PDA

View Full Version : My car

paush
07-09-2007, 21:17
Sorry, posted this under my newbie post without thinking

Back in 2004 before I took it off the road and molested it for my turbo conversion (January 2005)..

http://www.essexboyz.com/images/photos/00000020f.jpg
http://www.essexboyz.com/images/photos/00000017f.jpg
http://www.essexboyz.com/images/photos/00000019f.jpg

About 6 months ago..

http://www.essexboyz.com/images/photos/00000036f.jpg

More pics and info here..

http://www.essexboyz.com/dispatch.php?x=RideView&rI=1

Coops
07-09-2007, 21:39
welcome mate, another tubby lad! dont need a paddle clutch do you, trying to organise a group buy!

paush
07-09-2007, 21:44
cheers

thanks but no thanks lol, no way couldn't go back there again, had one in my rs turbo, was horrible to drive and will never forget the state of the flywheel and pressure plate after 10k!!!

this is a second car for occasional use so im going to try my luck with an uprated non-paddle

was stupid tho, didn't do much research and ordered an "uprated" one from BB tuning about 2 years ago.. its a valeo part, any ideas where this is sourced from and if they are any good?

Coops
07-09-2007, 21:46
there are pants!lol i have one currently and only just gone to high boost and its slipping, u need a paddle for over 200bhp, the valeo uprated one can be had from GSF, its a R5 GTT uprated one as far as am aware but still made from cheese! :lol:

paush
07-09-2007, 21:50
had a feeling you were going to say that lol oh well bit late now, you live you learn :(

Crossers
07-09-2007, 21:51
There's gonna be a few tubbys one here soon! :D

I can see coops and MAXIBOY getting mithered to death!

Mine goes off road after 21st Sept, all the parts should have been collected/dilivered by then :P

You intercooling or charge cooling? Low or High Boost?

Paul

paush
07-09-2007, 21:55
looking to run just under 1 bar, but i've gone for the weakest actuator possible (.65 bar) so i can get a proper boost controller in there to map the boost progressively through the gears (and hopefully give the box a bit more life lol)

haven't thought about cooling yet, just want to get the engine built up and get the car moving without the turbo first, i'd definitely prefer an intercooler though but i don't want to molest the front of the car too much if i can avoid it

good to see more people doing it though, at least i got someone to share ideas/problems (more likely the latter lol) with!!

Crossers
07-09-2007, 21:59
Charge coolers are much kinder to the front end though, little/no modding required really, except in engine bay (battery relocation)

Are you running forged pistons? The car won't run reet well at low comp without the turbo?

Paul

paush
07-09-2007, 22:05
true but i've never been convinced by those pissy little header tanks they give you for them, i'm going to relocate the battery anyway regardless..

i've took the spare wheel off so the battery relocation will make up for losing that weight at the rear, and the weight of the turbo will make up for the battery i've moved

yes running wossner pistons as well, c/r will be around or just under 8.5:1

yep i know the car will run terrible, but don't mind its only to run it in, i just have to move the car itself ASAP, its already stored at three different places without an engine in it lol peoples patience is wearing thin

Crossers
07-09-2007, 22:12
lol, i know what u mean!

Thats why i've got mine micro planned!! Waiting till all (well, most) parts arrive, then borrowing my bro's second car. I've then a month, at a push month/half to get it sorted. Taking time off work, as i know things...lots of things will FUBAR :twisted:

I've gone for charge cooling because like you i don't want to change the appearance of the Williams, or have to piss about with the large intercooling pipework.

Paul

paush
07-09-2007, 22:17
all sounds promising, hope it goes well for you! in fact, i might wait a month to study your lessons learned first :wink: :lol:

yep, im hoping i can do some more logical thinking about cooling once everythings back in the engine bay

my only doubt about the whole conversion is if i ruin the whole williams package with all that mid range torque coming in mid bend or roundabout, that was the whole meaning of this car to me!!!

Daz.
07-09-2007, 22:21
One day I will pull my finger out and start this modifying malarky - it just took way too long just getting the bugger back to standard first!

paush
07-09-2007, 22:25
Don't do it.. it drains the wallet and patience lol!

Daz.
07-09-2007, 22:42
That doesn't matter anymore the missus did tha years ago

Coops
07-09-2007, 23:09
the car turboed is a totally different animal, if i'm honest i dont enjoy it on the valver/williams stomping ground as much as it is, as in lots of tight B roads, but then again i havent had a blast since i sorted the handling :wink:

chargecooler is best imo, keeps it lookin o/e on the exterior and also less pipework so easier to fit and less lag :twisted:

paush
07-09-2007, 23:12
really? what have you done to the suspension now then?

i changed EVERYTHING suspension wise except the torsion bars and ARB's for new renault stuff about 6 months before i took it off the road.. what a transformation from the old tired stuff (which was still impressive enough when i first got the car)

Coops
07-09-2007, 23:28
its on FK coilovers matey, but they were on tractor stance, i've wound them down a tad since to get the road holding right, not been out since as with H/G blowing n turbo dyin on me not had chance, but fingers crossed my oil; feed connection will show tomos and am off for a spin! :twisted:

MAXIBOY
08-09-2007, 01:07
chargecooler is best imo, keeps it lookin o/e on the exterior

thats why i decided on the charge cooler

Crossers
08-09-2007, 01:25

:shock: lol

Paul

Daz.
08-09-2007, 02:39
chargecooler is best imo, keeps it lookin o/e on the exterior

:lol: :wink:

matty w
08-09-2007, 21:55
what headgasket are people using with the turbo conversion and what compression ratio are the lowcomp pistons?

MAXIBOY
08-09-2007, 22:16
some are using standard gaskets some a Spesso gaskets available in different thickness.

you can have the pistons in any comp ratio but most are 8.5 too 1