PDA

View Full Version : Group A Induction Kit Relocation

Coops
01-09-2007, 16:41
Okay, my new shiny garrett turned up yeaterday....but it doesnt fit! :( so i have to send it back monday with the old unit parts so they can match up the bits that dont fit and re-ship it back end of the week!

Untill then i thought i'd keep myself busy with ongoing improvements, so i relocated my induction kit into the scuttle today! 8) all i need now is to wait for my 'new' (ahem) washer bottle to show up and am away!

Ended up using a drill and file to make the hole as i wasnt prepared to fork out for a hole cutter and wasnt keen on the grinder plan due to spark! results as a bit of a wobbly hole, but the silicone tubing will hide that! sprayed it up xeros aswell to prevent the dreaded rust taking hold!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/Turbo/P9010022.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/Turbo/P9010023.jpg

and the liner to keep it lookin neat, just cut a piece of 5mm tubing along its length n fits lovely n snug!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/Turbo/P9010024.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/Turbo/P9010025.jpg

and fitted the silicone tubing through the new hols i cut

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/Turbo/P9010026.jpg

and the cone fitted on the end, its lookin a little tatty from years stuck in the bay, nearly won a pipercross replacement on the bay but got pipped by 50p in the last second!doh, so on the hunt still!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/Turbo/P9010027.jpg

I then set about making up a bracket for the chargecooler header tank to relocate it with the parts i had, again in attempt to do this all for the sum of free! :P

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/Turbo/P9010028.jpg

sprayed up the bracket xeros aswell, its off a set of brakes from my old valver i had left over 8) bolts beside the coil, job done!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/Turbo/P9010029.jpg

and the finished article with scuttle in position!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/Turbo/P9010030.jpg

Coops

Andy P
01-09-2007, 17:25
Nice mate, bit cheaper than Hill Power's relocation kit.

Do you actually drive it or just constantly rip it to bits and paint stuff and make it look pretty? :lol:

Coops
01-09-2007, 17:29
unfortunately the latter mate :roll: well till i get teh turbo sorted, bloody stupid thing :evil:

schakal
01-09-2007, 17:37
unfortunately the latter mate :roll: well till i get teh turbo sorted, bloody stupid thing :evil:

did that guy on rtoc help out in the end ?

Foley
01-09-2007, 18:00
I know it's a group 'A' mod but do you actually benifit from it or is it just a space saving mod ?

Coops
01-09-2007, 18:02
benefits from better low temperature air and airflow in that location, before the air was being drawn in from behind the radiator, not good! :lol:

shaks, nah mate never got back to me so i used someone on neils recommendation 8)

Andy P
01-09-2007, 18:03
I know it's a group 'A' mod but do you actually benifit from it or is it just a space saving mod ?

Reduced the inlet temp by sticking it there, just doesnt have much of a air feed.

You going to vent the wing or bonnet mate?

A nice pulsar vent on the wing would look great :wink:

Coops
01-09-2007, 18:06
nah, plenty gets sucked in through low pressure gradient down windscreen! not wanting to butcher my bodywork, keeping it smooooooooooooooth. altho if i get a carbon bonnet (on the list) may R19 vent it

Crossers
01-09-2007, 18:25
It doesn't really need a feed. As much air as is needed will be sucked in, and it'll be nice and cold (even in the summer if this 1 is anything to go by). Can't see a need for a vent.

Paul

Daz.
01-09-2007, 19:18
I'd be interested to see your opinion on the increased noise where it is now my man!

I really fancy doing this but I'm a little worried it may 'harm' the tranquility of the moment :lol:

Crossers
01-09-2007, 19:40
Gunners sounded good, deffo louder in the cabin!! :shock:

Good sound though, especially with turbo chatter :P

Paul

schakal
01-09-2007, 20:08
benefits from better low temperature air and airflow in that location, before the air was being drawn in from behind the radiator, not good! :lol:

shaks, nah mate never got back to me so i used someone on neils recommendation 8)

you sure ,you have not been a tight ass mofo again ?? :lol: :P

lewis_willy2
01-09-2007, 22:25
is it just a turbo rebuild you had?

if so how much does it cost?

dhay14
01-09-2007, 22:47
what about when it rains? the filter will absorbe some water.
wouldn't that be bad for your turbo?

