PDA

View Full Version : No oil pressure!!!

simonr85
31-07-2007, 13:54
Noticed when driving it quite hard yesterday the oil pressure guage was sat at 0, is this bad???

turned my car off and left it for a few hours, when i turned it back on there was a probs 2 bar of pressure but when put foot down it dropped to 0?

MAXIBOY
31-07-2007, 14:20
oil pressure should go up with revs but will drop with heat. from cold there should be 3 bar approx @ idle

drsmith1979
31-07-2007, 15:00
check your level, it may be a little low, what grade is it? some people have had similar problems by using too thin oil and when its hot it struggles to get pressure when hammered, but as has been said many a time before, the pressure gauge isnt the most accurate thing in the world and is more of an indicator rather than a accurate reading

simonr85
31-07-2007, 15:06
check your level, it may be a little low, what grade is it? some people have had similar problems by using too thin oil and when its hot it struggles to get pressure when hammered, but as has been said many a time before, the pressure gauge isnt the most accurate thing in the world and is more of an indicator rather than a accurate reading

well i was thinking it wont be accurate , but something must be wrong as it was sat at "0" pressure

oil is near full and its 15w40 i think or 10w40 castrol fully synthetic

what oil would you reccomend?

drsmith1979
31-07-2007, 15:18
oil sounds fine to me, what colour is it on the dipstick? i know some people with other cars have had problems with some castrol products, magnatec etc...

to be honest, my car's pressure drops when its warm too, i think most do, i suppose worst case scenario it could be a faulty oil pump? or an oil leak somwhere?

BRUN
31-07-2007, 16:21
ive had zero pressure once before, but only on a long hot run for hours, then going to idle

with a 10W-40 it is possible to get no pressure especially in this weather and if the car is being driven hard then idling

could try a thicker oil, should be fine at the moment now we finally have some good weather, such as a 10W-50

as has been mentioned i wouldnt recommend castrol magnatec, for some reason these engines dont seem to agree with it, get very noisy with it in

white16valver
31-07-2007, 16:32
as has been mentioned i wouldnt recommend castrol magnatec, for some reason these engines dont seem to agree with it, get very noisy with it in
Not wrong!! lol

Elf Excellium from the stealers is good I find - £23 or so with nice man behind the counter discount :cool:

white16valver
31-07-2007, 16:32
Not wrong!! lol

Elf Excellium from the stealers is good I find - £23 or so with nice man behind the counter discount :cool:
That is the 5w40 I mean lol

Lunner
31-07-2007, 18:31
Check the connection to the oil pressure sender at teh back of the engine, below the lifting eye, if this is dodgy you can get symptoms liek you describe when the engine moves as you drive

simonr85
01-08-2007, 10:12
ive had zero pressure once before, but only on a long hot run for hours, then going to idle

with a 10W-40 it is possible to get no pressure especially in this weather and if the car is being driven hard then idling

could try a thicker oil, should be fine at the moment now we finally have some good weather, such as a 10W-50

The tappets have gone noisy recently, its tappin a lot come to think of it

Imperial_16v
01-08-2007, 13:44
That's weird, my car has just started doing this! Recently had the head rebuilt and my pressure reads really low now. Hardly goes above 2 bar and when started from cold it's around 3 bar. When driving it seems to sit around 1 bar now (whereas before it would be similar to the rev counter).

Before the head rebuild it was running 10w-50 Silkolene but Nick at Hill Power has just put semi-synthetic 10w-40 in. Would this cause such a massive difference?

I am going to check how full it is tonight, but it's a bit worrying. :S

stan
01-08-2007, 14:32
who rebuilt your head, and what exactly was done to it??

as for low pressure, as lunner said check electrics and failing that get a meachanical check done.

If its suddenly gone very tappety from the top-end, its a sign it has got low oil pressures, as the followers are struggling to take up clearance.

simonr85
01-08-2007, 14:35

as for low pressure, as lunner said check electrics and failing that get a meachanical check done.

If its suddenly gone very tappety from the top-end, its a sign it has got low oil pressures, as the followers are struggling to take up clearance.

can this cause bad damage if not sorted quickly?

and did you get my PM regarding the website???

stan
01-08-2007, 14:46
yes, it can cause catastrophic damage if not sorted.

yes i got your pm...i mustnt have replied though :lol: i'll do it later :D

simonr85
01-08-2007, 15:24
yes, it can cause catastrophic damage if not sorted.

yes i got your pm...i mustnt have replied though :lol: i'll do it later :D

If i take it to any garage will they be able to check easy enough?

if i have an oil leak could this be the problem? cos think i remember seeing a bit of oil on bottom of block

and thanks regarding PM

Imperial_16v
01-08-2007, 16:50

Hi Stan

It was Nick from Hill Power. I had it stripped, cleaned and rebuilt. I supplied the new top-end gasket set and x16 new hydraulic lifters.

It is tappety from the top, but only for a very short while when cold. I'm going to check the oil in a short while once she's cooled down.

If she is full, I'll check what Lunner has suggested. Might give Nick a ring back...

(Sorry for the thread hi-jack :oops: )

Imperial_16v
01-08-2007, 17:55
Well just checked, for me, my oil is full as well... nice golden colour (not dark black). :( :( :(

Going to ring Nick tomorrow. (I couldn't see that sensor Lunner mentioned btw).

Simon, hope you get yours fixed soon. If I find out what happened with mine I can let you know? Sorry for jacking your thread slightly as well mate. ;)

Thanks all.

BRUN
01-08-2007, 19:15
the difference between the 10W-40 and 10W-50 could certainly give you different pressure readings

if anyone is getting a noisy top end, and is using Magnatec, before you spend anymore money on mechanics etc, change the oil to something else

then, if its still noisy, you can get an additive to help things, hydraulic valve lifter treatment made by Wynns, or Forte top end treatment if you can find it

stan
01-08-2007, 20:12
aye change the oil...shouldnt need any treatments on new followers though.

BRUN
02-08-2007, 00:46
yup true, i didnt really read that part lol