PDA

View Full Version : Valver won't start

chop_suey83
16-09-2007, 19:17
right, as the title says i have at this moment a completely non starting valver on my drive, let me tell you the exciting story of my afternoon.

first off i was parked in the petrol station with almost no fuel waiting for the mrs to get some shopping. i was going to fill up then but decided to take her home first. Anywho, i start the car fine, but the revs start to drop, untill finally the engine stops.

i try starting again a few times, being less and less successful each time until finally the engine is only turning over and not firing at all. i assume its out of fuel so i push it to the pump (embarasing!) and fill it up. still nothing, boo.

cut to later and the cars towed home. i take a plug out and see theres no spark! i have a quick bash with the old multi meter and see that the ignition seems to be working. i also try jumpstarting, to no effect.

so thats where i'm at, any ideas?

p.s very sorry about spelling, but i'm thick.

Mr.AdamB
16-09-2007, 19:18
change ure dizzy cap, rotor arm after that it might be ure coil,

Lunner
16-09-2007, 19:23
Fuel filter might be clogged with all the shite from the bottom of the tank, my old RSi used to get like that if i ran it right down, still dont' explain the no spark

chop_suey83
16-09-2007, 19:34
i'll have a look at the filter tomorrow.

Mr.AdamB
16-09-2007, 20:11
its probably not the filter cuz it wuld still fire up but be leen if u getwat i mean.

id go with wat i said 1st off.

Lunner
17-09-2007, 09:03
Anywho, i start the car fine, but the revs start to drop, untill finally the engine stops.

Classic signs of no fuel that.

Might be that you simply dont' ahve enough power left in battery to start it?

chop_suey83
17-09-2007, 16:22
right i've charged it over night and it still doesnt start. going to check for fuel soon.

i dont think its a problem with the dizzy, put a spark plug in the HT lead to the dizzy and it still didnt spark,
what a ballache

northy
17-09-2007, 16:35
take the fuel pipe off at the engine and see if your getting fuel...if your not taken the fuel pump isnt working.

mike16valver
17-09-2007, 16:37
Have check at your earths matey,

This happened to me, it would turn over np, but when i remove a HT lead i had no spark, i thought it was my coil :?

until i noticed an earth had snapped free,due engine movement, i no this shouldn't happen, but we are talking about Clio's here, they make the impossible happen (sometimes)

iirc the earth that had snapped on me was the earth strapped to the top gearbox mount, re-earthed it again and job was a grand one.

its worth a try before you start replacing things

Mike

chop_suey83
18-09-2007, 17:58
quick update:

i now have it sparking, i just dont think it was earthed properly when testing.
fuel filter is clear but i dont seem to be able to get fuel to engine yet. i guess i should test the pump next, maybe turning it over on empty burned it out?

bah got to go out now, want to sat and keep going lol!

MAXIBOY
18-09-2007, 18:01
check for power at the pump. could be a relay etc immobiliser issues etc.

if you have power maybe its the pump but check others first.

chop_suey83
25-09-2007, 22:40
UPDATE

i'm getting a spark at the plugs.
when i turn over the engine the fuel pump doesnt run. i've changed the pump
but it still doesn't work.

any idea what it could be?

Bailey_1260
25-09-2007, 23:06
Imobiliser?

northy
26-09-2007, 08:05