PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Front Brake Lines or Fitting New Unions?

matty
19-07-2007, 20:18
Anyone done this.

My unions are sold and end up rounding. So to fit the Wilwood's I've just picked up I am going to have to get brake line cut and new Union made or whole new brake lines.

Anyone experienced this themselves and know costs involved?

Was quoted £120 for new lines to be fashioned and fitted a while back. Hopefully new unions are cheaper !!!!!

BristolSam16v
19-07-2007, 20:52
Yup had this few times when I fitted braided hoses and changed calipers.

All you have to do is cut the brake pipe before the union, buy a new union (cost pence) put it on the pipe and flare the end of the pipe using a flaring tool. I replaced the whole pipe on the drivers side as it was fairly short and easy to do.

Isn't very hard to be honest and if need be you can buy copper lines yourself and bend them.

MAXIBOY
19-07-2007, 22:31
yes mate did the whole car. easy enough with the right flaring tool . also i think automec do new brake lines kits that come already flared and just need bending into shape.

AmDaMan
19-07-2007, 23:28
if you don't have the tools try your local motor factor or garage, i got my fronts and rears made up for about £10.. All they needed were measurements and the fittings!

The hardest part is getting seized unions off, but moles grips and heat usually do it.

MAXIBOY
19-07-2007, 23:52
if i had measured up the pipes or someone wants to i can make them and send them at cost

arj256
20-07-2007, 13:32
One time i went to a scrappy and got a line off a 1.2. It was exactly the same, and the unions on that car where easy to undo.
Probably lucky it came undone easily, but an option.

Bailey_1260
20-07-2007, 19:51
How much you looking for a complete set of brake lines?

(front and rear)

MAXIBOY
20-07-2007, 20:06
i did the entire car with two rolls at six quid each and ends at 10 pence each for 18.

finlay
22-07-2007, 07:15
yes mate did the whole car. easy enough with the right flaring tool . also i think automec do new brake lines kits that come already flared and just need bending into shape.
hi

can you remember what size the unions/fittings are, and where did you get them from, was it a local shop or did you order them online ?

cheers

Clio_GTT
22-07-2007, 10:38
hi

can you remember what size the unions/fittings are, and where did you get them from, was it a local shop or did you order them online ?

cheers

10mm ends IIRC

MAXIBOY
22-07-2007, 11:29
as above 10mm metric fittings bought from my local motor factors

richy
22-07-2007, 11:36
i made new front lines for my 16v, just as maxiboy said, bought some copper piping rolls and all the ends, iirc mine was 11mm, and borrowed a flaring & pipe cutting tool, the rear lines will be coming off and be re-routed in the car soon, no worries of ripping them off if i come off track! :lol:

Bailey_1260
22-07-2007, 15:29
How hard is it to make your own pipes, mine have started rusting and i dont trust them

have been quoted around 200 quid to get new lines done :?

Clio_GTT
22-07-2007, 15:34
How hard is it to make your own pipes, mine have started rusting and i dont trust them

have been quoted around 200 quid to get new lines done :?

LMFAO, they're having a laugh, buy a couple of rolls of copper and the ends from your local motor factors and make them yourself.

Basically all you do is get the old one off, bend a length of new stuff to the same shape and cut it to length, put the fittings on the ends then flare them with a flarer and refit. Job done

Bailey_1260
22-07-2007, 19:17
LMFAO, they're having a laugh, buy a couple of rolls of copper and the ends from your local motor factors and make them yourself.

Basically all you do is get the old one off, bend a length of new stuff to the same shape and cut it to length, put the fittings on the ends then flare them with a flarer and refit. Job done

Love how everyone makes these jobs sound easy. lol.

No special tools needed to bend the lines then? im scared od weakening them and them bulging in operation :?

MAXIBOY
22-07-2007, 19:19
no just careful bending. you do need a flairing tool though.

Clio_GTT
22-07-2007, 20:11

Love how everyone makes these jobs sound easy. lol.

No special tools needed to bend the lines then? im scared od weakening them and them bulging in operation :?

That's because it is easy (maybe because i'm a plumber :lol: ) but anyone with a bit of patience should have a crack at it

richy
22-07-2007, 21:30
it is easy to do, the pipe you get in the rolls is easy to bend, just dont go bending it back and forth like a numpty! lol

all you need is a cutting tool and flaring tool, both can be bought from a tool shop!