PDA

View Full Version : oil change guide/ what oil

bendee
02-08-2007, 13:41
right my car needs a oil change and ive never done one before could someone give me a quick quide on how to do one so i dont cock anything up. might seem quite simple but i just want to make sure.

also what kinda oil should i use whats the good stuff?

Swervin_Mervin
02-08-2007, 13:58
Oil: Most 10w40 is ok so long as you change regularly. Frequent changes are more important than just buying the most expensive oils.

Change: Get a container to drain the oil in to. I use a Draper oil cather with a pouring spout. Make sure the engine oil is hot but beware of getting it on you.

Basically undo sump nut on back of sump and drain in to container. Leave until it's mostly drained.

Get a filter wrench and lie under the car (axle stand it preferably) with your head just poking out from under the bumper. You should be able to get your hand and wrench up on to the filter and loosen it. Then spin it off by hand and remove, trying to keep the open side facing up to avoid pouring the oil everywhere.

Re-fit the sump plug with a new washer. Get new filter and wipe some clean oil around the rubber seal. Then re-fit that and do it up hand tight.

Then just fill 'er up with new oil.

bendee
02-08-2007, 14:54
loverly ok does it need a new filter every oil change?

and by hand tight do you mean as tight as itll go by hand or so you know its on and wont come off.

Swervin_Mervin
02-08-2007, 16:16
As tight as you can is what I do, just using hands.

And yes, new filter every time.

arj256
02-08-2007, 17:03
Just to add my prefered way:

Idle car for 5-10mins
Turn off engine, then remove oil cap and jack up the car.
Undo the sump plug washer using a 8mm square sump key (Halfords)
Empty into a 5-6ltr bottle. if your doing it cheap then cut the side of an old oil bottle.
Take off the grill and put hand inbetween the headlight and radiator and undo oil filter.
Put some new oil on the new oil filter seal using your finger and do up filter hand tight then nipped.
Put new sumpwasher on. (very high chance being a ally one with rubber insert). and do up nut.
Dejack car, and top up oil. Then run for few mins and retop up when cool.

My prefered oil is Fuchs Titan XTR 10 40w from gsf £12 for 5ltrs
Get a genuine filter from Renault and a sump washer to save hassle.

Swervin_Mervin
02-08-2007, 17:09
I did mine through the headlight last time. Cue huge electrical bang. Bloody Alternator wire had been on the brink of breaking and I broke it. Sparks everywhere. :lol:

arj256
02-08-2007, 17:14
I did mine through the headlight last time. Cue huge electrical bang. Bloody Alternator wire had been on the brink of breaking and I broke it. Sparks everywhere. :lol:

Lol nothing like a good shock when working on the car.
I done simular with the exhaust manifold on the starter. Made me jump :roll:
Funny thing is haynes usually says about disconnecting the battery, pah what they know lol.

Yeah the headlight way isnt bad but its even easier removing the grill as thats 2 bolts iirc.
And your much closer to the filter.
The best way imo.

bendee
02-08-2007, 17:56
very good cheers guys should be fairly straight forward i can get my hand on the oil filter easy enough through the gap between headlight and radiator.
ill get down to renault tomorrow and get oil filter and sump plug.

how much oil will i need?

arj256
02-08-2007, 17:58
1.8 16v 5ltrs should be fine
Williams 6ltrs should cover it
Iirc

bendee
03-08-2007, 18:05
i got some castrol gtx 10w 40 is that any good got 5 liters would i need more?

Tommo
06-08-2007, 12:39
Heard bad things about Castrol GTX mate, few people here have had problems with it, just doesn't seem to agree with these engines. I have used Shell Helix 10-40 and it's spot on, good stuff. Currently running mine with Catrol Edge, but engine seems a bit tappety so will be going back to Helix when the next service is due!

drsmith1979
06-08-2007, 13:35
some people have suggested the magnatec and other castrol oils have caused problems, but that may be more down to the state of their engine rather than the oil so i wouldnt worry. The magnatec is a semi synth which is fine, i like silkolene etc.. from oil man, but it can get expensive! lol

bendee
06-08-2007, 13:52
ah bugger the engines just had a rebuild and after i ran it in its needed a oil change witch is what im doing now should i take it back and get some different stuff just to make sure? dont want to use it and find out its crap.

what should i get bearing in mind its from halfords lol needed to do it today as its me day off.

MAXIBOY
06-08-2007, 14:01
how many miles has it done

bendee
06-08-2007, 14:09
engines was aparantly on around 40k when bought with service hstory and since rebuild around a thousand

bendee
06-08-2007, 16:04
so shall i use this oil? i want to get it done today so ill apreciate the quick replys :D

106diablogti
06-08-2007, 21:15
I use Millers XFS 5w-40w Fully synthetic and my car loves it : ) I don't think you will be able to get hold of that at Halfords though.

Another Oil I use is Fuchs TITAN SUPERSYN SL
SAE 5W-40 which is available from German Swedish French.

Both are high quality oils.

Hope that helps.

106diablogti
06-08-2007, 21:16
Oh and don't use that Castrol GTX Magnacrap in your mota :shock: :lol:

1995clio16v
06-08-2007, 21:30
I find taking the battery off and ik kit/filter box or whatever you have and whacking a long rod through the filter gives enough purchase to unscrew it.

I always find the twat is too tight to undo by hand, far too tight.

Thats the easiest way I find.

Just make sure that the rod doesnt go near the thread!

:shock:

I suppose theres lots of ways of doing it and people have their own ways.

bendee
06-08-2007, 23:06
local halfords had mobil super s or mobile one stuff had the super s in what i wanted and non of the mobile one so i left it.

after aload of searchs and alot of frustration of what i needed lol i thought mobile one in 5w40 would be a good choice? is that right they didnt have it in so ill go to a few places tomorrow and see if i can pick some up.