PDA

View Full Version : gsf uprated clutch

jay s
27-09-2007, 23:59
right my clutch is on its way out sharpish and i need a replacement, its not slipping but is hard to get in gear and if i floor it i really have to push it into the next gear :( also some mad noises coming from inside the box/clutch area so im thinking its popped a spring and the noise is that bouncing aroud inside the clutch :shock: had a look on gsf site and they list 2 uprated clutchs for the r5gt, one sach and some other heavy duty one. which one do i get? planning on doing this the weekend depending on weather and if midge/bass want to help :wink:

MAXIBOY
28-09-2007, 00:01
sach have a good reputation

mike16valver
28-09-2007, 09:02
Read the last post >>>> http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21942

thats more than likely the problem...

I have got a R5GTT Uprated Clutch from GSF, working a treat with the soft pedal conversion...

Lunner
28-09-2007, 12:10
I'm running an uprated R5GTT clutchm takes a little getting used to to start with

2 live
28-09-2007, 12:19
iv been running an uprated 5gtt clutch in 0159 for over 2 years now, definately takes some getting used to, but well worth it.

i run a helix organic in 0051.

both have the same kind of bite feel to it, but the gtt clutch seems to want to just throw your foot off ithe pedal perfect for the drag strip, tiresome in heavy traffic.

would recommend either tbh. altho the helix was £300+ compared to the cheaper valeo gtt unit.

mike16valver
28-09-2007, 13:25
iv been running an uprated 5gtt clutch in 0159 for over 2 years now, definately takes some getting used to, but well worth it.

i run a helix organic in 0051.

both have the same kind of bite feel to it, but the gtt clutch seems to want to just throw your foot off ithe pedal perfect for the drag strip, tiresome in heavy traffic.

would recommend either tbh. altho the helix was £300+ compared to the cheaper valeo gtt unit.

I have done the soft pedal clutch conversion on mine with the R5GTT clutch,

i have to say, its brilliant, really really light, i have no problems at all, not even when i am in traffic,

Lunner
28-09-2007, 13:30
Girl! :wink: :lol:

mike16valver
28-09-2007, 13:44
:wink:

2 live
28-09-2007, 14:21
Girl! :wink: :lol:

2nd ed ;)

richy
28-09-2007, 14:21
right my clutch is on its way out sharpish and i need a replacement, its not slipping but is hard to get in gear and if i floor it i really have to push it into the next gear :( also some mad noises coming from inside the box/clutch area so im thinking its popped a spring and the noise is that bouncing aroud inside the clutch :shock: had a look on gsf site and they list 2 uprated clutchs for the r5gt, one sach and some other heavy duty one. which one do i get? planning on doing this the weekend depending on weather and if midge/bass want to help :wink:

ive just bought the new model uprated clutch, its a valeo unit which comes in a green box, its fitted (fits perfect btw) but the engine/box isnt in the car just yet!

Matty86
28-09-2007, 14:22
sach have a good reputation

good to know, ive got one in the valver :D

clutch probably laughs at the small amount of torque thrown at it :D

alex_e3
28-09-2007, 14:22

i have to say, its brilliant, really really light, i have no problems at all, not even when i am in traffic,

Have done this exact conversion with that clutch myself. Must agree that it's really really light. Pedal sits slightly higher up, but soon got used to it.

Yes i know - i'm a girl as well! (It's technically the mrs' car on paper, so i'll say it's for her!!!! :P )

mike16valver
28-09-2007, 14:25

Have done this exact conversion with that clutch myself. Must agree that it's really really light. Pedal sits slightly higher up, but soon got used to it.

Yes i know - i'm a girl as well! (It's technically the mrs' car on paper, so i'll say it's for her!!!! :P )

Why struggle, if you can make things easier for yourself, :D

You guys are jst jealous :roll: ha ha ha

alex_e3
28-09-2007, 15:12
^^^ Agreed!!!! :goodposting:

Matty86
28-09-2007, 16:01
how much higher is it?

I'm taking apart my new valver to change the clutch and want to go soft pedal :D

The release bearing in my old valver is ****ed too, so Ive gotta take the box off for that too... is it a worthwhile mod?

