PDA

View Full Version : Non-UK Williams

Wobba
06-10-2007, 09:55
Having imported a fair few cars in my time from various places, I thought I would have a shifty at some of our EU cousins and see what the various websites have on offer, in terms of the Williams Clio.

I have spoken to a few of my French friends recently, and even the ones who are not into cars seemed to know the Williams Clio. Seems they are quite proud of it.

I checked out the French Ebay site to start with and can see they have a MUCH higher pricing of Willies. Many of them seem to be immaculate as well. I find it quite interesting. Ok, so they are LHD, but almost every professional driver will state a preference for LHD motorcars...it's easy to get used to as well.

Have a look HERE (http://automobile-voiture.search.ebay.fr/clio-williams_Automobiles_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ 3QQsacatZ9801QQsatitleZclioQ2bwilliamsQQsbrsrtZl) for example. Currently some very nice cars listed. I think they have kept theirs in pretty good nik! I imagine parts from Renault are cheaper there.

It's interesting to see the difference in designation, i.e. they have a different way of distinguishing Williams 1, 2 and 3's. It's because of the difference in marketing the car when they were released, depending on the country they were registered in etc (I imagine). Would it be true to say the ones with limited edition plaques are Willy 1's?

FATBOY
06-10-2007, 11:03
Having imported a fair few cars in my time from various places, I thought I would have a shifty at some of our EU cousins and see what the various websites have on offer, in terms of the Williams Clio.

I have spoken to a few of my French friends recently, and even the ones who are not into cars seemed to know the Williams Clio. Seems they are quite proud of it.

I checked out the French Ebay site to start with and can see they have a MUCH higher pricing of Willies. Many of them seem to be immaculate as well. I find it quite interesting. Ok, so they are LHD, but almost every professional driver will state a preference for LHD motorcars...it's easy to get used to as well.

Have a look HERE (http://automobile-voiture.search.ebay.fr/clio-williams_Automobiles_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ 3QQsacatZ9801QQsatitleZclioQ2bwilliamsQQsbrsrtZl) for example. Currently some very nice cars listed. I think they have kept theirs in pretty good nik! I imagine parts from Renault are cheaper there.

It's interesting to see the difference in designation, i.e. they have a different way of distinguishing Williams 1, 2 and 3's. It's because of the difference in marketing the car when they were released, depending on the country they were registered in etc (I imagine). Would it be true to say the ones with limited edition plaques are Willy 1's?

i guess so??? so does that mean they do have mark 1 phase 2 williams's as well??? with no plaques? i know they didnt have the williams 2 and 3 in mainland europe, only in the UK (marketing ploy i guess)

Wobba
06-10-2007, 11:12
Yea, I am certain have seen PH1 facelifted Williams in France without the limited edition plaque, just like here but they didn't have the same problem calling them just 'Williams' like here in UK.

I think they sold the Williams 1 here as a limited edition, and got round the trading standards description laws by calling the next generation Williams 'special' editions, Willy 2 & 3. Over there they just ran them as they did before...

...I think.

Wobba
06-10-2007, 11:14
Or I could just be full of shit hehe.

Wobba
06-10-2007, 12:58
Would anyone consider going to France to buy a left hooker?

titcharoony
06-10-2007, 16:26
sorry, why would most professional drivers prefer left handers?

Rob72
06-10-2007, 22:37

good question...
think most rally cars r left hookers

titcharoony
06-10-2007, 22:46
for throwing around european stages i gues....

seanofnp
07-10-2007, 01:28
My friends Williams WAS a LHD french import car, imported and converted to RHD by RenaultUK and that came with a plaque.

Wobba
07-10-2007, 11:00
I can only speculate on that, but I am just saying what I have heard from various interviews etc.