PDA

View Full Version : Welded Willy manifold...

drsmith1979
06-08-2007, 18:02
picked it up this afternoon! 8)

had the '4 branch cross' welded as it was cracked (shock shock horror), also had brand new studs fitted and treated it all to a new fire ring and new gasket...

fitted it this afternoon, was a bit fiddly but not too bad and was done on my own (very proud! haha)... was gutted after i fitted it as it seamed to smoke for ages, now i know stuff gets on and needs to burn off but it went on for yonks! so i thought it was leaking, took it for a blast and its right as rain! must have have cleaner on from the weld and it took longer than normal to burn off as its great! soooooo much more top end and definate increase in torqur over what it was, wheels were spinning up in 1st, 2nd, 3rd without much effort and they were warm and are toyo's, so pleased with the afternoons work!

car is running bang on now, r19 mount next and then maybe some body work ;o)

MAXIBOY
06-08-2007, 18:17
glad its running well

Daz.
06-08-2007, 19:43
Cool - would like to look at mine at some point see if its 'shock' cracked!

NAPLES VALVER 123
06-08-2007, 19:49
how and where do you check to see if its cracked :oops:

drsmith1979
07-08-2007, 00:15
Heres where it goes (basic pic i know lol)

this is a diagram of the manifold where it joins the down pipe

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/drsmith/manifold.jpg

This is where it will escape from the top side, easiest way to check? grab a rag and block the exhaust while looking through the rear window for exhaust gases rising from the manifold or get a mate to do it for you while you check.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/drsmith/manifold2.jpg

there are 2 options as far as i am concerned with regards to how to weld. You can use the traditional 'stick' type weld and do it from the top side, like someone has tried on mine before, but it isnt very accurate. you cant actually get the head of a welder between the branches so its a no brainer. The other alternative is to get an experienced welder to actually weld across the 'cross' and seal up any cracks or weak points, which is what i had done along with studs replaced for brand new items.

And before people make a comment on the heat shield, its been changed along time ago! this pic is from the 2nd day i bought the car! 8)