PDA

View Full Version : Engine out to change clutch

Scougar
06-09-2007, 13:22
Hi chaps,

1) Basically, is it easier and probably less hassle just to pull the engine out to change the clutch/plate/bearing ?
2) Never changed a clutch (somehow got away with it for 10 years!) so is it just take old stuff of plop new one on), or do I have to remove gearbox etc?

I don't have the money to replace much else so not looking for an answer of 'you may as well replace other stuff so pull it out'. (Well no money till my wife starts working anyway).

I am fairly competant home mechanic and installed various engines in various cars and repaired many cars, but the clio is worse than a mini to work on for space, and I really don't want to bugger anything up.

I have a haynes book of lies somewhere for the clio.

Thanks guys,

Matthew

mike16valver
06-09-2007, 13:49
When i changed my clutch to an R5GTT,
i just took the pin out of the driver half shaft, took the passenger half shaft out removed what was need to me to get to the clutch from the top, i e. airbox etc, undid all necessary bolts from the g.box, cant rememeber if i removed the speedo cable....

then dropped the subframe on a tilt and just moved the g.box out of the way gives you just enough room to change everything need to be changed and get and clutch alignment tool in and out..

I think that is the easiest way, i am sure others will have there ways too, bt its up to you to decide.

Mike