PDA

View Full Version : what to look for when buying.

flat-eric
25-08-2007, 22:36
ok i may be getting a willy 2 next week and was wondering what to look for to make sure its genuine, and not a nail. :?:

does it have william written on the v5?

also "slight change of subject" but how easy is it to change the stereo? and is it easy to feed a power cable through the balkhead?

sorry for so many questions guys but im a noob :roll:

arj256
26-08-2007, 00:27
In general just make sure it hasnt been neglected on the servicing front.

Changing the stereo is easy as it all just plugs in, and getting a live through the bulkhead is simple. Its just behind the glovebox.

wavy
26-08-2007, 00:27
yes it says williams on the v5

flat-eric
26-08-2007, 00:35
its starting to sound very promising, im taking it in part ex with some cash for my 200sx.

i need a cheaper car and do love hot hatch's.

after doing some research im going to keep it standard apart from the stereo and make it mint.

if i do get it, look out for pics soon guys.

FATBOY
26-08-2007, 09:40
good luck with your purchase! one other thing to look out for is the steering column. make sure there is no play in it. if there is there is a cheap fix (welding the column) or you can go for the more expensive column replacement

Jamie.
26-08-2007, 12:10
Has anyone actually ever written a buyers guide? Just a few things to check etc?

Think someone should and add it as a sticky in the wanted or for sale sections as this topic comes up all the time.

Andyvalver
26-08-2007, 12:32
Check the arches/sills and the boot lid for rust. Make sure the gearbox is sweet and no crunching. Check there is not much engine play when you accelrate and let off in gear. Mounts are common problems cuz they get hammered lol. Make sure the heaters work ok too.

Make sure it has a williams lump. eg. tubular manifold, white dot on the end of the dipstick. And f7r is printed somwhere on the front of the block.

FATBOY
26-08-2007, 12:53
Has anyone actually ever written a buyers guide? Just a few things to check etc?

Think someone should and add it as a sticky in the wanted or for sale sections as this topic comes up all the time.

im sure a guide has been written jamie?

Scougar
30-08-2007, 14:10
Insurance is one group lower than 200sx (s14 and s14a) although it may be the same as 200sx (s13).

It will however gain you AT LEAST 10mpg extra in fuel milage. Even on a valver I get a absolute minimum of 33mpg, and a 'normal' minimum of 35mpg. I often get (if on longer runs), 41mpg + with the valver (at erm... higher than efficient speeds), and I hear that the williams engine is even better. My average fuel economy if just doing my daily drive is about 35/36 mpg.

You will save a fair bit of money if you are using the car often. Be aware that unless your last car was an s13, the maintenance costs may be higher with clio. (although not if your usual maintenance involves swapping a broken wing mount intercooler, for a Front mount intercooler, or swapping old suspension for coil-overs lol.

Matthew

flat-eric
31-08-2007, 12:48
i'm not afraid of working on the clio, im a dab hand with a spanner! lol
think i'l get the rusty arches done, tidy it all up and sell it on.

Scougar
31-08-2007, 13:00
I did the same move of s14a to clio (but a 1.8 16v aka valver). Just be aware that the space to work on things is A LOT less than a 200sx. Simple jobs can be an absolute nightmare.

Spend time familiarising yourself with the clio and it's little foibles ;) If you need advice these guys are pretty good with williams and valvers.

Just don't expect a rocket ship. It will be a fast car but won't 'feel' like it, and doesn't have the out and out balls of a 320bhp 200sx. It can however make up difference in corning speed, and the level of grip will surprise you.

Enjoy :)

Matthew

FATBOY
31-08-2007, 16:52
there is now a comprehensive guide in the cars for buying section..