PDA

View Full Version : engine mount bolts snapped inside gearbox help me please

bendee
18-09-2007, 16:19
so the other day i noticed the engine rocking back and fourth quite vilantly especially in first at high revs when coming off the gas and going back on.

had alook around the mounts and couldnt see a problem so wobbled th engine and it did move back and fourth without much effort.
so i took battery and air box off and noticed that only one bolt gearbox side was holding the engine up eek and ofcourse the one with the rubber thingy.
took the mount and battery tray off and pulled 2 bolts out no problem and found they had snapped and are stuck in the gearbox.
also did some hunting for some pics and found theres meant to be a strap going from mount to gearbox and that wasnt on the car ( it was in the spares box the guy gave me) so that needs to go on.

heres a couple pics of the gearbox with bolts stuck

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f357/bendeelee/gearbox.jpg.jpg

and then the bolts 2 snapped one intact

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f357/bendeelee/bolots.jpg.jpg

anyway would this of happend because the mount was without the suport of the strap?
i also have one that doesnt go all over like the one on the williams take it its just the 16v one?

but the real question is how do i get the bolts out?
i got some reversed thread thingys to screw in and turn out but i cant get a drill in to creat a hole in the bolts becuase of the damn abs.

i was also tod welding nuts on the end and then turning them out would work but i have no welder and for someone to do it i need to take it to them but i cant move the car.

so any sugestions?

northy
18-09-2007, 16:26
i would start with a small drill and work up and drill them out. Make sure u get them back on centre so u dont damage the thread.

bendee
18-09-2007, 16:29
cant get a drill in there becuase of the angle the bolts go in and the fact i have the abs unit there

bendee
18-09-2007, 16:34
also do they look like the right bolts? as they didnt look to strong

northy
18-09-2007, 16:35
in that case u can either remove the box and repair - or locate a replacement ?

bendee
18-09-2007, 16:57
i was thinking that might have to be the case.. bugger lack of knowledge is a cunt lol

Matty86
18-09-2007, 17:17
other way round for me :?

bolts took the thread out of the gearbox..

bendee
19-09-2007, 12:58
its a bitch aint it anyone know if i can move the abs out the way?

valver_Karl
19-09-2007, 13:31
i had the same problem m8, and i managed to get a drill in there but i only drilled a small hole then i used a left handed drill bit (means when it drills in it spins the other way so the thread comes out,

bendee
19-09-2007, 17:49
thats what i was planning on doing got all the bits just cant get tthe drill in there because of the angle

summeh
19-09-2007, 19:52
I would try easyouts like you suggest first. If that doesn't work then really the only option is to drill them out starting small. The threads on the hearbox are probabl ****ed (why it's seized) so you'll have to get new threads cut in and use a slightly larger bolt. Shouldn't be to hard.

BTW my cup doesn't run the strap either and thats fine. Although I do have the R19 mount as well.

I would say some muppet has either cross threaded or stripped the threads in the gearbox. Easy to do on alu.

bendee
20-09-2007, 16:32
i dont know if the thread are seized or anything i just need to try and get a drill that can fit unless the abs is moveable.

Lunner
20-09-2007, 18:01
find someone with an angled drill.

If it was me i'd bolt it back up with teh existing bolts and limp to a garage and get them to sort it, or take box to an engineering place etc

valver_Karl
22-09-2007, 19:21
this just happened to mine

breezerbill
22-09-2007, 22:01
we've got an angled drill at work if your interested mate ??
only thing is it's an air drill so you'd need a half decent compressor to run it.

bendee
23-09-2007, 13:41
sorted it yesterday chaps rented a angle drill and went through 5 drill bits was easy to turn them out just a bugger gripping the easyouts.

think one of them has threaded so gonna take the car to get them all helicoiled for peice of mind.

having a mk1 clio is certainly a learning experiance lol

valver_Karl
23-09-2007, 16:07
lol ye u can say that again.