PDA

View Full Version : Thinking bout leds in my Dashboard? What do you think?

spadey
28-07-2007, 07:36
Ok before you all think ive gone chavtastic, I have to replace my Rev counter so the first question is how the bloody hell do I get my Speedo out of the dash???? Next when I get it out and replace it I want to put xenon white leds in place of the standard bulbs in the clocks and and also the centre oil clock console but was wondering if any one had any thoughts or pictures of it done?

Ive done it to other cars with blue leds before but with Willy I dont want him chaved up so thought ultra bright white xenon leds might look good...

Any thoughts, tips for removing speedo unit or pics are greatly appreciated.

Steve

bill.
28-07-2007, 07:45
here you go pal, this the kind of thing you mean? should be of some help
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20103

FATBOY
28-07-2007, 09:48
i tried and failed! its not as straight forward as u may think! check out that link above! the person who done that did them really well! i think he may(if ya pay and send him the clocks) do them for ya!

spadey
28-07-2007, 10:10
Well ive done it on MR2s RS Turbos and other cars so I know how fiddly it can be.... I need to change the rev counter as mine works for a few seconds then dies plus my thermometer thing just flashes 50 at me all the time so was gonna change that too...

Ive got a full set of 16 valve clocks so was gonna experiment but I still dont know how to even get the Will clocks out in the first place....

Steve

FATBOY
28-07-2007, 10:13
check back on some guides regarding removal of clocks! there is lots of torx screws around the steering wheel cowling that have to come of first. the main thing with the williams/valver clocks is yes you can change the bulb but there is an orange coloured plastic that sits behind the dials and in front of the led's, so you will have to rub down the orange plastic part to make it clear again. i think you have to even rub the needles down as well?(fiddly)

spadey
28-07-2007, 10:14
Another question which bulbs are they in the dashboard and the oil gauges? Are they 501 type? How hard are the oil gauges to take out as well?

Steve

FATBOY
28-07-2007, 10:16
not hard to get the auxilary gauges out.. obviously the dash top is removed and then its a case of torx screw after torx screw! theres 2 different sizes of led, look back over guides to find the sizes out.

spadey
28-07-2007, 10:25
Thanks ive looked at the guides and seem not to bad as I have a spare set to practice on.. One thing though when youve sanded the orange off the perspex behind the clock will they not be all scatched and the light wont shine thru? Just a thought.

Steve

FATBOY
28-07-2007, 10:27
that im not sure(scratching). best bet is pm the people that have done them before. reckon some wet and dry would do it maybe???