PDA

View Full Version : Sorted my whining PAS

Scougar
08-09-2007, 20:30
Hi guys,

Gotta say thankyou to my wife for sorting it though(as she was so embarassed to be in the whining car with me!). Ok I had managed to convince myself that the PAS pump was stuffed and all hope was lost, until my wife forced me to go to halfords and actually buy some fluid. I got some slick 50 PAS fluid and topped it up to the top of the vent holes (vertical slates), and suddenly, it was quiet as a mouse. I honestly can't even hear it anymore.

Now to some of you, this may sound like an obvious thing, but I have checked before what level it was and to me, it 'seemed' fine. Stunned at the difference such a small amount of fluid can make.

My wife tells it's because women know all about lube! lol

I have never had a problem with PAS on any other car so obviously learnt something today, and maybe just reiteratted its always worth checking even if it 'looks' ok with the level.

Matthew

Allan
08-09-2007, 21:38
lol your wife sounds like a laugh :D

glad you sorted your steering, mine still whines a little might have to bleed it i think

alex_e3
08-09-2007, 23:42
Mine's a pain in the ass! If you top the reservoir up quite high, the whining completely vanishes and it's oh so quiet.

Then next morning you find it's spat loads of fluid out through the lid!

Coops
09-09-2007, 00:00
if u use plenty of lube, it'll never be a pain in your ass :shock: :shock:

alex_e3
09-09-2007, 10:25
:goodposting: lol

BRUN
09-09-2007, 12:01
the Slick 50 stuff IS very good

Imperial_16v
09-09-2007, 16:08
Interesting!

So did you drain any out or just add the Slick50 to the fluid already in?

Cheers. :)

Might have to do mine as it whines like a b*ch too!

Daz.
09-09-2007, 16:11
Mine's a pain in the ass! If you top the reservoir up quite high, the whining completely vanishes and it's oh so quiet.

Cover the hole!

clio_rsi_turbo
09-09-2007, 18:23
^^ ooo ehhh!^^

FATBOY
09-09-2007, 19:46

Cover the hole!

thats not a good idea. it serves as a vent

Daz.
09-09-2007, 20:22
Anyone ever run with it shut off to see what happens though?

alex_e3
09-09-2007, 20:24
^^^ I was wondering that one too........

Bailey_1260
09-09-2007, 20:28
Bloke before me put cling film over top of reservoir and put cap on.

Fluid just pissed out the side and now i recon the pump is fecked.

mon
09-09-2007, 21:55
Interesting!

So did you drain any out or just add the Slick50 to the fluid already in?

Cheers. :)

Might have to do mine as it whines like a b*ch too!

no not done that .. you just empty as mutch as you can out of res then top up .. to the inner ring not top of vents

or inner ring peace

Scougar
10-09-2007, 09:56
Just to say what I did... drove to halfords, got the fluid, then went to homebase to give car time to cool (30mins I guess), then went back to car and wiped the cap clean. Topped up to the top of the vertical slates/gaps, and put cap back on. Turned car on within about a minute, and there was no whining at all. So perhaps the whining is the system taking in air, and the extra fluid just stopped it taking in air?

I have driven about 50 miles now since I did that, and 2 things I have noted. Absolutely not whining, and also, no fluid has come out the cap!

I would also say that when putting in the slick 50 stuff (which mentioned in helps out the oil seals hence the reason I bought it rather than halfords cheaper brand), how dirty the original fluid was. Might be worth attempting to drain the old oil at some point in the future and flush out with basic PSF and refill with the slick 50 stuff.

Have any of you with severe PSF spitting problems tried a new cap?

Matthew

mon
10-09-2007, 16:06
mine does spit out sometimes been told thats normal but the max level is above inner ring and if i top up it is with slick 50 stuff on secound bottle now also wot coulor is your fluid mine is red

Scougar
10-09-2007, 16:29
The slick 50 is clear, the original fluid appeared to be a murky brown/red colour. Didn't look too healthy that's for sure.

