PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Noise

Bonkerz
02-10-2007, 13:29
I am having problems again! I got a whining noise coming from the front of my willy that gets louder when i turn left and nearly dissapears when i turn right. I had this twice before and it was the wheel bearings. but this time ive had it in the air and the bearings seem ok.

my question is if my diff bearings have gone would they make the varied noise when turning left and right like when a wheel bearing has gone.

any help would be appreciated

mike

Mr.AdamB
02-10-2007, 13:43
yeah i think its the diff mine whines a bit but not wen i turn its same wateva i do lol.i dotn worry aobut it! if it blows up iput put another 1 on lol :)

mike16valver
02-10-2007, 14:02
does sound like you diff bearings are going...

i had the same problem only awhile back, the louder the whining will be the the cause of the engine under strain more than likely..

mike

Bonkerz
02-10-2007, 14:27
thanks for the replies.

forgot to say that the noise is present even when the clutch is down and out of gear. ive read on here that the noise usually dissapears when gearbox bearings have gone and you put the clutch down, but i cant remember if they were on about main bearings as apposed to the diff bearings.

mike

finlay
06-10-2007, 13:51
sounds like a wheel bearing if its more of a whing sound and if it goes away when you turn a certain direction, i ve had wheel bearings only last me a couple of2k miles in the past usually if its gearbox/clutch its more of a scraping/grinding sound,

thats just my experience i ve had in the past

cheers

Bonkerz
08-10-2007, 22:00
Got it in to have the wheel bearings changed on thursday. fingers crossed.

mike