PDA

View Full Version : alternator belt/pulleys noisy.....

mutley
20-08-2007, 17:29
2nd question, on the drivers side of the engine where all the pulley things with the belt (alternator?) is making a bit of noise. can i lubricate any of these wheels... (sorry i dunno what they are called!) but i'm sure you know what i mean! :lol: is just a bit annoying to hear it over the tapping of the tappets!! :roll:
cheers
Dan

Imperial_16v
20-08-2007, 18:04
Is it costant whine Dan? Or does it go away?

It could be a number of things from that area, i.e. waterpump, ps pump or an idle tensioner. You could try squirting some wd40 or something onto the pulley see if it quietens it down, just try not to get any on the belts. :)

Waterpump + gasket isn't expensive but fitting is (as it's down the bottom). Idle tensioner I had to buy specially from Renault as no where else sold them, and that was about £180 all in.

But it could be a few things down that area really. :?

mutley
20-08-2007, 18:19
thanks for that info. yeah it starts up when car starts then goes away after about 5mins. although it does prob sound like a mixture of things now as i;ve just had a listen and the tappety sound dies off after a while but you can still hear the belt area whining(if that the right word).it seems to start off sounding like an aggricultural vehicle then turns into the sound of a car that needs a service/lube!! LOL!

i'll get in there with some wd40 and grease at weekend/evening if i get home early and see what results that produces.