PDA

View Full Version : Oil spray under bonnet

carbman
18-08-2007, 21:15
:) Hello everybody!! I am a brand new member and am looking forward to some interesting exchanges.
My daughter has a Williams 2 2.0, 90000 miles and it has been very reliable mechanically. However it has just developed an oil leak problem, :cry: which is causing a fine spray of oil to be distributed onto the inside of the bonnet, I think from the heater fan.
My guess is that there is a leak from the power steering pump or a feed pipe, because the reservoir level is lower than it has ever been.
I am not a mechanic, but would like to familiarize myself with the plumbing of the power steering and it's components.
Can anybody point me in the direction of any diagrams and information please. Or any tips, like 'leave it alone and let somebody who knows what he is doing deal with it' :?
I would be grateful for any help please. Regards, carbman. :wink:

MAXIBOY
18-08-2007, 21:35
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/123maxiboy/powersteering.jpg

sounds like there could be a power steering hose leak at the large pipe of the short one that runs across the front of the block

carbman
18-08-2007, 21:55
:D Hey thanks for that Maxiboy. That looks very helpful. Glad I took the time and joined now.
Do you know if it is very fiddly, or could I tackle it myself? :?
Thanks mate.

MAXIBOY
18-08-2007, 22:06
its a little fiddly as there attached to the subframe and the threads are very easy to cross if you not careful. they also have little rubber o rings. so check them. also the pipes are expensive new so you need to be certain before ordering pipes etc.

might want to source good second

Coops
18-08-2007, 22:49
depends where on the bonnet the fluid is, if its power steering fluid it will be smell different to normal oil.

it depends on if the cars needed daily, u usually find with these cars that a 'simple' job turns into a 5 day slog of swearing and running off to find new parts/buy new tools. as neil says its becuase of the tight fiddly conditions under the bonnet and the tendancy for crossthreading and rounding of the stupid made from cheese torx bolts u always encounter in the damdest of places! :lol:

if you get really stuck drop me a pm, am only over in sheffield! and i mite even have some pipes from the power steering system kickin about in the shed, not sure which but i know they are in there somewhere!

other than that welcome!

carbman
18-08-2007, 23:46
:D Do you boys not have a life?? Saturday night and all this help immediately. Thanks a lot everybody, but I have to work 7.00 in the morning, so off to bed now. Will have another look tomorrow night.
Really appreciate your help. :wink:

Coops
18-08-2007, 23:51
**** no i dont have a life, i have a clio that eats all my money! :lol: :wink: look am still here and its nearly midnight! :P

MattyH16valver
19-08-2007, 11:19
My power steering cap use to leak and leave a fine spray of fluid on the inside of the bonnet. I took it off and gave it a good clean.....seems ok now.