Matty86
28-09-2007, 16:01
oh... and if the pedal is higher - i take it you have to press the clutch in further (overall) to change gear?

mike16valver
28-09-2007, 16:08
the pedal does site slightly higher, and the biting point is different from what you would normally be used to... but you do get used to it. eventually..

the over all travel of the pedal IS abit more, you have to shave some off you pedal stop for it to disengage properly,

I have it done and love it, coops has it done, i know cliokiz HAD it done... alex_e3 has is done...

BUT... you do have to use an IK, standard won't fit unless you butcher it,

if your uprating your clutch, try it out , thats my opinion.... :D

mike

MAXIBOY
28-09-2007, 16:14
i prefer my paddle clutch girls...

Matty86
28-09-2007, 16:18
ah, I'm not keen on tampering with the OE airbox :D

mike16valver
28-09-2007, 16:31
i prefer my paddle clutch girls...

Good for you matey :wink:

jay s
28-09-2007, 17:23
phoned them up today and ordered one, got a phone call at 3 saying its ready to collect :D im not getting the sach one now as the part number i gave him comes up as a laguna clutch and im not sure if they are the same... ordered the other heavy duty clutch which the fella reckons is a valeo item.. thats oe right ? i take it that it has a higer torque rating tho??? anyway midge has said he'll give me a hand :D so bit of luck will be done this weekend :roll:

jay s
28-09-2007, 17:24
oh and will i have to get a clutch lining tool ? and what about the flywheel does it need skimming ?

mike16valver
28-09-2007, 18:00
oh and will i have to get a clutch lining tool ? and what about the flywheel does it need skimming ?

Your best off getting a clutch alignment tool, makes life much easier..

and as for the skimming the flywheel, no you don't have to.

mike

Lunner
28-09-2007, 18:54
Get a 1/2" extension bar and wrap insulation tape round it so it sits in the hole, or i've done it before by eye

richy
28-09-2007, 19:33
as lunner said, you can use a extension bar or do it by eye if you havent got a tool, i fitted mine by eye and box went straighton first time(lucky eh!) :lol:

alex_e3
28-09-2007, 20:02
Some clutches come with a little plastic aligning tool - did the job for me. The R5 uprated one didn't though. Yes the clutch you've ordered is the right one i think - mine was valeo. Is rated to about 200 lb/ft or something like that - someone on here will tell you exactly.

My clutch pedal sits a little bit higher, got used to it in a couple of days. However, i keep meaning to get another pedal stop, as i've trimmed too much off - i can definitely get the pedal sitting much lower than it is. Trial and error jobbie really.

I suppose it all depends where you live and if you're likely to be sitting in traffic. I live in the country, but am regularly sat in traffic. It's soooooo much easier to live with than the OE clutch was. In fact, it was lighter than my old 03 plate laguna clutch was!

Personally, i'd do it again. Plus the parts only come to about £24. Volvo dealers were much more helpful than the usual renault shite we all have to put up with!

alex_e3
28-09-2007, 20:05
Oh and as for not wanting to tamper with the airbox - go scuttle induction kit!!!!

Andy's organising a group buy at the mo!

richy
28-09-2007, 20:11
mines a trackcar which i rarely drive on the road, got the 182 for daily!

jay s
01-10-2007, 02:35
what a weekend :roll: , was gonna change the clutch on sunday but as weather was good on saturday i thought id give it a go early... phoned midge and told him to come over so we can get the engine out. while i was waiting for him i poped out to pick up the clutch and engine crane, got to gsf ok then went to get the crane, well the car had other ideas :evil: bang goes the clutch on the way to collect engine crane :cry: get a call from midge to say his just arrived at the same time :lol: phoned the rac who ended up being an hour and twenty mins. when he arrived told him i was on my way to collect an engine crane and still need to collect it :wink: so off we went with me in tow :D arrived home 2:30 hrs after midge came down for him to tell me his got to go soon :roll: so we quickly did what we could then called it a day. got up bright and early this morning and early did what i cracked on. every thing was going well untill i started lifting the engine out, i had'nt take the downpipe off all the way and thought it would pull itself out when the engine comes out, nope no such luck. insted the bastard got stuck on solid and i could'nt get it off for love nor money. waited 3hours for bass to turn up then still took us both a good hour, poxy supersprint. evently got the eng out and clutch off and boy was that clucth ****ed :lol: anyway new one is fitted and feels loads better, very springy as said above but will get use to it. one thing do i need to run the new clutch in or is it ok to boot it from the off??
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/gearboxchange011.jpg

Wobba
04-10-2007, 00:23
lol @ clutch