PDA

View Full Version : The Mark 1 Coops Solid, Adjustable Dogbone!

Coops
21-09-2007, 20:35
My plight is still pants, the engine now site spot on in the right place thanks to the Coops Mk1 Solid, Adjustable Dogbone Mount (tm) and the exhaust no longer catches on anything, but the damn vibration is still there! am thinking must be collapsed bearing on offside hub, will change that and see how it goes!

on the plus side the gearchange is now really positive and the car feels alot better, less engine movement, when driving, also feels like a right slag on idle sat still or under low revs/manouvering, vibrations in the car make it feel right like a racing car! :twisted: and as the revs rise you can really FEEL the power through the chassis now, love it! :twisted: :twisted:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/Turbo/P9210038.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/Turbo/P9210039.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/Turbo/P9210040.jpg

Coops

MAXIBOY
21-09-2007, 20:53
very nice mate how much.

Coops
21-09-2007, 21:14
easy enough to knock up mate, bit of threaded bar, few nuts n couple of rose joints, job done!

Daz.
21-09-2007, 21:27
Thats a clever little solution!

mine idles like a biatch too - can't look in the rear view mirror at traffic lights it doesn't stop moving lol

schakal
21-09-2007, 21:32
looks good but
aint you just pissing on the idea of
"if it aint flexin ,its gonna be breakin" ?? :P

Coops
21-09-2007, 21:43
yep, and i'll keep pissin till it breaks! :twisted:

well that gotta keep engine still as possible otherwise its the downpipe or rack thats gonna bite the dust 1st!

dhay14
21-09-2007, 23:03
very nice coops :evil:

lewis_willy2
21-09-2007, 23:17
thats on my list, good stuff as always coops

MatBrown
21-09-2007, 23:27
As Schak's said, your other engine mounts will die very quickly now as they will be taking more pressure.

Mat.

Purple
22-09-2007, 00:02
Have you tried changing the mount bushes to polyurethanes? That will hold the engine in place better than the normal rubber bushes.

Daz.
22-09-2007, 00:14
As Schak's said, your other engine mounts will die very quickly now as they will be taking more pressure.

Mat.

Maybe he should weld the engine to the bay :wink:

Coops
22-09-2007, 09:55
bugger the other bushes, cheaper and easier to replace than downpipe and other bespoke turbo bits! mark 2 adjustable mount will include a small bush anyway, this is the trail version! :wink:

the point is my downpipe catches on my rack no matter what i do with engine movement on standard location, so i needed the adjustability to poistion the engine exactly where i want it on the other mounts and hold it there to prevent the catching, now it sits perfectly with clearance for the downpipe and the turbo to bulkhead. as said its not for everyone but with my setup compromises must be made, just ask neil about wheel bearings! :lol:

Purple
22-09-2007, 10:47
Can't you re-position the downpipe instead, rather than trying hold the engine out of its way. May be couple of well placed metal ties to pull it slightly away from the engine?

Coops
22-09-2007, 11:18
not a chance mate, entire exhaust system is solid from head back, no joints with allowable play in them, the downpipe bolts solidly to the turbo iteself, so without hackin downpipe apart nope, not an option. only other thing i can really do is take the whole lot apart again, and have the dowpipe modified.

schakal
22-09-2007, 11:39

Mat.

Maybe he should weld the engine to the bay :wink:

that would be very clever now ,would it not :?

http://www.f7power.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/sterb1881bq.gif

cliolord
22-09-2007, 19:14
lol probably start twisting the chassis then :lol: vibration to the bone. Ever sat on an F7? I'd try it first :wink:

Good little toold there Coops. Some of your ideas are pretty smashing son!

eternalife
23-09-2007, 01:01

Mat.

As well as the box.

Word of caution - that dogbone replacement dont seem it will be as strong as standard - might wana keep an eye on it.

Coops
23-09-2007, 16:42
you ever tried breakin a m10 stainless bolt? use them for slide hammers to remove the rear torsion bars, think its gonna be reet! run it for 100 or so miles now and its holdin up fine, gearbox is being replaced next year anyway and as said this car is all about compromise :twisted:

eternalife
23-09-2007, 23:27
you ever tried breakin a m10 stainless bolt? use them for slide hammers to remove the rear torsion bars, think its gonna be reet! run it for 100 or so miles now and its holdin up fine, gearbox is being replaced next year anyway and as said this car is all about compromise :twisted:

Definitely like your way of thinking!

Never tried and have used them as a slide hammer too - just not sure how good they are at taking lateral forces - someone from here broke a standard mount :shock: when they spun off and things got a bit bumpy just make sure you keep on track :wink:

Watching brief is always advisable :P

Also, Is the bolt holding your modded dogbone touching ur downpipe (the nut end)? i know mine vibrated as the bolthead was in the same way you have put it. Got it changed around (so that bolthead was on side of downpipe) and no vibration/knocking. Others I have heard shortened the bolt itself. Just a thought... :oops:

Coops
24-09-2007, 19:29
nah mate, my entire d/pipe is shifted over the other side, no where near that bolt anymore, altho i know what u mean as my old valver had that issue till i flipped the bolt round! 8)

Budji
25-09-2007, 10:27
Found that on mine as well, when I did the mount I flipped the bolt.

Good work on the solid mount coops, have to let us know how long the other mounts last for now tho ;)

stew
04-10-2007, 08:57
looks pretty clever coops. 8)

i would be worried about the other mounts though. are they not quite expensive?

arj256
04-10-2007, 15:43
bugger the other bushes, cheaper and easier to replace than downpipe and other bespoke turbo bits! mark 2 adjustable mount will include a small bush anyway, this is the trail version! :wink:

the point is my downpipe catches on my rack no matter what i do with engine movement on standard location, so i needed the adjustability to poistion the engine exactly where i want it on the other mounts and hold it there to prevent the catching, now it sits perfectly with clearance for the downpipe and the turbo to bulkhead. as said its not for everyone but with my setup compromises must be made, just ask neil about wheel bearings! :lol:

Not a bad temporary fix, but its not going to be doing your mounts any favours.
And for the price of changing other mounts over time. It would work out the same to have a new downpipe made up.

Coops
04-10-2007, 20:20
ai, as said temp fix its good, the mk 2 will be incorporating a bush to make it same as a tiger sealed dogbone. no way can i afford new downpipe for now so got to make the best of it for now! :twisted:

schakal
04-10-2007, 21:14
is this car running at the moment ??
if so how many miles you done with this mount ?

Coops
04-10-2007, 21:15
yes its runnin and around 100 odd miles now i rekon, just under