PDA

View Full Version : Sump Removal?

seanofnp
16-07-2007, 14:26
I have a sump on a spare engine and the one on the current williams engine in the car and both of them have seriously seized torx bolts, how on earth am i supposed to get them off? two of the bolts have rounded on the willy engine and i just cant get the others off on the spare engine.

Also, does the subframe need to be dropped to get it in/out? Looks tight.

arj256
16-07-2007, 16:52
I have just done a sump change, and had a bolt round on me.
I ended up just drilling off the head, and when there was room to drop the sump abit. I undid the rest of the bolt with some plyers.

You have to drop the subframe to get access to the bolts going over it.
I decided to take the subframe off so i could clean up the area and paint up the subframe.

seanofnp
16-07-2007, 17:01
Did you replace with torx bolts mate?

Also, did you buy a new sump? Renault want £200 for one :(

arj256
16-07-2007, 17:08
Yeah i did, there about 75p from Renault iirc.
I managed to pick one up second hand luckily.
Worst case is if you cant source another, get the old one welded back up once its off.

seanofnp
16-07-2007, 17:14
The sump has a huge bit missing by the gearbox, can see the flywheel so its unrepairable, i guess il have to try get the one off that other engine then.

Also mate, theres a clip that attaches the throttle cable to the pedal that broke today when i went to move it, will any mk1 clio clip work or will i need a new one for the 16v /williams from renault?

arj256
16-07-2007, 17:21
Ah a little bit broken then! I found when i was doing mine they all felt seized, but its just that the sealing compound to stop the sump leaking is in the threads hence why there tight.

If the clip is a replacable part, then you shold get away with any clip from a clio. As the pedal boxes on clios are the same as far as im aware?

seanofnp
16-07-2007, 17:27
Excellent, cheers for the info mate muchly appreciated, will crack on with all that tomorrow then! :)

BristolSam16v
16-07-2007, 19:27
Don't mean to sound dumb but I can see most of the fly wheel next to my sump due to the box I fitted not being a perfect fit!

Is it def cracked/split/blown up/spilt oil or is it just because you can see the flywheel?

seanofnp
16-07-2007, 19:46
Im definate its missing, theres a bottom part where i can see up into the gearbox (a gap) and the flywheel i can see on the side. On top of that the sump has a huge crack in it anyway along the bottom.

Danny-ACE!
16-07-2007, 20:44
If you have an air chisel you can get them off with that. This is what i did.

Chisel a little vertical groove into the bolt. Be very careful, you only want to do this lightly. When you have a groove, turn the chisel sidew ways to that it would spin the bolt off. Put the end into the groove you just made and shock it off. Works everytime. Just be careful as they are brutal tools.