PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed

Smudger
30-07-2007, 16:12
Now that the Williams has gone through her MOT (went straight through on friday 8) ) im gonna look at tidying her up so im encouraged to clean her more often!

First off i want to sort the wheels out. I have previous spraying experience and have at my disposal all the tools needed to do the job (compressor, spray gun, shot blaster and sand blaster). what im not sure on however is where to get the paint from.

I hear so many stories of ppl getting their wheels professionally re-furbed but all with different results (i.e. different shades of Speedline Gold)

I have got the paint code from searching the forums but if ppl could possibly advise on the best place to order the paint from it would be very useful

cheers :wink:

drsmith1979
30-07-2007, 16:19
refurbing wheels if they simply need painting isnt hard really, its all in preparation.

go to your local motor factors who supplies local garages with paint and take the paint code and tell him what its for. he will let you see it before he seals it up so you can see for yourself. cheaper to buy it in paint form rather than aerosol, but you obviously have to have the spraying gear (which you do)

At the end of the day, even with the correct paint code there will be variances in the shade as most are done by hand and usign scales to weigh the ingreidents. so it will only be as good as the mixer, i use a small one in wigan near to where Northy lives and have always got a spot on match regardless what colour it was. Remember to be liberal with the laquer especially on the outer cut rim - which is simple enough to do yourself too (not professional finish but good enough!)

Smudger
30-07-2007, 16:23
a mate of mine works for an insurance approved repair centre in chelmsford. i have been over there before to get him to spray bits for me but the company was taken over a few months back and any private work is no longer allowed.

I might be able to get him to mix me up some paint tho if he can get away with it

Dan_mk1
30-07-2007, 16:28
Fella I have some paint left from my refurb, I didnt use it but its the spot on colour...its yours if you wanna pick it up...

Smudger
30-07-2007, 16:33
Dan nice one. How much have you got?? Need enough to do 5 rims as i got a speedline for a spare aswell

Dan_mk1
30-07-2007, 17:13
Got 1/4 of a litre (i think), a mate who supplied the paint said it would be enough for 4, dunno about 5 tho...I can always point you his way when you come down tho...

Smudger
30-07-2007, 17:25
that should be ok then.

greatly appreciated tho mate. top man! ;)

Dan_mk1
31-07-2007, 09:49
No probs fella, just let me know when your coming down, im only in croydon so not far from you.

Smudger
31-07-2007, 10:47
No probs fella, just let me know when your coming down, im only in croydon so not far from you.

Good stuff where abouts in croydon actually. im sure i might have seen you about down that way before

anywhere near wallington?