Is the problem of it spitting everywhere a design fault with them trying to squeeze it under the bonnet? (They should have added a 'power steering pump power bulge'! ;) )

So it obviously needs to vent I wonder if there's a way to stop it chucking out so much or using a vent pipe on? Mine fluid is split all down the front inner wing lol.

Matthew

mon
10-09-2007, 16:39
when you filled up did you purg the system? ie cap off and turn wheels lock to lock a few times to get air out of system.

i still get air bubbles (did on last clio) after purging system but runs ok

i put a rag around mine so if it comes out of cap (not mutch) i can just wipe it away or if runs down bottle

Scougar
10-09-2007, 17:00
Did no purging at all, never topped up any other cars PAS before. Maybe I got lucky, but just put it in, closed lid and starting car, and no whining. Believe me it was loud as hell before.

Matthew

white16valver
10-09-2007, 18:02
Mine went through a stage of pissing out loads everywhere, virtually every time I drove it :? but recently it seems to have stopped again :roll:

Do I need to clean all the leaked stuff off asap? I know it's not good, but it's a pita to get to the bits between the reservoir and the wing :(

I might try to fill it up higher and see if it helps - it's not been too noisy recently though :)

MatBrown
10-09-2007, 18:20
Any chance of a pic of the slick 50 bottle?

Mat.

Scougar
10-09-2007, 19:41
See what I can do :) Will prob have to put it up later, as going for a walk with my wife now...

Matthew

MatBrown
10-09-2007, 20:01
No rush.

Mat.

Scougar
11-09-2007, 09:55
http://www.wilcodirect.co.uk/catalog/images/large/products/TL-64099500_LRG.jpg

That's the stuff. I can still take a picture tonight if you really want though?

Matthew

Scougar
11-09-2007, 09:56
(You may need to expand the window that opens to display the picture correctly).

Matthew
p.s. BRING BACK THE EDIT BUTTON!!!!!!!!!! (please :D)

BRUN
11-09-2007, 10:02
we sell the Slick50 stuff at work if anyone needs any

Motor World

Scougar
11-09-2007, 10:07
You can use car oil as a temporary measure, but not recommended long term.

I would much rather use the slick 50 stuff than the halfords brand. At least you know some development went into the slick 50 product. (or hope it has lol).

Matthew

MatrixGuy
11-09-2007, 13:02
I bought some Slick 50 the other week as i has noisy PAS, it's now very quiet :)

Scougar
11-09-2007, 13:29
After a few days a little fluid has appeared on the cap (not overspilling though) and wierdly there is a 'very' quiet whine that I can hear now. To be honest, maybe that is just me hearing the noise that I didn't hear before as I was used to the really loud whining.

Will keep you posted lol. MUCH happier since i bought this PAS fluid though :)

Matthew

MatBrown
11-09-2007, 19:37
How much was it Matt?
How much can you do it for Brun?
Found it for £6 so far.

Mat.

Scougar
12-09-2007, 10:03
I bought it from halfords and it cost £5.99. It's more of a top-up size bottle really as it wouldn't fill the entire clio PAS system with one bottle. The Halfords bottle for about the same price may do it however.

Matthew

MatBrown
12-09-2007, 18:31
Cool, i have a trade account at halfords.

Mat.

BRUN
12-09-2007, 19:20
its £5.99

Scougar
13-09-2007, 08:39

Mat.

lol... seriously.. your worried about a few quid?

Matthew

white16valver
13-09-2007, 18:14
Tighter than a nun's ... is our mat - he's from oop north remember ;)

Budji
13-09-2007, 18:52
Mine went through a stage of pissing out loads I might try to fill it up higher and see if it helps - it's not been too noisy recently though :)

no.1 rule of valver ownership
if its not broke........ then no point in risking breaking it lol :wink:

mine make a fair bit of noise, but when I got it the PAS resivoir was nearly full and it still made a load of noise.

may get the slick50 stuff for it anyway as I need to get some PAS fluid

MatBrown
14-09-2007, 16:38

Mat.

lol... seriously.. your worried about a few quid?

Matthew

Hell Yeah!

Mat.