PDA

View Full Version : RUST!!!!! willy 2!

flat-eric
08-09-2007, 13:42
jacked the car up today to paint calipers, and found this!!!!!

drivers side
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/rballantyne/wheel002.jpg

any ideas how much to sort this?

pessenger side should be ok i think if i strip it and paint again.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/rballantyne/wheel005.jpg

MAXIBOY
08-09-2007, 17:08
you need new sills welded mate.

not sure as it depends on the extent but around 150/200 i would think.

Laine_16v
08-09-2007, 17:33
£120 a side for new sills at my local.

richy
08-09-2007, 17:36
thats nasty on o/s! mine failed its MOT with a almost identical bit, had a new section welded in mine on cheap by a mate! but its only a 16v so not arsed if it dont look mint!

flat-eric
08-09-2007, 23:25
thats nasty on o/s! mine failed its MOT with a almost identical bit, had a new section welded in mine on cheap by a mate! but its only a 16v so not arsed if it dont look mint!

any pics of the repairs? :?:

i'm going to see about getting it done on monday 8)

:wink:

matty w
09-09-2007, 08:35
my 16v was exactly the same as that just cut the bad out brought a sill and used the bits that we needed and my mate welded it up and put loads of sealer on it

MAXIBOY
09-09-2007, 12:48
if you keeping the car it would be worth doing a full sill and treating the to a good coating of weld through primer while the sill are open and a couple of litres of dinitrol when they have been done.

flat-eric
09-09-2007, 15:59
if you keeping the car it would be worth doing a full sill and treating the to a good coating of weld through primer while the sill are open and a couple of litres of dinitrol when they have been done.

ok, best way of doing this?, never done this before.

rough cost? where can i get this done? how long will this take?

im based near peterborough and the car is road legal.

thanks, rob.

northy
10-09-2007, 08:21
to do it right mate u will need

new outer sill made (custom made as u cannot buy them)
Repair to inner sill - inner sill is double skinned so to do it right u will have 2 bits of metal to replace.

I bet the arch will need repairing too - so i would get that done as i think water has run into the sill and rotted it out!

flat-eric
10-09-2007, 17:26
ok been to body shop today, they're gonna do both arches, remove rear wiper and sort rusty hole, and replace/repair outer/inner sills. :roll:

£350 the lot. done and painted. :shock:

the other sill is ok, had it on ramps to check, just needs treating a bit, and surface cleaning. :D

getting done in 2 weeks- would put in projects but im to much of a skinflint to become a member! :wink:

will stick pics up and keep you all posted.