PDA

View Full Version : Possible gearbox problem?

BristolSam16v
04-10-2007, 19:18
Ok bit of a long 1 but here goes:

other day car breaks down, speedo goes up but no drive so i assumed it was the circlip: had it towed home.

took it apart and the drivers shaft has come off the gearbox (didn't have a roll pin in) bending the cv joint and spliting the boot, bit odd i thought but i got it back together and changed the circlip even though it hadn't popped but I'd already bought a new 1.

So I drive it off after about 100m i hear a horrible crunching/banging/knocking noises and the car jerks like something is getting stuck. now here's the symtoms:

As I start the car it makes a loud grinding noise, sounds the starter is catching? also a knocking noise. after that it idles fine in neutral, no noises and revs fine.

Put it in first try and drive it and it makes a loud crunching, car shudders like its trying to move forward but doesn't move.

Now whats got me is that if I start it with the clutch down it still makes the loud grinding noise? Surely if the box had gone it wouldn't do this so Im guessing maybe starter? but then it wouldn't idle...

Any thoughts?

number1
05-10-2007, 23:10
hmm the cv joint hasnt given the starter motor a knock on its way around has it? could have knocked it out of true, might be worth looking at the clutch, good way to tell if your diffs nackered: select first gear with car on ramp, engine off and push both wheels in the same direction maybe worth "rocking" them back and forth, dont force them but they should move slightly, make sure, the drivers side output shaft is staying true and not twisting in the gearbox casing, if you get my drift also it shouldnt slip or be free in motion

Dave

BristolSam16v
06-10-2007, 00:16
towed it home earlier and the drivers side shaft is proper ****ed, boot is in pieces guessing the joint is buggered (gearbox end), hoping its just this thats causing all the noises etc but would that cause the bad noise on start?