PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Help Needed

Jimbo5000
05-08-2007, 20:08
Hey peeps,

Started to 'attempt' to change back to the standard front springs today (and replace the shocks as one is leaking) but soon ran into problems.

After snapping an Alan Key and popping to Halfrauds to get a socket set instead, i started to try and undo the top strut mount. The problem is the alan key rounded off the plug in the top of the shock.... :!: :!:

What will be the best way to get this off? I was thinking about drilling it but I can just imagine what a pain that will be.... Has anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks,
James

BristolSam16v
05-08-2007, 20:17
Either drive to a garage and get them to loosen it with an impact gun
or
Buy an impact wrench, can get cheap 12v ones which work well apparently especially on top mounts.

You'd then need to get another top piece when you re-assemble the shocks, depending on whether you want to renew bearings etc as well you could either go to renault and get a top mount 'kit' (includes bearing rubbers and tht top bit around circa £35 a side afaik) or just get that piece from a scrap yard.

Jimbo5000
06-08-2007, 09:24
Either drive to a garage and get them to loosen it with an impact gun
or
Buy an impact wrench, can get cheap 12v ones which work well apparently especially on top mounts.

You'd then need to get another top piece when you re-assemble the shocks, depending on whether you want to renew bearings etc as well you could either go to renault and get a top mount 'kit' (includes bearing rubbers and tht top bit around circa £35 a side afaik) or just get that piece from a scrap yard.

How would an Impact wrench work? Without being able to keep the strut still using the alan key the whole thing would just turn wouldnt it??

I have had a suggestion of using a nut cracker to get it off? not sure about this as its the 'nut' is the whole top plate in this case?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

MAXIBOY
06-08-2007, 11:24
use an impact wrench on the top nut and if your changing the shocks a pipe wrench on the strut rod will stop it turning for sure though they usually come undone anyway.