PDA

View Full Version : Compression test and engine timing

NAPLES VALVER 123
17-07-2007, 13:02
right with my car not starting going to do a compression test.

What kind of results should i be hoping for which should show the engine is good?

Also ive done alot of reserach trying to work out the problem and im going to check the timing of the engine.

How can i make sure that the pistons are at top dead center and cams are lined up.

Im sure i lined them up properly when i did cambelt but i do remember haveing trouble lining cams up with the indents on rocker.

If i take the cambelt off how can i line it all up spot on?

MAXIBOY
17-07-2007, 13:29
compression test should be done with wide open throttle and around the 180/190 mark i think.

lock the crank at tdc with the allen key through the bolt hole next to the dipstick. that will lock at tdc. then you can check which is where though the plug holes. cams should line up with marks on the rocker cover end.

Clio_GTT
17-07-2007, 17:03
as above, OE cambelts come with white marks on them too so you can line them up

NAPLES VALVER 123
17-07-2007, 18:07
compression test done and think i know the problem :cry:

Cylinder 1 is the only one with a decent compression 170psi, 2,3 and 4 are just making 35 psi. The engine is cold when this was done obvisouly because i cant get the car started.

Would the timing being out cause this?

if the timing wouldnt then what would?

please help

MAXIBOY
17-07-2007, 18:47
worn rings bad valve seats slightly bent valves etc. cant see the timing doing this

stan
17-07-2007, 20:20
if timing was out, it would be across all for.

sounds like bent valves to me....if the timing was out innitially, and you've tried to start it, this may be the problem.

BenR
17-07-2007, 22:36
leakdown test, it will tell you if its the inlet or ex valves which are leaking....if its the valves at all.