PDA

View Full Version : Hmm

Manny
22-07-2007, 20:33
Was looking for the ISCV on my RSi and noticed a wire hanging and a green plug on engine block, just to the right of the drivers headlight, so i plugged it in and now have blackpool illuminations in my dash... and 1 of the dials moved...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/crissyboy/22-07-07_1937.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/crissyboy/22-07-07_1936.jpg
handbrakes on and common sense tells me i need petrol...
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/crissyboy/22-07-07_1935.jpg
whats the dial on the right and why is it lit up all of a sudden? and at the top? and why the red light on the left dial? presuming its my engine temp?

i gather u know the problem ive been having with the posts ive added/commented on... idling and cutting out after 5 mins...

dan-hipgrave
22-07-2007, 22:06
I think the dial may be oil level - only supposed to work on ignition and drop once the engines been on for a few seconds. Tne red light in the temp gauge is for when the engine temp gets too high, this light is the final warning before the expansion tank blows its lid.

Manny
22-07-2007, 23:12
think it might b the thermostat? changed the TCS and it idles a bit lumpy b4 it cuts out... idles fine with the old 1, just wanna try and isolate the prob b4 i decide to spend money and get new iscv fitted and error codes checked etc...

Manny
22-07-2007, 23:26
oh, and whats the expansion tank? and whatll happen wen it blows? :?

cliokiz
23-07-2007, 12:45
That's the clear tank that you put coolant in (the liquid that is pumped through your engine, which goes to the radiator to be cooled down by the air or the fan.

If the water gets too hot for whatever reason, it will increase the pressure in the coolant system, and the cap is designed to release the pressure if there's too much of it.

So, if your coolant gets too hot, it can blow the cap off or just end up pissing out the top. Not a good thing! Happened to me before, the cap shot off, and the bonnet was open at the time, so i got completely covered in boiling hot coolant :shock:

Manny
24-07-2007, 00:30
ive just replaced the TCS and refilled the coolant/water... do u think its maybe the TCS causing this? i didnt plug the white 'unplugged' plug into the green reciever on the front of the engine until yesterday... about 2 weeks after replacing the TCS, so im unsure whether this problem existed b4 the replacement of the TCS... what else could cause the collant etc to overheat?

Manny
29-07-2007, 04:42
BUMP! :lol:

u33db
29-07-2007, 08:44
Show us the engine plugs you are on about.

I'm not seeing anything wrong though - the dial on the right is the oil level...its full, the dial on the right is temp...its at a low level.

Presume the engine isn't running there so that light may just come on with ignition - does it go out once its runing?

u33db
29-07-2007, 08:46
Oh, and the RSI ISCV is on top of the inlet manifold above the TB - its the silver christmas log shaped thing with a plug on the end.