PDA

View Full Version : help with brakes please

Tuccy
27-08-2007, 02:34
think my master cylinder has died or is dying :(

had a prob a while ago with having to pump my brake pedal to get any kind of decent braking power, after help from the guys on here i flushed the brake system and replaced the old fluid with all fresh new stuff, and bled the system,

that helped alot until tonight

now on the first press of the brake pedal the pedal goes to the floor but no braking at all, then with the second press i get brakes like new..

was gonna replace my master cylinder as i think its the prob, but cant afford a new one at the min, so will be getting one from the brakers yard to do for now.

my car is a 1995 williams 3, so do i have to be getting the cylinder from a willy, or are there other compatable cylinders that will do the job??????ie ren 19 16v etc

please advise :idea:

thanks in advance guys :P

MAXIBOY
27-08-2007, 11:28
are you sure its the master cylinder.

the way to check is to have all the flexible lines clamped off and then test it. if it still goes to the floor its the master cylinder but if it doesnt it might be a caliper/air problem.

think there 28 quid new from a motor factors though.

think all the master cylinders on the 16/williams are the same.

try mat brown or winston/laura for spares

Tuccy
27-08-2007, 11:46
thanks maxiboy, will do the test you mentioned, its just i had this before on another clio and it feels exactly the same, thanks for the info

will post my findings later

thanx again :P

MAXIBOY
27-08-2007, 11:50
do you have quick fit in ireland as they do a good free brake test and a report over hear. and there quite good on brakes.

Tuccy
27-08-2007, 19:54
crumbs never thought of the quick fit idea, yeah they are here too :?

anyhow i did the clamp all flexis test and it was just the same, so removed the master cylinder and ordered a new one, hopefully it will be here wednesday afternoon, didnt realise they were so cheap new, although my local renault dealer quoted £460:00 :shock: for a new one lol

got a new one for £40 thats postage and all, i was well pleased,
seems ya cant get hold of master cylinder kits anymore :cry: noone seems to do em :cry:

out of interest i stripped the master cylinder (which is date marked 95 the year of the car) and its shot to bits, lots of loose debris and 2 of the seals look visible buggered. hope the new one solves my ongoing brake probs :P but i will be sure to flush bleed the system with a few more bottles of fluid in the hope that it will flush any remaining debris out,,

ps is there a particular order i should bleed the brakes in due to the asb?
thanks again for all the help MAXIBOY

Tuccy
27-08-2007, 19:56
sorry i meant the ABS lol

damn no edit button :twisted:

MAXIBOY
27-08-2007, 20:36
think its the same furthest away first.

Tuccy
29-08-2007, 23:44
woopieeee

got my new master cylinder fitted it today, bled the system and my brakes are now amazing, to the point ive near put myself through the window a few times lol :lol:

thank goodness for seatbelts :D

cheers maxiboy for all the helpful pointers
much appreciated 8)

Scougar
30-08-2007, 10:24
...think there 28 quid new from a motor factors though....

Which motor factors please Maxiboy? (or do you mean in general i.e. Kevin Coopers (in Devon)).

Matthew

MAXIBOY
30-08-2007, 16:08
what i paid from my local one from memory so in general