PDA

View Full Version : gearbox leak

rob-legend
14-09-2007, 18:18
i'd been putting up with a leak on my gearbox for about a fortnight or so now, so i thought i'd better get it checked out, i took it to a garage i go to, and apparently the leak is caused by a seal on the crankshaft and is going to be a pricey thing to fix, has anyone had this problem before? and how expensive is it to sort out, or is anyone willing to do it for me? if so how long? i'm not very mechanically minded, so i have no idea (still learning), thanks guys. rob.

Lunner
14-09-2007, 18:56
Is it leaking gearbox oil or engine oil, gearbox oil smells sweet, very distinctive stong smell.

If its engine oil and its dripping from teh engine to gearbox joint it wil likley be the crankshaft oil seal, gearbox, clutch and flywheel off to sort it, good 12 hours work

number1
14-09-2007, 19:36
Is it leaking gearbox oil or engine oil, gearbox oil smells sweet, very distinctive stong smell.

Smells sweet? are you mad? gearbox oil ******* Stinks, if you get it in your clothes or overalls they ruined!! makes me urge!!

Dave

BristolSam16v
14-09-2007, 19:49

Smells sweet? are you mad? gearbox oil ******* Stinks, if you get it in your clothes or overalls they ruined!! makes me urge!!

Dave

lol he means sweet as in opposite to sour :P and u dont exactly wear ure overalls around the house so who cares bout bit of oil, pussy :P

Lunner
14-09-2007, 20:14
smells like cats piss lol

I have to wash my work cloths seperate to anything else if i ahve gearbox oil on them otherwise al the other cloths stink, even after they've been washed

BristolSam16v
14-09-2007, 20:33
I wouldn't wash my overalls etc anywhere near my normal clothes :shock:

number1
14-09-2007, 20:57

Dave

lol he means sweet as in opposite to sour :P and u dont exactly wear ure overalls around the house so who cares bout bit of oil, pussy :P

No but when your a mechanic for a living and get a bit on your overalls first thing in the day..... ive lost count how many overalls ruined, i know he meant sweet as in not sour lol,

Dave

rob-legend
15-09-2007, 12:24
haha, it does smell of crap, it is gearbox oil. so does tht mean?

rob-legend
15-09-2007, 12:25
sorry, WHAT does that mean? is that equally as bad a job?

Lunner
15-09-2007, 12:27
Means your gearbox is leaking somewhere, most common place is where the gear selector goes in, wipe it all off underneath and then go back an hour or so later and you shoudl see where its running from.

The garage said its crankshaft seal, in which case it woudl be engine oil, might be input shaft seal, but if thats the case chances are your clutch would be slipping like a bitch

BristolSam16v
15-09-2007, 12:42
Bit obvious but it could just be the driveshaft gaitor?

rob-legend
15-09-2007, 13:12
well i'm unsure, it seems to me like its leaking from the bottom of the gearbox, like if you look underneath and there is what seems to be a bolt hole, and its dripping from there.does anyone understand that? :?

Lunner
15-09-2007, 13:23
Yeah know where you mean, thats simply the lowest point on teh gearbox, it will be running down fron somewhere to there

rob-legend
15-09-2007, 16:45
great, but with it leaking 'box oil, and having been told news about the crankshaft seal, would that make sense? that its leaking 'box oil from hat seal?

u33db
15-09-2007, 17:05
I've had the crank seal issue on my RSI, had it replaced but the crank was badly worn so the leak never went away....clutch didn't slip though.

As said above sounds like a box leak.

No doubt the garage know this but are hoping they can charge for the crank job and get some easy holiday money!

rob-legend
15-09-2007, 17:12
i know, i'm a bit concerned, and i have not a lot of money, as williams ownership is costly, anyone up my end fancy giving it a look or me hand (ie you do, i observe and learn) on getting it sorted? obiously i'll fund it like. i'min the north east of england, near middlesbrough. :roll:

Clio_GTT
15-09-2007, 19:55
I'd have a look at it mate but i'm miles away, take some decent pictures and we can have a butchers, if the oil smells rancid then it's gearbox oil and will most likely be coming from the driveshaft.

number1
16-09-2007, 14:44
Clean the box as best you can with brake cleaner, leave it a couple hours see if you have any leaks.. if not drive it until its warm and check again, try and post up some pics if you can.

Clutches wont always slip if its your crankseal, as the oil flicks off the flywheel before it gets to the clutch, however i think when the input shaft seal goes the clutch becomes saturated

Dave

rob-legend
16-09-2007, 18:59
ok will do, thanks guys, i'm away for work for a couple of days, but i'll pop 'em up asap, thanks again.