1995clio16v
01-09-2007, 23:36

There'd be very little water that would be able to find its way into there IMO!

Id say pretty much non, especially when on the move!

1995clio16v
01-09-2007, 23:38
Coops,

You mention pipercorss.

Ive got a pipercross, and fancy doing this, was having a rough measure the other day, and it seemed as though it would be a very tight fit on a pipercross, ****ing massive they are!

Can anyone confirm whether a pipercross would fit or have I not a chance!? Is it squares in round holes job! :shock:

MAXIBOY
02-09-2007, 00:14
is it just a turbo rebuild you had?

if so how much does it cost?

no mate was a new turbo think it was under 700

Allan
02-09-2007, 08:33

As long as the scuttle panel seal is good (one where it seels to the windscreen), you wont get much water in there due to the bonnet covering over the top, and it having a lip behind the opening which acts as a gutter and puts the water down the wings, internaly it has drain holes so little amounts would drain out ect.

Although going through large puddles with out the innerwing covers on will fill it quite quickly, resulting in some nice water in the engine + ecu on the other side getting quite wet too ;/

how about some lurves in the bonnet over the scuttle that would look good and be functional :)

MattyH16valver
02-09-2007, 16:05
Nice work Coops....how much did it set u back in all?

stevie_b
02-09-2007, 20:45
Can anyone confirm whether a pipercross would fit or have I not a chance!? Is it squares in round holes job! :shock:

I took mine off the throttle body the other day to give it a proper trial fit in there and it's very marginal. The whole lower part would be against the metal in the scuttle. It might still flow okay though - I'm undecided at the moment.

1995clio16v
02-09-2007, 21:41

I took mine off the throttle body the other day to give it a proper trial fit in there and it's very marginal. The whole lower part would be against the metal in the scuttle. It might still flow okay though - I'm undecided at the moment.

Ive Pm'd gunner for what bits he used for his, and where he got em all from so when/if he replies im gonna give it a go with the pipercross so will keep updated. I hope it does fit as I dont wanna have to spend more money on a nre ik! A tight arse that I am! :shock:

Daz.
03-09-2007, 19:12
Coops - what size rougly is that hole? in mm pref!

Get that tape measure out now and put yer slippers on before it goes dark

MAXIBOY
03-09-2007, 19:46
the silicone tube is 63mm so the hole needs to be bigger than that depending if you use the silicone seal method or not

Daz.
03-09-2007, 20:34
nice one - think I've got something that'll do that :wink:

Coops
03-09-2007, 21:29
ai tis 63mm for my particular tubing, but u just cut it to fit the tubing u have, easy! 8)

the turbo was a brand new unit from garrett via CR turbos, came in at under what neil said :P :wink:

matt, its cost me nowt, just used the bits already knockin about in the bay, well tell a lie plus one extra 90 degree boost hose which was about a tenner! 8)

wasnt going to use a clio pipercross, was bidding on a universal fit one with a 65mm opening, so its well smaller than a clio one, nothing in my induction system is o/e clio stuff related tho anymore, ah the joys of a turbo! :lol:

oh and as for the rain, the car doesnt come out to play in the rain, front wheel drive with 250bhp and no LSD doesnt like rain! :oops:

Daz.
03-09-2007, 21:51
I've got access to big arse hole saws you see - pretty sure theres a spot on one to do it :twisted:

MAXIBOY
03-09-2007, 21:52
the turbo was a brand new unit from garrett via CR turbos, came in at under what neil said :P :wink:

i,m better than i think i am. 8)

Coops
03-09-2007, 22:34
I've got access to big arse hole saws you see - pretty sure theres a spot on one to do it :twisted:

exactly what i wanted really, but wasnt willing to fork out for one, so drill and file for me, results in a dodgy wavy hole but god bless the concealment properties of the silicone tubey goodness!

tony16v
06-09-2007, 12:12
what did you do about the washer bottle??

MAXIBOY
06-09-2007, 20:42
we fitted a nova item.

valver_Karl
13-09-2007, 19:07
alright m8, iv got a piper cross induction kit u can have, it was on my saxo gti, it could proberly do with a clean but will be goodenough for u as is was in a carbon case in the engine bay let me know,