PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Urgent!

white16valver
12-07-2007, 23:31
Ok – I appear to have fixed the power steering pipe issue *crosses everything* and have done a 15 mile test run to make sure it’s not losing fluid.
So far, so good…

BUT

Now the fan won’t cut in :mad: :(

I’ve put the connection together that sits at the top of it, I’ve connected the sensor thing into the rad… I’m stuck as to what it can be!

I need the car at half 8 Friday morning for a track day :( so any help VERY much appreciated :)

MAXIBOY
12-07-2007, 23:41
bridge the connector that goes on the rad. see what happens.

white16valver
12-07-2007, 23:56
Assuming it sparks, that's good??

MAXIBOY
13-07-2007, 00:00
well either the fan will run meaning the temp switch is at fault or it wont. if you then check voltage at that connection is there means you fan not working. then check voltage at the fan. helps pin point the problem.

white16valver
13-07-2007, 00:19
Ok, have bridged the connector that plugs into the rad and the fan spins, even with the engine off.

I guess it doesn't mean that I could have put it on the wrong way? Is it one-way only??

Do I need to separate and bridge the funny connector thing on the fan to check it? I haven't got a multimeter or anything so just used a pair of plastic handled scissors lol

cliokiz
13-07-2007, 00:26
Check the connector going to the switch on the side of the radiator, the wires can get brittle on that so you might have broken one of them.

Try bridging the two wires in that connector and the fan should come on (as if the fan switch has been activated). If this works then your fan switch is at fault.

MAXIBOY
13-07-2007, 00:28
no mate if the fan spins then either you put it on the wrong way which i don,t believe you can as all renault plugs have stuff to stop you putting them on the wrong way if they can only go one way or the fan temp switch has either failed or its not got hot enough to start the fan.

white16valver
13-07-2007, 00:30
Cool :)

So...

I've checked and the fan spins when I bridge the connector that plugs into the rad.

The fanswitch is therefore at fault.

(it's the thing that the connector plugs into is it?

white16valver
13-07-2007, 00:32
no mate if the fan spins then either you put it on the wrong way which i don,t believe you can as all renault plugs have stuff to stop you putting them on the wrong way if they can only go one way or the fan temp switch has either failed or its not got hot enough to start the fan.
Well, it was almost at the top of the gauge at one point, and it was like standing next to the sun when leaning over the bonnet lol, therefore I reckon it must be the fanswitch.

Pain in the arse I have to be at this track day for 9 :? as I won't be able to get out, unless I can nip to Renault Harlow during the lunch break...

MAXIBOY
13-07-2007, 00:37
mate the fan should only ever be needed when sitting still. should never come on while moving forward. its only there to draw air though the rad when stationary. thus stop the engine in traffic at others times should be cool.

white16valver
13-07-2007, 00:40
yeah, I guess so.

Thanks for the advice all 8)

Think I'll get to GSF for half 8 to pick up a fan temp switch, then set off to the venue. Worst case I can fix it there lol

Purple
13-07-2007, 01:48
If it's for track work, you don't really need the fan to switch on until you get back to the paddock after a few laps. Then you just switch on the heater to trigger the fan manually and pop the bonnet when stationary.

cliokiz
13-07-2007, 12:50
Take some coolant with you if you're changing it at the event, because when you take the fan switch out the rad will start pissing coolant everywhere!

You might need to drain the system unless you can do it really quickly!