PDA

View Full Version : Help please, Willy bust!

Crossers
26-08-2007, 18:51
My Williams has been suffering from charging problems for a while.

The charge warning light would fade on and off intermittently, as would be expected from a 101500 mile old alternator

However the problem developed a little further yesterday as the charge light would come on at around 1500rpm, it would come on instantly bright rather than fading in and out. This suggested perhaps a problem with the regulator on the alternator.

Started the car today, then disconnected the battery to do some tests. I then applied a few revs (no more than 2000rpm) and the engine cut out. After checking the fuses the Fuel Pump fuse had blown. Popped another one in, that instantly blew when i turned the ignition to the second stage (where the pump should prime).

There lies my problem. There is clearly a massive drain somewhere after the engine fuse box and before the pump (as the fuses still pop when pump is disconnected).

I believe that the knackered regulator has sent a large current out rather than limiting the output due to the battery being disconnected. The only thing demanding any noticeable load would have been the Fuel Pump. Somewhere something must have melted and shorted.

Can anyone think of anywhere i can look for this possible short???? I've been looking all day and had no luck.

Any input appreciated.

Ta

Paul

MAXIBOY
26-08-2007, 21:00
you need to disconnect the alternator reconnect the battery and see what happens then.

then do a current leakage test.

and try multi meter to see ifs its over charging