PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearing help

bendee
10-08-2007, 18:09
ok so my wheel bearing has died quite alot of wobble on the wheel. is it safe to drive? as ill need to drive it to get to buy a new wheel bearing lol.

fitting it, is it a big job? i guess it shouldnt be to hard its just getting the actual bearing off.
could someone give me a guide on what needs doing and what tools ill need to do it.

cheers bendee

Allan
10-08-2007, 18:15
front or rear?

i drove mine with 2 fubared wheel bearings for about 600 miles as i wasnt at home when it died, had no problems but i wouldnt recommend taking it long distances or driving if its really bad!

changing is easy 2 hours or so if you take your time, but you will either need to drift or press it out

arj256
10-08-2007, 18:26
Should be allright, but there is always the possibilty that it could seize up.

Its not too big of a job, for the front you will need:

18mm spanner and socket
16mm spanner and socket
30mm socket
Ball joint separator
T40 torx

First of all loosen off the hub nut.
Then jack up the car and remove the wheel.
Undo the brake caliper and remove. then rest it on the wishbone so the hose isnt stretched.
Then take the disc off.
Then take off the suspension strut making sure it doesnt drop onto the cv boot.
Undo the trackrod end, if the bolt spins support the bottom of it with a jack.
Now undo the balljoint and using a "ball joint separator" then you can get the stub axel off the ball joint.
If your careful you can get away with using a screwdriver to separate the ball joint.
With the stub axel off you will need to get the hub pressed out and a new bearing pressed in.
When you have the hub out, make sure you check the hub for signs of wear as if it has you will need a new hub otherwise you will still have play.
Then reverse the process.

Allan
10-08-2007, 19:32
i have a ball joint remover, much easier with the screw driver lol

Coops
10-08-2007, 19:34
then rest it on the wishbone so the hose isnt stretched.
Then take the disc off.

or hook it on the coil spring, my favourite method as gets the bugger out that way! :wink:

arj256
10-08-2007, 19:44
Then take the disc off.

or hook it on the coil spring, my favourite method as gets the bugger out that way! :wink:

Depends if you have coilovers :wink: On mine the body is all greased up so caliper isnt going near there.
That is a more convienient way on the coil spring though.

bendee
10-08-2007, 19:59
ok cheers guys just wondering if i should attempt it on my own or get a garage to have a crack im sure i could probly do it is there naything i can mess up or is it simple unbolting and bolting up stuff.

bendee
10-08-2007, 20:01
no edit button damn this forum lol.

how much would a typical garage charge for replacing the bearings.

and i see gsf charge 13.50 for theres is it a genuine renault item or should i go to renault for it?

arj256
10-08-2007, 20:04
Well clios being clios, it can either be all fine and fun.
Or a right pain.
A garage near me would supply and fit a new bearing for £70ish

Doing it yourself can save a few pennys, but if you have no access to a press and you cant get the pressing done cheaply, then it starts to add up.

Coops
10-08-2007, 20:13
Then take the disc off.

Depends if you have coilovers :wink: On mine the body is all greased up so caliper isnt going near there.
That is a more convienient way on the coil spring though.

i have a lovely hook for the purpose, well i say hook, bent bit of hangar! :lol:

white16valver
18-09-2007, 20:13
Just found this post while using the Search button and it answers all my questions so thanks to all for all the advice given :D 8)

I don't think I have a hope of changing my bearing myself so I think it's a call to Mr Mark Fish, then a battering of the plastic... (again... :( lol)

Lunner
18-09-2007, 21:30
Don't use a ball joint seperator ont he bottom ball joint they **** the rubber boot, drive a cold chisel or big screwdriver diwn where the pinch bolt goes, then just lift off

bendee
18-09-2007, 22:58
its piss mate aslong as your not a compleate reetard i cant see it being ****ed up buy the bearing and basically undo all the bolts that hold the bearing bit on take it off take it to someone with a press and get them to press one out and new one in cost me 15 quid for it to be pressed in and out then55 for the bearing altho gsf only wanted 13 quid for one there theres.

ater seeing the guy struggle with getting mine out and then pressing mine in i can safely say im glad i didnt try it myself defo needed a press.

Budji
20-09-2007, 11:56
Recently did a rear bearing on my clio, fronts not much harder either, took it appart on a garage forecourt and gave them the disc and bearing. they didnt specify a price I just walked into the workshop and said I'd give someone a fiver cash to press a bearing for me, even lent me a trolley jack and torque wrench to do teh job, real nice place!!

always walk into the workshop and ask tho, if you come in through the reception they assume you are jo public and charge you garage prices :wink: