PDA

View Full Version : Wishbone Saga

Purple
31-05-2005, 05:58
Late last year, I had wanted to change both wishbones. So, I ordered a pair but was shipped the wrong ones. Then, found out the dealer had just the bushes for my exsiting wishbones, but I decided against it as the force-fit bushes looked tricky to install. So, I placed order again in February, and this was what happened:-

An old retired French blacksmith was woken from his slumber to go back into the old mines to carry out a bucket full of finest French iron ore. Day after day, he would then slave over his anvil, forging out 2 A-shaped arms from red-hot metal. He then stripped his last pair of shoes to lovingly fashion them into the all-important rubber bushes. And when the work was done, he stamped on the famous 4 characters “CLW1” as a symbol of his pride.

He then climbed on his faithful donkey and rode east with the wishbones. Weeks went by, and he reached his destination of Istanbul. He then handed his precious cargo to trusted Muslim traders, riding on camel backs, heading out to the Far East via the ancient Silk route. The hardworking ships of the desert rounded northern Iraq, Iran and the Himalayas to cross the high plateaus of Southwest China. Finally, heading south, reaching the mystical city of Rangoon, Burma. For the final leg of the journey, the wishbones traveled in style, on the South-bound train of the Orient Express. Taking only a few weeks to meander through the idyllic countrysides of Burma, Siam and Malaya. And reaching the Far Eastern Outpost of the British Empire – Singapura - yesterday!

Yes, yes. I am sure this must be how the wishbones took over 4 months to reach me. Am also sure Renault parts department’s internal bureaucracy had NOTHING to do with it!

BTW, the wishbones were just installed and the steering now feels much plusher than before. And I think the turn-in seems tighter round about half-lock, both ways. The car also seem to be sitting a few mm higher. Am well chuffed.

PS: Took some photos, if anyone’s interested. And can you tell? I type a lot when I am happy. :D

Mark_Ritchspeed
31-05-2005, 09:15
So, I take it its difficult to get parts for the Willy over there?

If you need something in future, let me know and I'll see if I can help out.

Purple
31-05-2005, 09:35
Yeah, was about to ask you guys for help, when the wishbones turned up yesterday. Not much problem with the standard mk1 stuff, as I have 2 or 3 suppliers that can handle them locally. It's the one-offs parts for the Williams, like wishbone, driveshafts etc that can take weeks. I've lived with this situation for years, so am pretty used to it. But good to know you guys are there, if I do need something quickly in future.