PDA

View Full Version : Is my clutch buggered??

willywayne
03-08-2007, 16:26
On my way to have the MOT done the other day the clutch cable snapped, so ordered another from Renault, and fitted it, after much fiddling!

Took my car for the MOT again today and the bloke has said my clutch is f#*ked, when i got in it i couldn't get reverse, and struggle to get 1st and 2nd, but only when it's hot, was fine driving it there :-k

I've read on here about people having the same problems, and something to do with the ?pivot bush? does this sound likely?
If so does the gearbox have to come off to change it? is it a job i could do myself?

Many thanks.

willywayne
03-08-2007, 16:28
Also failed MOT on front wheel bearing! Is this a an easy DIY job?

Rich
03-08-2007, 16:34
new pedal/ratchet will fix your clutch. front wheel bearing its easy enough to remove the hub but you will need a garage to press the old one out and put the new one in.

Daz.
03-08-2007, 16:38
First one - Get a new pedal assembly for £26 odd quid whatever they are - fit it to your new clucth cable and **** off the idiot that says its the clutch :D

Will feel like a brand new car again.

willywayne
03-08-2007, 16:47
Thanks for the replies :D

So it sounds like it's best to go the pedal idea first then?
Read on here that there a biatch to do! should be fun then!

With the wheel bearing, the mrs works in the offices of a factory where they've got presses, could i get someone to do it there?

Rich
03-08-2007, 16:52
yes if they are competent! takes quite a bit of pressure

Daz.
03-08-2007, 16:54
Depends where you go - If mine hadn't have been 'half' for free my mechanic told me it's be around £100 thats including getting the part, so your looking at maybe 2 hours tops for labour.

Its amazing what you can change to make a car drive like new again, new mounts, springs, cables, pedal assembly, discs, calipers, pads..

Basic parts really all that wear over time but people choose to wait for them to break I guess - I suppose you don't notice the loss of feel and overall driving experience if you've owned it for ages - I suppose not many of us have access to a pristine as new example to compare with!

Punkymuffin
07-08-2007, 22:03
I've got exactly the same prob at the mo :?

Been told clutch was on way out bought new uprated one but clocked the posts up and now gittin pedal 2moz,doin pedal change 1st see if this sorts it if not its engine out time (fingers crossed it aint lol)

8) 8)

willywayne
07-08-2007, 22:06
Been and got my pedal on the way home tonight, looks a lot of little bits in there, looks like a fiddly little job!!

Something to look forward to the weekend then!

Let me know if the pedal sorts yours.

Jimbo5000
07-08-2007, 23:48
I have been having similar issues after i replaced my snapped clutch cable. The bite point in almost on the floor and sometimes it wont go into gear, tho the latter has settled down recently. But then I was having a bit of the same trouble just before the cable snapped in the first place.

Could this be the pedal assembly issue too?

If so does it come as a kit and has anyone got the part number(s). My local Reno has a new guy on the parts desk and he is a bit of a monkey to deal with so would be easier to go in fully prepared.

Thanks

willywayne
07-08-2007, 23:58
It does come as a kit, loads of odds and ends in there, i could get the part number for you tomorrow, but someone else on here might know it anyway?

looks like it is going to be a nightmare to do :roll:

Jimbo5000
08-08-2007, 09:02
Thanks mate - would appreciate that.

Yeah been reading around the forum and everyone says that its a pain to do. But then it wouldnt be a clio if it wasnt :lol:

willywayne
08-08-2007, 09:05
Hi mate, here is the part number 7701467633 Its described as a clutch pedal and cost me £26.83 inc vat.

Hope this helps

let me know how you get on.

Jimbo5000
08-08-2007, 09:43
cheers - prob wont do it straight away as I have got half the suspension off at the mo and got other bits and pieces to do. Will keep you posted tho.

Scougar
08-08-2007, 10:33
It is a right pain in the butt to get the pins back in along with all the washers etc :( It took me hours and I had to leave a single metal washer out just to get it to fix (so now I get a 'squeak' when i press the clutch pedal, lol).

Good luck with yours, it can be a horrendous job and may find yourself upside down with your leg touching the roof hehe.

Oh and I hate the way the cable itself is fine, but the ratchet mechanism destroys the plastic casing over time (meaning it doesn't grip and slips GRRR).

