PDA

View Full Version : mobil 1, shell helix. . .

NAPLES VALVER 123
06-08-2007, 19:52
What oil is best to use to quiet the tappets up, ive looked and the mobil1 range but can only find 15/50 or 0/ 40,

what one should i get?

or

is there a better oil which will quiet down?

BRUN
06-08-2007, 20:23
thats the only 2 grades you can get in the UK of Mobil 1

both are fully synthetic

now you have 2 ways of thinking with this, firstly is that the thicker 15W-50 will leave a thicker film on parts, therefore meaning a quiet start up as all the parts are well lubed already, or, the thinner oil will travel up to the top of the engine much quicker meaning proper oil flow in seconds

ive experienced both, in my RT the 15W-50 made my tappets as quiet as a mouse, but in the winter they went noisy as the oil was slow to flow up to the top of the engine quickly

personally, id go for the thinner grade 0W-40, but id use a Silkolene oil instead, Pro S 5W-40

NAPLES VALVER 123
06-08-2007, 21:57
thanks for the help mate,

so would i be right in thinking i could use the thicker oil during the summer months but the 0/40 during winter?

also ive seen posts about Silkolene oil , what is this?

thanks

BRUN
08-08-2007, 23:25
Silkolene Pro S is basically a very good oil, a step above Mobil 1 and most others you see in car shops, its a proper synthetic which a lot of others are not in reality

and your right with your thinking, in the warmer months the thicker stuff would probs be ok, but come winter it will be too thick, me personally i dont think we get enough warm weather to put a thicker oil in