PDA

View Full Version : Engine Tested

Coops
08-08-2007, 19:54
Ran the turbo today without the turbo on it! :lol:

i.e the turbo is sat in my shed so ran it completely without an exhaust system so the gases came straight out the manifold to atmosphere

there was no blue smoke or anything coloured coming out atall for the entire time i ran it, which was only around 2minutes as it was noisy as hell! :oops:

question is if my rings or stem seals etc, basically any aspect of the engine that could produce blue smoke, would it of happened then, from cold?

cheers

Coops

MAXIBOY
08-08-2007, 21:09
yes be worse when stood or cold for both. fingers crossed

Bailey_1260
08-08-2007, 21:10
tell me if i am wrong but dont some turbos smoke blue any way?

MAXIBOY
08-08-2007, 21:13
no blue smoke is oil.

Coops
08-08-2007, 21:14
ai fingers crossed, get this turbo looked at asap then

yes some turbos do smoke a tad, but this was like a james bond smoke screen, shit you not mate! definatly not 'normal' turbo smoke

Bailey_1260
08-08-2007, 21:19

yes some turbos do smoke a tad, but this was like a james bond smoke screen, s**t you not mate! definatly not 'normal' turbo smoke

Fair enough lol.

I know blue smoke is oil, but dont turbos have a connection to the oil system? (srry if i am being dumb but we all have to learn :D )

MAXIBOY
08-08-2007, 21:20

yes some turbos do smoke a tad, but this was like a james bond smoke screen, s**t you not mate! definatly not 'normal' turbo smoke

Fair enough lol.

I know blue smoke is oil, but dont turbos have a connection to the oil system? (srry if i am being dumb but we all have to learn :D )

yes mate but they shouldn,t leak oil at any time really.

Coops
08-08-2007, 21:28
yeah, the bearing that supports the shaft connecting the 2 sides of the turbo together is connected to an oil feed and return from the main block. its also connected to the water system for cooling aswell.

there are seals on this shaft to keep it seperate from the turbins enclosures on both sides, and if the bearing gets excessively worn the seals wont locate all the time as the shaft 'wobbles' and oil is forced out, hence smoke in the exhaust.

thats what am hopin is the cause of my problems

BRUN
08-08-2007, 23:20
fingers crossed mate