Having major problems with Lauras car

Story in brief

Wheel bearings went
****ed the hubs
Put new bearings in second hand ABS hubs
Put it all back together
Drives like a bag off shite
Cars to far off the scale to track

Ive not touched the rack or track rods, but the tracking place said something major isn't right for the tracking to be 35mm out either side

So i changed all the bits i had changed for for lower mileage ones of a car i knew drove straight.... Still got the problem

It baffels me how it can be so much out when ive not even touched the rack/rods, I have just changed the hubs.....It drove perfectly straight and fine before

HELP!!!! :oops: :cry:

Cheeers
Winston

MatBrown
24-07-2007, 19:18
Have you bent the steering arm on the hub when fitting new bearings?
Have seen this happen to a mate.

Mat.

Winston
24-07-2007, 19:19
I've now had 2 sets of hubs on it mate!! :(

I did initially think this myself!!

number1
24-07-2007, 19:23
The steering arm on the hub before was bent and the tracking was set to compensate? can happen when your pressing out stuck in bearings take the new ones off and pair them up to the old ones

Dave

number1
24-07-2007, 19:26
i mean the hubs, lol dont take the bearings back out, i need to use full stops more lol

Dave

summeh
24-07-2007, 19:39
Hi mate, the car is running silly camber is it not? Camber will have a direct effect on the tracking setting. Each time the camber is adjusted you will need to correct the tracking.

Are you running willy or valver shockers and is it wide tracked or what? Pretty sure willy/valver shockers are different?

Winston
24-07-2007, 19:49
That was more down to dodgy cut springs at FCS as i thought the coilover had effected it and thus removed them :roll: :oops:

no camber problems with the AVO's fitted today

All the hubs look straight i have off.... really hard to tell tho lol

Cheers guys for the replys... I am truely pickled by it all :evil:

MAXIBOY
24-07-2007, 20:25
took mine for tracking yesterday and it was toeing in that much i had no readings either. wound it out to 2 mm toe out eventually. can happen. different height suspension can have an effect also.

MAXIBOY
24-07-2007, 20:27
plus mine was really out on one side. had to swing steering from side to side and centralise the steering wheel before even starting.

didn,t fix the engine though :shock:

number1
24-07-2007, 23:19
All the hubs look straight i have off.... really hard to tell tho lol

Do the originals look as straight as the ones you fitted?

if the originals or even one of them was bent the tracking could have been set to suit them previously.

I made the mistake of having 2 new tyres and the tracking set the day before fcs, unfortunatley the track rod end was bent in the rack arm and would not come out with heat, so brute force ended up snapping off the track rod end and i thought great, no fcs for me!! luckyly i had a spare rack and swapped the end, problem didnt cease there, no one could track it, couldnt get the lasers on, so after much thinking i constructed a home made tracking system, (consisted of a plank of wood and some string and some chalk) did it myself in the garden tiny bit of toe in, and doesnt pull either way, gonna get it done properly soon

Dave

white16valver
25-07-2007, 11:34
What are all the components bolted to - the subframe?

Could that be ****ered?

Lunner
25-07-2007, 11:56
plus your car can't be too far out to track, unless you run outa thread on the track rods, i had a bent shock whihc cuased mine to be out, swapped shocks and teh laser that points accross the front of the car when they track it up was about 50mm off the end of the plate, just wound it back in

Matty86
25-07-2007, 11:57
mine was like that

track rod is bent

though that was caused by the driveshaft hitting it when it sheared....

Winston
25-07-2007, 12:18
Can't wind the track rods on any more.... :cry:

Ive had enuff and think the time to change the rack has come :roll:

Can't see it being anything else :?

Lunner
25-07-2007, 12:26
****ing wierd that one mate, if the steering arms aren't bent i can only see it being the rack, still easy enough to swap the rack, well a manual one is anyways :P

northy
25-07-2007, 13:34
you using the correct hubs winston ? 16v / williams ones ?

Winston
25-07-2007, 16:22
Yup!!! 16v ABS hubs.... which are the same as Non ABS hubs but with sensors

PICKLED!!!!!!

Matty86
25-07-2007, 16:52
Yup!!! 16v ABS hubs.... which are the same as Non ABS hubs but with sensors

PICKLED!!!!!!

got any spare ABS sensors? :D

Lunner
25-07-2007, 16:53
Pretty much impossible to remove them without destroying them

northy
25-07-2007, 16:54
so nothing has changed bar the hubs ???? did u remove the hub to fit the new bearings ?

Lunner
25-07-2007, 17:01
so nothing has changed bar the hubs ???? did u remove the hub to fit the new bearings ?

No he cut the hub in half on the car and fitted the new bearing around the driveshaft while it was still on the car...think about it northy...

summeh
25-07-2007, 17:11

No he cut the hub in half on the car and fitted the new bearing around the driveshaft while it was still on the car...think about it northy...

lol

northy
25-07-2007, 17:20

PMSL shut it u slag

Well u never know when the winstoniser gets going....but i ment did he fully remove the hub or just let it dangle with bits still attached ?

Winston
25-07-2007, 17:29
LOL

I had to use new (S/H) hubs... as the ones that came on the car had been worn by the ****ed bearings.

I changed a driveshaft as well... I have also changed the driveshaft again as well as the hubs

summeh
25-07-2007, 17:43
cars not bent is it?