PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt(s) Mk1 16v

gweebs
02-08-2007, 09:11
Obviously will be doing the rounds on the phone and calling Hillpower or Yozzasport.

But how much for a cambelt change? Has anyone had it done recently?

Thanks!!! :lol:

Jimbo5000
02-08-2007, 11:51
I think i paid about £380 for over 8 hours labour in all a couple of months ago, but that included changing the cambelt, tensioners, waterpump and alternator. Parts were on top of that.

gweebs
02-08-2007, 17:10
I think i paid about £380 for over 8 hours labour in all a couple of months ago, but that included changing the cambelt, tensioners, waterpump and alternator. Parts were on top of that.

380 quid, shit the bed. Wasn't thinking that much!!
More like 200. I'll have to fine a sympathtic mechanic....

Laine_16v
02-08-2007, 17:22
Its a pretty time consuming job.

stan
02-08-2007, 17:29
£200 for just the belt changed from me.

Jimbo5000
02-08-2007, 18:01
380 quid, s**t the bed. Wasn't thinking that much!!
More like 200. I'll have to fine a sympathtic mechanic....

Yeah must admit i wasnt expecting it to be that much. I was originally estimated £250 plus Vat for the cambelt only, but got em to do the other bits as well while it was in pieces. Trouble is if the garages charge £45 an hour or there abouts it aint gonna be cheap :cry:

I had to settle for the place I went to as I had trouble finding places willing to do it or not quoting stupid amounts. One place quoted £500 plus Vat for the Cambelt only!!! :shock: I'll tell you the second word they went through my had was off!! lol

rob-legend
02-08-2007, 18:03
renault chardge me near enough 400 quid jus for the belt!

rob-legend
02-08-2007, 18:06
*charged

need an edit button here like :roll:

cliorod
02-08-2007, 18:16
I got mine changed about 3 months ago,by a senior Renault maniac ( mechanic) as a "foreigner":twisted: :evil: who just loves Williams :lol: :lol: ,use the workshop,changed the auxillary belt,oil and filter at the same time,started 12:30 after work,Ipicked the car up at 4:30 :wink: :roll: :wink: all done and dusted :wink: :wink: running like a dream ~~~ £50 plus £80 for the parts, :wink: :wink: :oops: :oops:
He is an absolute demon on the Clio's.
I guess it is all about who you know :wink: :roll: :wink: ~~Makes you think why main agents charge the NORMAL fees to do this task.

I hope I have not upset anyone ~~ not intentional if I have. :wink:

Daz.
02-08-2007, 18:18
^^^ nope just volunteered yourself for a milliom private messages!

cliorod
02-08-2007, 18:32
No Probs DAZ :lol: :shock: :lol:
Like I said :~ "It is all about who you know" etc etc. I have excellent dealings with most parties at my main agents, :twisted: :twisted: ,and the guy concerned :wink: :wink: ~~ But I am 100% certain ~~ they would let him do the task for every one !!!! :oops: :oops:
You should know ~~ we have talked about this several times,
Plus I have done favours for the guy and the garage concerned ~~ selling stuff on ebay etc :wink:

SO PLEASE GUYS ~~ " DO NOT ASK ME FOR THE SAME :oops: :oops: IT WILL NOT HAPPEN !!!!

MatBrown
08-08-2007, 01:03
Hillpower charges about £200.

Mat.

white16valver
08-08-2007, 14:37
Is it something an amateur (i.e. me lol) could do when it needed doing?

Will be a while before mine needs doing (thank you Mr Brown :cool:) but just wondered :)

Allan
08-08-2007, 15:44
i have done 2 now, just followed the haynes and used some guess work lol

took me 12 hours first go :S
mainly as i had to keep going to halfruads to buy tools lol

but its not a bad job as long as you dont mind a big of hardwork, got my dad to help with parts too but could be done on your own, just some of the gaps are small and i had to get a load of low space tools

Allan
08-08-2007, 15:45
big = bit

white16valver
09-08-2007, 12:39
Fancy listing the tools needed? ;) lol :)

Allan
09-08-2007, 13:50
i did it in november last but i used a trolly jack and axel stands, various sockets, just got a halfruads set, and a low space torx set, looks like a ring spanner with like short torx bits, was handy for undoing all the covers.

then somthing to lock the fly wheel in TDC i used a big screw driver, but it probably has a real tool for doing it.

If you dont lock it up the engine will turn when you slacken off the bottom pully, it isnt hard just a pain as the engine is hard to work on in place, i used the trolly jack to move the engine up and down so i could get at the side of engine.

Coops
09-08-2007, 14:44
alan key to lock the engine, works fine.

its simple enough to do, just fiddly is all, as allan says, not much space to wiggle stuff around in, can move engine up and down to help tho. i've only ever done the idle pulley with the head off aswell, must be tricky with the head on?

where did you get the short torx bits from n all man? would be v useful!

Allan
09-08-2007, 20:51
the set was from halfrauds, 30 quid :S proper rip off really, and getting at idler and tensioner was a remove engine mounts and jack the car / engine up and down to get at it job.

Took me and my dad ages to do it lol, i think engine out is easiest option tbh !

Coops
09-08-2007, 21:08
yeah i'll agrees as the rear plastic cover is over the idler so cant be easy to shift it with head on, i just lever it out the way with head off and squeeze the idler in.