PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Williams brake discs and pads all round

spadey
17-07-2007, 08:11
Im going to preplace my Williams 2 brakes all round. Couple of questions,

1 What size are front, rear discs?
2 Should I go for drilled grooved on front?
3 Should I go for uprated pads?
4 How the hell do the pads come out front + back plus are the rear pistons just push in or on a stupid windy thing like some modern cars?

Basically any help from replacing discs and pads and what kind would any 1 recommend is really apprecaited.......

Where can I get a manula or should I just get a standard manula haynes for basic stuff? Will it cover enough stuff??

Steve

stevie_b
17-07-2007, 10:06
Haynes manual is fine for pad change instructions. Pretty clear and gives you all the torque settings you need for doing back up. It's a fairly straightforward job.

Front discs are 259 mm
Rear discs are 238 mm

I've run grooved discs for years but never drilled. Some say they can crack around the holes, but having never run them I can't confirm whether this is a common problem.

As for removing the pads, you need to undo the two (13mm, I think) guide pin bolts at the back of the caliper, the ones with a rubber sheath around them. You need a spanner on one section to stop it turning and then just undo the other one with a socket. The top part of the caliper then slides off and you can swap the pads. The cylinders can be pushed back into the caliper with pressure - they don't need to be 'wound' as you have to do on the German cars!

AndyFielder
17-07-2007, 10:15
*plug*

I have forsale some drilled, grooved breaks, they look to be almost brand new, took them off a car with the head gasket gone.

no lip formed watsoever and hardly anr rust/break dust.

Look in the forsale section.

Andy

Mattie
17-07-2007, 19:24
the rears have to be wound in iirc?....and you will also need new rear bearings pressed into the rear disks ready for when u swap them over!....some disks come with bearings already in, some dont!

spadey
21-07-2007, 20:00
Hi Can aomeone please confirm if im doing the rear discs on my Will they need to be wound in the pistons and the discs have to have new wheel bearings on them???????

Gonna change em next week but have all new fast road pads and grooved drilled front discs but no rear ones yet... Where is best to get them???

Any other tips please.......

Steve

MAXIBOY
21-07-2007, 20:10
yes i can confirm. rear discs need bearings pressed in them. rear calipers need the piston wound in. they have a cross on the piston face that helps this.

spadey
21-07-2007, 20:13
Hummm bummer..... So prob best just to replace pads as appose to discs then? Are they easy to wind in or do I need a special tool? Which way do they wind in?

Sorry for all the questions just wanna do it next week but wanna do it right....

Steve

MAXIBOY
21-07-2007, 20:16
can buy discs from renault as they have bearings fitted.

MAXIBOY
21-07-2007, 20:17
wind in clockwise. no special tools needed.

MattyH16valver
21-07-2007, 20:18
Hummm bummer..... So prob best just to replace pads as appose to discs then? Are they easy to wind in or do I need a special tool? Which way do they wind in?

Sorry for all the questions just wanna do it next week but wanna do it right....

Steve

I have used both a very blunt chizzle and hammer to turn the piston untill its far enough in and also a big flat headed screw driver and hammer too. Be carfull not to damage the metal too much though.