do for me. I have the ecu already and cams and headwork./

I just need a rad and itb's and a remap.

J o n
07-10-2007, 13:38
To answer some of the questions:

MPG - yes it will use more fuel up around town and on short journeys, though not much. The only reason mine is so thirsty is because the map was pissed around with by a previous owner and has only been road mapped since, as there was little point getting it on the rollers when more engine work is being done. On a motorway however I'll get 400+ miles from a tank as I have change from the almost 400 mile roundtrip to GDI in the tank :)
Basically, if you cain it, the thing drinks. They will be however testing dual maps, so one that's a bit more reserved and one that's more suited to fast road/track driving. My car is being the test bed for this.

Stan, wasn't implying anything about your work at all, everyone has always spoke highly of you and most people on here (unlike CS) know what they are talking about. The GDI kit may well be more expensive, but the level of support is 2nd to none and cars need to be turned around in a timely fashion, so you'd be looking at little over a week if that, from driving in to driving it home, but with the added bonus of having transport in the meantime.

It's upto you guys at the end of the day, this was just an idea to gauge interest, as the size that GDI are they can offer things like this as a drive in/out solution and turn it around in no time at all. The warranty just shows how confident they are in the product as no one has done as many throttle bodied Clio's... just phone up Jenvey who will confirm this from kit sales lol.

Lunner
07-10-2007, 13:43
I'm sorry but when i was working in leeds my commute at the weekend was about 350 mile round trip, most of it sat on motorway, and i struggled to get the 350 miles outa one tank......do the mk2's have a bigger tank?

J o n
07-10-2007, 13:47
no idea Lunner, but my girlfriend will confirm how much better mine is on petrol on the mway than her old Ph1 172

Lunner
07-10-2007, 13:51
Well how much does it take to fill it up from empty?

Its about 45-50 quid in the mk1's, although have squeezed £55 in before

seanofnp
07-10-2007, 15:03
Its obvious that increasing power = less mpg, i know this and care not! My car is a track/fast road car and i have a Octavia SDi to get about and get my 55+mpg! All i wanna know is how much and how much more will i get on top of my 166.5 il get from cams+headwork+itbs+remap etc.

Jesus could you let me know a price as soon as you hear please mate! Very interested!

cliolord
07-10-2007, 16:25
Yum, Yummy Throttles :P I've already got my set common boy's, join the dark side!

J o n
07-10-2007, 17:57
Well how much does it take to fill it up from empty?

Its about 45-50 quid in the mk1's, although have squeezed £55 in before

about £40-45, but tbh if you're worried about economy then this isn't the conversion for you! lol

it's not much worse than stock unless your booting the crap out of it though.

richy
07-10-2007, 18:01
if your worried about that you should go buy a diesel! lol

Lunner
07-10-2007, 19:46
I'm not worried about it, just continuing the conversation lol

Richy, i have a vectra diesel for every day running around

richy
07-10-2007, 19:50
well your ok then! :lol:

bill.
10-10-2007, 08:51
just bought a 106 diesel in hope of getting 400+ miles out of a tank, beats the 260/70 out of the williams :shock: , must be them back roads to work :twisted:

throttle body kit sounds cool, shame i'm selling the williams :cry: ( i'll have another one day )

Lunner
10-10-2007, 10:33
I get about 500+ miles to a tank in the vectra, it is a 60 ltr tank tho lol

Dan_mk1
10-10-2007, 11:16
Ill be interested in option 2 dependant on price....

matt.turner
11-10-2007, 20:14
defo interested need prices tho

J o n
12-10-2007, 09:25
okay people, I'm going to kick Andy's arse today on getting me a price for you all. Can the people that are interested just post up the option they want so we can get a list going here please? I'll get prices off Andy today and if there's enough numbers and interest we can go ahead with this.

If there's not enough numbers I'll see about getting some 1*2 owners to boost numbers.

Clio-Girl
12-10-2007, 10:25
Need prices please!!

evouk
21-10-2007, 20:11
any news

J o n
22-10-2007, 23:02
kit prices on the way..... they have been negotiating rad discounts for a better deal

mark
24-10-2007, 14:54
Look at how many people saw awt's white example which martin had and loved it. Its a conversion for which people drive hard :D .

Ive had loads of fun stripping and rebuilding mine but no dought it will be much better on the road. IF i ever pull my finger out mine might be done before this happens so you'll all have a demo to amuse your selfs with to change your minds!!

The way i look at it is Same power as mk2's, LIGHTER than mk2's = QUICKER than mk2's :wink:

2 live
24-10-2007, 16:10
tbh mate. i think jons would hand the white un its ass. maybe the white one would be ahead til bout 100...but the gearing on jons will take the piss after that.

put in a diesel box, or use the cup/172 box with the taller top end and i think the mk1s would be onto a winner.

seanofnp
24-10-2007, 18:09
tbh mate. i think jons would hand the white un its ass. maybe the white one would be ahead til bout 100...but the gearing on jons will take the piss after that.

put in a diesel box, or use the cup/17poo box with the taller top end and i think the mk1s would be onto a winner.

wont matter much round a bendy track or 1/4 mile then anyway?

DaveH
25-10-2007, 19:52
Doesnt the ph1 172 have a fair bit more power than the white one though, wasnt martins 216bhp or thereabouts? Im very tempted by this depending on price.

2 live
25-10-2007, 19:59

put in a diesel box, or use the cup/17poo box with the taller top end and i think the mk1s would be onto a winner.

if you can quieten the inlet side of things enough to pass the db tests lol. then youd be basically starving the car. that case youd be better off with std inlet tbh.

2 live
25-10-2007, 20:00
i know yozza said he had quite a few probs with db regs, but the zorst would pass when static.

J o n
26-10-2007, 10:42

well it would on a 1/4 mile if I stripped the tits out of it and on track would be no contest, the white car handles like a sack of shit, mine's professionally set up with negative 2.3 degrees of camber and spent a day at Pro Drive. I've driven it and my stock suspension Williams left Mehdi for dead in it around some twisty back road and he had a good power advantage over me as you can imagine

valver_Karl
25-02-2008, 19:24
hi,
1st of all sorry to bring up an old thread!

2nd did this ever go to plan?

3rd if this is still goin, im defo in as im intending on gettin tb's soon anyway

AndyFielder
25-02-2008, 19:47
i will be wanting a set in 2months.

evouk
25-02-2008, 20:37
i may be up for this if my other plan goes pete tong

valver_Karl
25-02-2008, 21:36
i will be wanting a set in 2months.

yeah same as, is this still goin to plans? make a name list,

1. valver_karl

J o n
27-02-2008, 12:18
There wasn't really enough interest at the time, that and I then totally forgot about it lol. Best bet is to contact Andy directly and see what he says.

If people want me to chase this up and start things rolling then let me know, as I had a brief chat about this with Andy last night and he's pricing the kits up with different options for self install, rad options etc etc.

evouk
27-02-2008, 15:38
i would be interested as Ben cannot give me a date for his design of bodies.

valver_Karl
27-02-2008, 19:37
ye i rang him the other day(2-3) days ago, leave it with me buddy iv got it under controll, i will make another group buy thread up when i get details & prices.

J o n
28-02-2008, 00:25
i would be interested as Ben cannot give me a date for his design of bodies.

lol, because he doesn't have a design. Those ones that were on CS were AT's, not his and that thread is now gone.