PDA

View Full Version : Headwork & Cams 16v. Opinions.

big hp
16-02-2005, 12:16
Whats peoples opinions of head work and cams to the 1.8 16v lump?

My best mate works at a porsche race team and has suggested cams and head work would give me what i'm looking for a lot less money then buying a F7R lump.

I can get head work done cheap through my mate who would also fit the cams.

This would give me a spec consisting of:- s/s exhaust, decat, filter, chip, head and cams.

Surely that work would give me the same figures as a standard williams lump, at a cheaper cost. (I apprecdiate a F7R produces power low down)

Has anyone had this type of work done? what did/do you think of it?

Cheers

2 live
16-02-2005, 12:40
sounds about the same spec as craigs old un...but i think he secretly hampered for the 2.0 power , an in the end got the yellow beast hehe....

hes ur man to talk to....

but just to add another twist....sell ur valver, put any money u had for mods on top of wot u get for ur valver....hey presto.probs got enuff to buy a willy lol

just a thort...u know u want to

big hp
16-02-2005, 12:48
But they don't do a naples williams :(

2 live
16-02-2005, 12:51
but they dont do a rare valver with 150 bhp to start with.........oh sorry ..yes they do..its a williams :wink:

Swervin_Mervin
16-02-2005, 12:55
I was thinking about this not too long ago, but now I've decided to keep mine standard-ish for a year and then move on to a whole new kind of car..

2 live
16-02-2005, 12:59
lol....i sooooo wanted to do the whole 2.0 conversion thing to me black valver all those years ago.........added it up what itd cost me, willy block/ecu/box/susp.....added that cost to the value of mine.....and came up with a few quid short of a willy......chipped in a bit more n never really looked back......as much as i enjoyed the valver, the willy just got all my attention......

dont think i could ever replace it tbh

Swervin_Mervin
16-02-2005, 13:01
I'm going to a different motor altogether :twisted:

big hp
16-02-2005, 13:04
I prefer the option of 2.0 in a valver, rather then selling to buy a williams.

(gets coat ready) Willified valvers also tend to be faster then the real thing.

I just had a new rear quarter and door in the last 4 months where a drunk driver hit in while it was parked outside my mums. All genuine parts and my mate done a beautiful job. So bodywork wise its mint, so's the engine 81k FRSH just fancy a bit more power.

2 live
16-02-2005, 13:04
wot u after mate?

Swervin_Mervin
16-02-2005, 13:35
It's top secret for now. I'm planning the project out already! I'm stuck between 2 cars though, one would be more refined and newer the other cheaper less refined.

2 live
16-02-2005, 13:45
cheaper .less refined sounds good....more money to spend on mods then :twisted:

KingStromba
16-02-2005, 13:57
Bih hp, what did your body work cost?

big hp
16-02-2005, 14:02
£500 in parts including brand new, genuine rear quarter, door, paint, clips etc. And My mate didn't want paying as he done it in his spare time at work but I gave him £250.

I've got pics i'll post them up later, shows my car smashed as the drunk left it, (wanker) rear quarter stripped off, new door on, new quarter on, paint etc etc. Considering the state of it my mate done a awesome job, can't thank him enough.

u33db
16-02-2005, 16:03
big hp: i had cams, chip, PAS removed and willy track fitted on mine...all of which adds up to a quick car that handles well...easily as good as a std williams. As you know, i'm now selling mine now to have something cheaper...i guess i have broken my 16v obsession so heres what i think;

Dont bother - just go the 2ltr route.

Don't get me wrong, my 16v is fun, it's quick but IMO tuning the 16v is a trade off...on the one hand you'll get more power but on the otherhand it becomes a pain to drive normally as it becomes even more peaky so less flexible.