PDA

View Full Version : Dead Willy

snakeylady
31-05-2005, 15:20
Went out this morning and cranked her over - nothing -nada!! lights come on ingnition etc but no sound of cranking over just a deathly silence- this can't be good? Will have to speak to james 2night but guess it's time to get the cheque book ready for the onslaught. :cry:

clean16v
31-05-2005, 15:38
could be( and probably is!) something simple. Immobiliser? Dodgy starter motor sender?
A lot of checks you can do, listen out for the fuel pump when you turn ignition, if it kicks in its not your immobiliser. Second check, get some one to help you push start it, if it starts, then its your starter. If it doesn't start, well thats when you may have to get your cheque book out!
more then likely its a small problem though, if it turned over and didn't start thats when it could be all sorts of problems!

snakeylady
31-05-2005, 15:42
thankx - hopefully you're correct about it being something small - have a clifford alarm but that set on valet mode so shouldn't be the immobiliser but who knows [I don't that s for sure - mechanics not my thing - I leave all that to daughters b/f James]

clean16v
31-05-2005, 16:01
does the fuel pump kick in when you turn the key? its a high pitched whine

snakeylady
31-05-2005, 17:10
there is just silence - no noise whatsoever

northy
31-05-2005, 17:12
Mmmm you should be able to hear the fuel pump come on once the imobaliser is disarmed.

Im trying to think if turning the alarm off will maybe allow the car to start ???

A few clicks of the starter and the engine doesnt turn over - means flat battery or corroded started wire connectors.

2 live
31-05-2005, 17:17
sounds silly...but just try tightening your battery leads up ...sometimes they seem to vibrate themselves slightly loose

clean16v
31-05-2005, 17:17
im gonna go with alarm/immobiliser. is there any way of turning the thing off completely?

snakeylady
31-05-2005, 17:22
have checked battery thats fine - I'm wondering if somehow the immobiliser has activated itself - it shouldnt on valet mode but wud explain why nothings happening- trouble is with these clifford alarms i will probably have to get a clifford technician out to decode it - anyhow apparently a mechanic is coming out to look at it [the husband of an aquaintance] - see what he says

snakeylady
31-05-2005, 17:48
Mechanics just been - turned her over to show him the problem and SHE STARTED FIRST GO!!!!!!! wtf??? am thrilled that she seems fine but feel like a complete plonker that he had to come all the way across town for nothing- I swear that she was not turning over today -can only think that alarm is playing up - wonder if the alarm fob battery is going could this cause it to play up?? anyhow am going for a quick spin to check her out-

FATBOY
31-05-2005, 18:19
nice one! glad its sorted!

J o n
31-05-2005, 18:54
good news, replace the battery in it just to make sure i reckon!

clean16v
31-05-2005, 21:19
good news, replace the battery in it just to make sure i reckon!
dude, thats why your car stands you at like 15k!

WeZ01y
31-05-2005, 21:52
PMSL! Well Jesus has the motto... if it aint broke, fix it!

KingStromba
31-05-2005, 22:05
Might as well drop a new engine in to hey Jesus, while your at it. :wink:

Just in case

BRUN
31-05-2005, 22:06
a £3 fob battery is hardly gonna break the bank is it

VIPERONE
31-05-2005, 22:20
how old is the alarm?? the old 400 mhz ones suffer from the new airwaves radio system which blocks the immobilliser out... and it frequently happens to me :-(

summeh
31-05-2005, 22:31
Hey, I had the exact same problem on my old RT... it had a clifford concept 100 fitted to it.

BIGGEST PILE OF SHITE EVER. I will never buy a clifford alarm again.

Anyway I never did find out what the problem was, it did this to me whilst sat at a petrol station once, came out to start her up after filling up and nothing, it was immobilised still but the alarm was disarmed.

It took me about 50 tries of the keyfob arming it disarming it and going into valet mode a few times.

started eventually, i don't know why it misbehaved.