PDA

View Full Version : Turning electric sunroof manually

Scougar
31-08-2007, 14:18
Hi :)

I have just bought a 2nd hand sunroof motor, and the pinion actually looks in worse condition than the one I have just taken out of my sunroof. Which makes me wonder if it's the motor that's the problem (will check when I get home, lucky that I can mix n match parts :D)

Anyway.. makes me also think that looking at the mechansm hidden until the roof lining, that it may be rusted and siezed up.

The Actual Question
I noticed there is a slot in the bottom of the motor. Is that so you can put a rachet onto the electric motor and turn the sunroof open and shut manually (in event of motor failure) ?

Thanks guys,

Matthew

nath
31-08-2007, 14:32
yes.

you have to pull the plastic cover off (switch and light attach to it) and use the T shaped key that is pinned to the back of it iirc..... or that mite be another make of car :oops:

Scougar
31-08-2007, 14:45
Not noticed a T-shaped key or any other key on it to be honest.

If I can free the mechanism up, then a chance is there to use grease of wd40 etc to get it working nicely again. I just want to make sure it's reasonably safe to do it before a twist or deform anything by trying to turn it too hard.

Matthew

Swervin_Mervin
31-08-2007, 20:53
Well, you should be able to turn it with a hex bit on a socket. However, I tried this when my motor died on ULF and I broke the bit. Really just would not budge an inch.

Stripped the motor down in teh end and cleaned it all up and put back together. Still didn't work and still wouldn't turn.

:roll:

Manual roofs for the win. 8)

MatBrown
01-09-2007, 15:45
The Actual Question
I noticed there is a slot in the bottom of the motor. Is that so you can put a rachet onto the electric motor and turn the sunroof open and shut manually (in event of motor failure) ?

Thanks guys,

Matthew

No, i always thought that too but when we stripped one down we found out it is a worm drive gear inside which will not work.

Mat.

Swervin_Mervin
01-09-2007, 18:58
You could do what I did. Strip the cog out and just use that with a hex bit on a socket. Fiddly.

Scougar
02-09-2007, 13:42
I have taken out the electric motor itself from the large cog section, and then it turns freely with the hex key. Will try that ust to make sure the sunroof mech higher in the roof is not screwed (rusted and siezed).

I can take pics if necessary as one of the covers over the cog is loose.

Matthew

Scougar
02-09-2007, 23:15
Bottom line.... motor was fine.. turned out to be a corroded switch.

After much arsing about and swapping the internal workings of the electric sunroof motor, and find my cogs in perfect working conditon, I settled on it must be switch or wiring that was causing sunroof to only go forwards (sometimes) and never backwards. Took switch apart and it had corrosion inside from a water leak. Sanded contacts best I could, refit everything and works perfectly now :D

Big warning... if you take the electric motor apart, be careful not to pull the motor out of its housing. If you do you have to remove the rear of the motor housing (bending 4 locking tabs back to access), then hold back the 2 electric contact pins and reinsert. Then gently put is back reverse ways into the housing and knocking the tabs back up. Its just a pain in the butt, and not really that exciting lol.

Oh, and if you need to check your sunroof mech is not seized. CAREFULLY remove the motor section by undoing the 2 bolts, and just bolt up or hold the cog section into the roof. You can then turn it with a hex key and ensure it's all free moving :) If you want to check the inner workings though, be careful on bending the metal to access, as it's very soft and liable to crack.

Matthew