PDA

View Full Version : L reg 1.8 16v clutch problems

LEEDASH
12-09-2007, 19:21
here goes,brought valver had gear selection problem checked cable and peddle fine.
Had clutch changed which was a genuine renault one matched up to old one im told by garage.
drives but been told its not clearing enough so it is sometimes hard to engage in to gear.
has i was on my hols when garage changed clutch they changed it even though there was nothing wrong with the old one.
having known no history of vehicle im none the wiser,so could it be that there may be more than one choice of clutch for this vehicle ? or do i need a high performance clutch help.
can supply renault part no of this helps any one ?

BRUN
12-09-2007, 19:22
do you have enough oil in the gearbox ?

and it does make sense to change the clutch whilst its off cos its a big job that you dont really wanna do again and it at least rules it out, or should do

LEEDASH
12-09-2007, 19:28
The garage has been going donkeys years and they cant work it out,that why they suggested i look in to it and see if there is another clutch on the same year has some parts cross over on months even though in the same year

number1
13-09-2007, 18:11
Clutch ratchet and pedal might need adjusting or replacing

Dave

Budji
13-09-2007, 18:55
as above the ratchet mechanism will either need resetting or replacing

Scougar
14-09-2007, 09:46
lol.. worth a shot... just be prepared for an absolute git of a job. Plan a whole day for it just in case you have a problem. You most likely won't need a whole day, but it is a nightmare job for something you would think should be pretty darn simple.

Matthew

Daz.
14-09-2007, 10:44
Pedal and ratchet have made many apperances lately!!

Notice its fixed pretty much everyones problems too? 8)

Scougar
14-09-2007, 10:56
Yup mine needs doing again :( Pretty sure it's a sign of a knackered clutch. Can't afford to do either of them this month, totally screwed financially, trying to support my wife and myself until my wife starts work eek.

Matthew

Daz.
14-09-2007, 11:01
Yup missus has gone to uni for a 12 month Pgce course in teaching - so my lifes on halt for 12-15 months :cry:

Looks like I'll end up being 26 and STILL living at home! :lol:

Scougar
14-09-2007, 11:19
After being to uni, returning home to finish of degree at another uni, I have only just moved out when I was 29 from my parents! It's costing me everything I have and more, but so glad I'm out lol.

£500 rent + water + lecky + council tax + 2 cars insurance + 2 cars fuel + 2 peoples food.

Overall without overtime (not had any so far), I get about £22.5k per year as a software developer. That doesn't go anywhere I can tell you.

Matthew

Daz.
14-09-2007, 11:38
Nope bet it doesn't! They've stopped all overtime at work at the moment - thats why I'm sat here now...

Mind you I'd rather have that than possibly being made redundant next Thursday :shock:

mike16valver
14-09-2007, 11:39
The paul and ratchet mite need adjusting for the clutch i had to do it to mine, or it mite be possible that the clutch cable mite have stretched due to the other clutch.

Hope you sort it matey

mike

Scougar
14-09-2007, 13:07
Daz > :(

OP> The clutch ratchet and cable is worth a shot. Many probs have been solved by changing this innocent looking device. It is a pig to do, but is pretty likely to sort your clutch out.

By the way.. did they change the clutch, plate and bearing or JUST the clutch ?

Matthew

Lunner
14-09-2007, 19:00
Its always worth just taking cable off pedal and re-tensioning it before we start on teh expensive optioins

Pedal is a piece of piss mate, just a cunt to get to

SilverValver
18-09-2007, 18:55
I hate clio clutches. Mine was the bain of my life and was what put me off the car.

The bite was all over the place because the rubber used to get hot and stretch.

We tried all sorts of things to get over it:

-New cables X3 (that 3 really horrible times i took the skin off my arm down the back of the mainifold!)

-New pedal and ratchet

-New CLUTCH!

-New fork on gear box where the cables connects.

Yet the problem kept creeping up. I changed the final cable last year and it seemed good. Basically though it seems to be that the rubber on the end of the cable is more compressive when hot which results in poor clutch action.

I got through three cables in total because they either snapped or the rubber fell apart. This may have been due to spacing the cable and messing around with the pedal etc. At the time though we needed to do these things to make it fit.

The final cable didn't need any spacers so hopefully the new owner has not had any trouble. It was fine the few times I drove it but at the time it was more or a weekend car than the every day machine so didn't see much use.