PDA

View Full Version : Speedo issues

alex_e3
24-07-2007, 17:03
Took the hybrid out for the first time today!

However, my speedo isn't working for some reason? I snapped the clip at the gearbox end of it when i pulled it out, but it went back into the same gearbox and worked perfectly before.

Any ideas? Does it need the clip to locate it properly.

Another issue is that when you take the revs up a bit, the car idles at 2k rpm and doesn't come back down until you restart the car - is this because the speedo is not working? I've heard people had issues with high idling and speedos - but it's normally the earth IIRC???

Advice is appreciated! Right........ of to work!

Cheers,

Al

nath
24-07-2007, 17:07
the road speed sensor on the speedo cable behind the dash has probably come loose, had this on my valver, either the black sensor part has falled out the white plastic part or the plug has come loose(probably not the plug tho) if you've broken the clip at the gearbox end mite be best just buying a new one.... which is the best part of 50quid new.

alex_e3
25-07-2007, 00:41
Don't understand how it could just come loose as i haven't been anywhere near that part of the car. Really can't see it.

But the speedo is definitely not working - don't particularly fancy shelling out for a new speedo cable, not to mention the arse of a job of pulling it through behind the dash!

Anyone else? As mentioned - was working perfectly before i broke that clip. But isn't that just to hold the cable in tighter?

Cheers,

Al

MAXIBOY
25-07-2007, 01:08
take it out a check it again. but i had one missing for ages.

alex_e3
25-07-2007, 10:05
Aye will have a look today cheers mate.

cliokiz
25-07-2007, 10:29
I can pull my speedo cable out of my gearbox without pulling the black clip out, it just pulls out lol

When i put my engine back in i just pushed the speedo cable in and it worked, but then it kept going all over the place and eventually stopped working, so i pushed the cable in harder and now it's fine.

Try pulling your cable out and putting it back in again but make sure it's pushed in well!

alex_e3
25-07-2007, 19:54
Problem sorted - pulled it out again today, took the plastic guide out, and pushed it in hard. Moved it, and problem sorted!

So just took it back out, re-fitted the plastic guide, then pushed it in really hard - felt it move that little bit further this time.

It has solved my high idle problem as anticipated!

Next problems.........

Re-seal thermostat housing as i have a tiny drip leak;

Change dog bone mount as it has decided to knacker as soon as the other engine went in;

Re-mount exhaust as it's knocking like a bitch now!;

Try & fix the blower motor - stopped working today after i went through the car wash!;

Bleed the brakes.

I think that's it! For now anyway! Jesus the things we go through with these cars!

MAXIBOY
25-07-2007, 21:05
exhaust knocking could be due to the dogbone so do that first

cliokiz
26-07-2007, 00:11
Have you put the bolt in the right way round on the dogbone? It will knock against the exhaust if you have the nut end closest to it (i think) as it will stick out more

BristolSam16v
26-07-2007, 01:39
Re heater blower, turn it so it should be on then reach under the scuttle panel and wiggle the resistor switch round see if that solves it, have that problem with mine :( or could need a new switch all together!

alex_e3
26-07-2007, 10:15
Maxi - exhaust was knocking before the mount went, it's missing a couple of rubbers i think.

cliokiz - i can't remember which way around it was to be honest, but the knock is from the exhaust hitting the torsion bar!

The dog bone is definitely knackered, 'coz on overrun the car jolts and jerks. & when i had the car jacked up, i undid the wheel bolts, and the engine was rocking massively!!!

BristolSam16v - cheers for that, i was gonna try summut like. They were working bloody fine 'till i strolled through the car wash!

Cheers guys,

Al

finlay
07-08-2007, 11:46
I can pull my speedo cable out of my gearbox without pulling the black clip out, it just pulls out lol

When i put my engine back in i just pushed the speedo cable in and it worked, but then it kept going all over the place and eventually stopped working, so i pushed the cable in harder and now it's fine.

Try pulling your cable out and putting it back in again but make sure it's pushed in well!
i cant even pull my cable out

jay s
07-08-2007, 19:32
lol done a gearbox change on mine on the weekend and while taking out the cable i snapped both clips, then once engine was all back in put cable back in, took car for a drive and speedo just stopped looked under the bonnet and it had come out the box. tried pushing it in as hard as possible and ended up snapping the cable :roll: was gonna put a post up about the idle but youve answered the question already( mines doing the same ) gonna fit a new cable on the weekend.