PDA

View Full Version : Fook Me!

Daz.
18-07-2007, 17:49
Had a genuine renult clutch cable put on the car today and its stiff as foooooook!

I know they self adjust but how long do you have to be using it for? I remember my old valver had this but can't remember when it stopped doing it...

Tis making life VEY difficult to get into 2nd! Oh and its deffo routed correctly

Clio_GTT
18-07-2007, 17:55
get down the gym you nancy :lol:

it should self adjust with a few pumps but they tend to keep doing it for a while

white16valver
18-07-2007, 18:20
Stop being a girl lol

Mine just adjusted over a couple of weeks - until it did it would grind into reverse LoL

cliokiz
18-07-2007, 18:40
I put a new cable in mine and it was fine right from the start, not stiff at all, although having said that i've done the soft pedal conversion on my box.

Strange!

Daz.
18-07-2007, 21:16
RIGHT! ****ED OFF! :evil: :evil:

Could not get ANY gear at a junction, refused totally - there was no biting point all - it was as if you had released the clutch and tried to put it in gear - obviously ain't gonna happen!

Pumped the clutch like mad and all was well - managed to get into first and then it felt fine, nice and normal - problem solved!

Until it did it TWICE more - very embarassing and can't be doing the box any good by trying to batter it into a gear :evil: :evil: :evil:

What the ****s that all about?

Justin..
18-07-2007, 21:18
i had to go back to a non gen cable cos the gen one was so stiff!

rossdj1983
18-07-2007, 21:19
have you bent the clutch fork?

Daz.
18-07-2007, 21:25
No idea - was perfect before though - I was just wary of pattern parts so wanted a gen cable

Daz.
18-07-2007, 22:10
Just tried it again and all is terrible! :roll:

BigBoreBri
18-07-2007, 22:14
Is it clicking randomly to the floor or not at all??

Daz.
18-07-2007, 22:24
No clicking, the bite point at first was actually with the pedal touching the floor and that was 'just' about, then it loosened up a bit but was still very hard to get into gears... After it gave up the ghost it felt fine and like a normal cable but then it went back to the first step and decided to not engage at all.....

:roll: :roll: :roll:

The words '**** it off' are constantly on my mind at the moment :?

busterhymes
18-07-2007, 22:36
HAD SIMILAR PROB WITH SELECTING GEARS ESPECIALLY REVERSE ENDED UP CHANGING CLUTCH PEDAL ASSY AND ITS AS SWEET AS A NUT NOW WOULDN'T SAY THE OPERATION WAS HEAVY THOUGH :D :D :D :D

BigBoreBri
18-07-2007, 22:51
Only things i can think of is that either the clutch lever pedal assembly isn't right or the clutch cable is not attatched to the selector fork properly.

Also make sure the cable hasn't snapped any of the clips; there should be two along the subframe and another two along the engine bay IIRC.

northy
19-07-2007, 08:52
has the cable been fitted correctly daz ?

Replaced 0171's cable and pedal assembly and its amazingly smooth now

Purple
19-07-2007, 09:16
I added some spacers to my clutch cable to bring the bite point up from underneath the floor boards.

alex_e3
19-07-2007, 09:36
As above - i'd bet it's the clutch pedal assembly. Had the same problem on ours. Changed clutch and cable, still the same - so changed the pedal and was fine.

The pedal shouldn't be heavy though.

Seems to be a very common fault this one! & an annoying one!

white16valver
19-07-2007, 12:21
What I had to do for a while, especially for reverse, was switch off, put it in gear, then start it in gear with the clutch down as far as it would go - seemed to work as self-adjusted so it was fine after a week or so :)

Stick with it! lol

Daz.
19-07-2007, 17:43
Update:

Seems to be much better now so I'll run it as is for a while..

I'm an ass for not doing the pedal assembly like you say Northy - I did it to my old naples and oh my god how nice is it!

They changed the design a while ago and it just sorts everything out - I'm suprised people do soft pedal conversions when this is all is needed really...

I'll get one anyway and put it on regardless next time...