PDA

View Full Version : battery warning light phase 1 J reg

shrimperwrx
31-07-2007, 15:07
sat in traffic the other day approx 2 hours, ( didnt overheat ) !!! but what did happen was that my battery warning light came on. on the way home and after a good run the light went out . i thought that was that , but now when i use the car and the fan cuts in or when its idling for a while the light comes back on......then when i drive for a bit more it goes out again. it doesnt fail to start etc as it is does the daily trip to work and gets used quite a bit....now done 114900. is it the alternator or just a buggered battery. cheers

MAXIBOY
31-07-2007, 15:33
sounds like it starting to fail as it wll produced less charge at idle than when at higher revs. get a multi meter and test it

BRUN
31-07-2007, 16:18
yup, does look like the alternator could be on its way, however if the wire on the alt is dodgy that can make the light come on, doesnt look likely though as its coming on at idle which it would do, higher revs = more power so the light prob wont come on

you want 14.4v ideally, but anything over 13.5v when its under load is ok (i.e. stereo on, heaters/fans on etc)