Matthew

mike16valver
08-08-2007, 11:53
I had the same problem only a while back,,

When the engine is cold i have a lovely gearbox No problems, as soon as it gets hot i can't select a gear AT ALL,

ME personally cannot see how it is your pedal rachet, how can the HEAT of the engine make the pedal rachet differ...???????

imo it is your pressure plate...... it sounds the same as mine, the fingers on the pressure plate gets weaker and more brittle when your engine is hot,

IF or when you take you clutch out, you will see that your clutch plate is probably fine and looks the dogs danglies... with loads or plate left on it, but the pressure plate fingers will be old and worn.
I would how ever sort it out soon, as i didn't and when i eventually changed the clutch i had kinda knackered my gearbox as well, MORE expense, its worth looking into the soft pedal conversion as well if you decided to change it...

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE ON THE EXACT SAME SIMPTONS,

106diablogti
08-08-2007, 12:36
I will give you a tip in changing the clutch pedal, remove the drivers seat! takes a few minutes to do and makes the job so much easier.

I found the clutch pedal was easier to do than fit a new clutch cable! couldn't get the bloody thing up through the bulk head :evil:

Scougar
08-08-2007, 13:43
2 things I found a problem... 1 bolt in the chair had completely seized (or rounded internally) and I honestly could not get the seat out. That was the first thing I tried to do.

The second was that I got the clutch cable through first time within 1 minute. Then unfortunately pulled it out by mistake, then spent the next 1hr 30 mins to 2 hrs trying to get it back through :shock: (also not helped by doing it in the dark between 7pm and 1:30 am).

My wife is going out with me for manual lessons (normally drives an auto) so I'm looking at doing the soft pedal conversion and getting that engine movement sorted out... really annoying me now, along with the kangaroo effect at low speed.

Matthew

white16valver
08-08-2007, 14:30
pffft

Leave it as standard so she gets to know what a proper clutch feels like, rather than these nancy light ones ;) lol

And sounds like new engine mounts + a dogbone mount is in order to stop the engine movement! :)

Scougar
08-08-2007, 16:05
Already put a new dogbone on, so that may be loose again.. but it still moved, just mounts are expensive lol.

Matthew

willywayne
12-08-2007, 15:54
Well a little update on the clutch.

I changed the pedal mechanism yesterday, a job i hope to never have to do again!:evil:

the only way i could do it without the bushes popping out was to make up the pedal without the spring, it then took me about an hour and half to get the spring attached with large amounts of swearing :evil: :evil:

Also fitted the new genuine Renault clutch cable. :wink:

But, i am now a very happy chappy coz it has sorted it! every gear goes in smooth now, even when it's hot, and the bite has come up to just under half of the pedal travel.
:D :D
Thanks for all the help from this forum :wink:

Daz.
12-08-2007, 15:56
Told ya mofo!

1995clio16v
12-08-2007, 17:54
Ive had so many problems with clutch cables, theyre a ****ing pain in the arse, yes they do get harder to work as the engine gets hot. I find that mine gets a grating feeling every now and then, still.

But if you aint gettin reverse and its difficult to engage then IMO you have/or who ever fitted routed the cable incorrectly which is a common problem when fitting!

I had problems engaging reverse on an old cable (think it was a copy) so I put a washer about 0.5cm thick in between the housing and the rubber at the clutch end of the cable.

Worked a treat!

:lol:

Punkymuffin
19-08-2007, 16:34
Well a little update on the clutch.

I changed the pedal mechanism yesterday, a job i hope to never have to do again!:evil:

the only way i could do it without the bushes popping out was to make up the pedal without the spring, it then took me about an hour and half to get the spring attached with large amounts of swearing :evil: :evil:

Also fitted the new genuine Renault clutch cable. :wink:

But, i am now a very happy chappy coz it has sorted it! every gear goes in smooth now, even when it's hot, and the bite has come up to just under half of the pedal travel.
:D :D
Thanks for all the help from this forum :wink:

Dun mine yday cuts and bruises all over hands :cry: , it was the bloody spring that dun me nearly an hour get the fooker on :evil:,
Harry now thgh as bite is up near the top YEY!!!!!!!!!! :D

Scougar
19-08-2007, 18:36
Yeah they heat up and become a bugger :( I hate that feeling. Only ever had it on this car, and a 1.6 primera after a high speed run lol

Matthew