PDA

View Full Version : mk2 clio problems

Budji
28-09-2007, 10:16
Okay I know its not a williams but wondered if anyone could help me out

mk2 ph2 clio 1.6 16v

started missing when warm occasionally ages ago, had got a bit worse but not much. misses slightly once every few seconds

Then the fuel pump stopped priming the first time you turn the ignition onto 2 clicks (red lights on), you then have to turn it to off and back to 2 clicks before it primes - ie the usual noise it makes when you switch the ign. to 2 clicks.

From cold it takes longer to start than it used to, and needs some gas before it will idle right.

have changed:
plugs
coils x4
CTS
2 out of 3 of the mounts
done an engine flush
and a few more things too!!

none of these made any difference what so ever

it doesnt burn oil or coolant, and it doesnt seem to effect the performance

am kinda stumped so any help anyone could offer would be great, its my daily drive again as of the end of month so I need to sort it out asap!!

Many thanks

Budji
28-09-2007, 10:17
oh yeah and when the pump does prime it doesnt sound right, sounds ruff!!!

have taken the pump out and cleaned the pickup out and cant find a fuel leak anywhere!!

Allan
28-09-2007, 12:08
tried replacing the pump ?

maybe it just faulty

Purple
28-09-2007, 12:22
Check the fuel pump connector under the rear seat.
Clean the contacts and close them up slightly with a small jeweler's screwdriver.

Budji
28-09-2007, 12:33
will give that a go but have already had the pump out and back in with no change so doubt it will help any

was thinking it could be the relay under the bonnet, but then again that would either work or not I assume, not work one time and not the next religiously??

Purple
28-09-2007, 12:45
was thinking it could be the relay under the bonnet, but then again that would either work or not I assume, not work one time and not the next religiously??
That's exactly how the electrics on the fuel pump behave when not getting the full current it needs. May work perfectly one day but not the next. Yeah, check the relays too. May still be a busted pump in the end, but check the easy/cheap things first.

Budji
28-09-2007, 16:54
got a funny feeling it could be the pump, cuz it sounds ruffer than it used to when it primes, but its not a cheap job at all!!!

is there any way I can test to see if its the relay/wiring??

Bailey_1260
28-09-2007, 22:40
Checked the ECU wiring, comon fault for the housing to wear the wires and cause no ed of problems.

Budji
29-09-2007, 12:29
will have a look mate, cheers

just trying to find anything I havent checked so far before I shell out £130 odd on a new pump!!

Budji
01-10-2007, 11:57
checked wiring and it all looks okay round by the ecu, have checked the wiring up to the pump a while ago and its not that

is there a way of testing the relay to see if its that at fault??