PDA

View Full Version : Performance sucks

Scougar
17-08-2007, 10:40
All I gotta say is that you really gotta worry when a passat diesel (with passengers) just out accelerates you on the motorway (end of road works restriction back up to the 70mph limit.

1.8 16v clio sucks.

Matthew

J o n
17-08-2007, 11:13
valvers aren't too quick on the motorway tbh. I was on my way to Oldham the other day in my mates valver and an older 1.8T Golf was up for a play, so on the flat upto about 80-90 he was lagging behind, but then came a hill... went past like we weren't even moving lol

Zollo
17-08-2007, 11:27
And diesels are very good at sudden bursts of acceleration from a rolling start. Give it a few gears worth of acceleration and they've usually lost their advantage though. :twisted:

Scougar
17-08-2007, 11:39
I'm talking at least 3 gears worth :(

Think i need a 2.0 (and a turbo :D)

Matthew

Zollo
17-08-2007, 11:45
Erm, yeah, that's not good! Was it a new one? Best case scenario - it was the 138bhp version with the super-quick DSG 'box and the passengers were very little people and the fuel tank was almost empty!

Swervin_Mervin
17-08-2007, 11:51
Try harder. :wink:

They only tend to have an advantage until they change gear.

Unless they're modern autos/DSG equipped with bigger lumps.

Scougar
17-08-2007, 12:13
The driver was a very impatient woman with 2 little kids in the back and had overtaken me for no reason (with nowhere to overtake the 3 cars in front of me for 5 miles... and riding the butts of the cars in front.

I wasn't in perfect power zone and had a 7.5 stone passenger (my wife), and started at 3k instead of 4k in 3rd gear but still should not have been that bad for a 1.8. (oh and it's a slight hill as well).

I'll put it down to my whining power steering stealing all the power j/k.

This car needs a serious power boost, I would be much happier bunny as it otherwise handles very well.

Matthew

valverJam
17-08-2007, 12:18
always found you had to keep mine well high up the revs to get anywhere, below 4k you aint gonna beat anything, just get a willy lump chucked in and it will be by by diesel golf.

Scougar
17-08-2007, 12:31
Dead easy to say drop in a 2.0... but when it's your daily driver and you live in a little village 19 miles from work with no buses, it's kinda hard to do.

Incidentally, I have a magnex (blowing somewhere though) system as well, but don't really think that adds much.

It's wierd... off the line clio's seem fast. I mean from a dead stop then go. But if you have a rolling start they seem slow.

Matthew

Scougar
17-08-2007, 12:32
always found you had to keep mine well high up the revs to get anywhere, below 4k you aint gonna beat anything, just get a willy lump chucked in and it will be by by diesel golf.

Yup.. and I rev to literally just below 7k in any attempt so it's not like i'm not trying.

Matthew

Swervin_Mervin
17-08-2007, 13:02
Well my valver wasn't struggling to keep with an S2 Exige at Cadwell on Wed. :lol:

Scougar
17-08-2007, 13:25
And what have you had done to your valver?

Matthew

Andyvalver
17-08-2007, 13:33
Cant say ive ever lost to a diesel golf or a 1.8T golf in my valver. The performance of teh turbo is very simular. My mate has a turbo and up to 60 the valver beats it (just) then it holds its own all the way up to silly speeds. The tdi's tend to loose out imo when you get up the revs in a valver.

seanofnp
17-08-2007, 17:27
Some passats have a sports pack with 150bhp and sheds more torque than a f7p.

talkingfish
18-08-2007, 21:56
I have a Saab diesel as a company car (150bhp and shed loads of torque) and I must admit that driving that everyday has dulled my experience of my Williams. The Saab just pulls in any gear, I've got to drop the Williams a couple of gears and rev the nuts off it to get better performance......

talkingfish
18-08-2007, 21:58
having said that though, a motorway is not the best place for a vlaver or a Willy... just wait until you get to some corners!!! :wink:

Matty86
18-08-2007, 21:59
My brother has the mk4 golf with the TDI engine - 115 remapped

not sure on power, but he reckons close on 150

off the line its no match for the valver - have never done any rolling starts

fastest we've done was about 130 in Germany, but both cars were loaded with camping gear etc, so can't really say

Lets not mention the twisties either :D

Coops
18-08-2007, 22:39
as said, m/way isnt the clios stomping ground, but having said that i kept up with a new 2.0T diesel golf upto top of 5th in every gear no worries, both topped out around same aswell

eternalife
18-08-2007, 23:24
As mentioned,
Valvers are out of their element on motorway journeys in-terms of racing.
I driven quite a few new turbo diesel cars and they have a lot more punch at higher speeds.

Normally - turbo diesels have an initial advantage from rolling starts- but once they out of their power bands (which is extremely small 2000-4000rpm on the 307 110bhp HDI for an example) u soon begin to catch up. 3rd gear 70-90 i remember being pretty quick in my valver and also very thirsty!

TD's are also quick off the lights if the drivers are smart and rev car to correct power band and dump clutch. As they overcome the initial lag of the turbo like this.

Mk4 TDI 115 bhp maps directly to 150bhp - Golf anniversary tdi 150 Map is used. The mk4 golf tdi 110 115 and 130 had the same set up as the anniversary which came with 150 bhp - so its a standard map - no need to rolling road.

Problem with high revving cars is always - that if ur caught out at the wrong rpm - u can be made to look slow.

Jamie.
18-08-2007, 23:25
If I am racing/accelerating hard on A/M-way roads I just drop to 4th - no biggie.

Don't generally rag it on the m-way as its not exactly much fun.

Scougar
19-08-2007, 00:09
I still suprised for a 'hot hatch' how slow it is really. I suppose I should look at it as it is an old car now, and modern cards are generally more powerful nowadays.

Matthew

Coops
19-08-2007, 00:16
yeah but modern cars are heavier aswell, tbh is sounds like yours is down on power, have you serviced it recently? checked air flow into engine to make sure its not blocked, had it rolling roaded or a diagnostic check up?

MAXIBOY
19-08-2007, 00:56
i agree 8)

Scougar
19-08-2007, 11:33
No I haven't. I do get petrol smell and the engine is a bit.. erm 'whiny' which I assume is the power steering. Every time my jap car club arranges a rolling road I am always paintball umpiring instead which is a real pain in the butt, so haven't found out my power yet. Wonder if the PAS pump is robbing too much power.

I should get an ITG filter really I suppose and check the compression. I do seem to have to top up with oil every month as well (according to the in car gauge).

Matthew

Coops
19-08-2007, 14:18
i'd start with that, comp test is, service all replacables like plugs ht leads etc and see how u go, p/s pump shouldnt rob too much if its gettin worn, not as much as its sounds like u have lost. but best bet is to bite the bullet, sack off the paintball and get it to the rr to see