PDA

View Full Version : How do you get wishbone off the hub?

stevie_b
10-07-2007, 20:54
I have bought some new wishbones but intended to just paint the hubs and reuse them. How do I separate the ball joint that goes into the hub?

I've taken out the pinch polt and am hammering a drift into the hole pointed to with the red arrow. I haven't given it a real hard whack yet in case that isn't the right method but it certainly doesn't want to move easily. Is that the right way to get them off? Any other tricks I should try?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/2stis/hub.jpg

katbloke
10-07-2007, 20:56
you could buy what i call a tuning fork basically its a tapered thing to fit between joint and hub and as you hammer it in so it splits the joint, probarbly the rubber too.

http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/a8/e6/a677_12.JPG

MAXIBOY
10-07-2007, 21:05
you can open the hub up a bit buy hammering a chisel in the slot to open it up a little

BristolSam16v
10-07-2007, 22:28
As Maxiboy said, hammer in a large screwdriver/wedge/chisel into the gap to open up the joint, should come out easily then.

stevie_b
10-07-2007, 22:30
Cheers guys. I have tried the 'hammer something into the gap' approach so think I will now go and buy one of the tools katbloke mentioned.

Will let you know how I got on.

Many thanks for the advice.

MAXIBOY
10-07-2007, 22:38
better to hammer really as those tools nearly always cut the rubber on tight joints.

BristolSam16v
10-07-2007, 22:44
Tbh lots of wd40 or such like and a proper wedge into the gap and I can't see a reason why it wouldn't come out?

Im guessing your new wishbones came with ball joints though so just use that tool won't matter if it wrecks the rubber.

stevie_b
10-07-2007, 22:46
OK, I'm persuaded - I'll give it one more go with the hammer and chisel in the gap tomorrow night. I have new wishbones with balljoints so splitting the rubber on the ones currently on it is not the end of the world if it comes down to it! Just eager to get the thing off and get on with actually putting the project together :lol: Wish I'd made the same progress as you :lol:

MAXIBOY
10-07-2007, 22:47
yeah if you can wedge it open then tap the bit you were hitting.

Matty86
10-07-2007, 22:52
halfords sell track rod end pin removal tool...

looks like you could use it on that

mine have always just popped out though... :?

stevie_b
12-07-2007, 09:30
yeah if you can wedge it open then tap the bit you were hitting.

Thanks guys. On the basis of the advice received as above I used a bit more persuasion this time (bigger hammer) and they came out a treat.

Is it worth painting the hubs up or does everyone just leave them in bare metal? They look pretty rusty but it is only surface rust and it is a big chunk of metal so not currently affecting it structurally.

northy
12-07-2007, 09:53
can always just unbolt the ball joint and remove it that way for now ?

AndyFielder
12-07-2007, 10:24
you need a BALL JOINT SPLITTER!

stevie_b
12-07-2007, 10:41
can always just unbolt the ball joint and remove it that way for now ?

No, it's off okay now mate - followed your earlier advice but just hit it a bit harder - and jammed something into the gap to reduce the tension.

you need a BALL JOINT SPLITTER!

Yes, I've got one but it is the wrong tool for the job - the one I have need to be able to lever the joint against something - works a treat on the control arm joints but is useless on the hub ones.

northy
12-07-2007, 10:46
nice one steve - glad i could help.