PDA

View Full Version : thermostat and switch help!help!help!

titcharoony
09-07-2007, 12:19
got a williams 3...and currently whilst expansion bottle is in dishwasher (as we speak)..i decided to replace the thermo switch and thermo stat itself. However, its being a pain in the arse. first of all, where the hell is the thermostat located? haynes says its underneath the dizzy cap, theres like an elbow or sumthing. I've looked and there seems to be something that can only be worked loose by allen keys. Is this where I'm to find the thermostat?
And also the thermostatic switch, i can see it through the front slam panel, but as its sealed on tight, and damn low, its hard to get to, any tips on getting the ****er off? please help people! quick, my cars getting bored outside!

krazydan
09-07-2007, 12:22
the thermo stat is behind the thing with about 6-7 allen keys
about three pipes and two switches its behind that mate

the switch not shore about

dan

titcharoony
09-07-2007, 12:24
cheers mate, ill get that done now..at least thats one job done. bloody things, renaults are never built with enough room to work on...arrghh! cheers anyway mate.

krazydan
09-07-2007, 12:28
most would agree

dan

titcharoony
09-07-2007, 14:38
well the thermo has now been replaced...i think its best to go under the car to get the the switch...ill let you all know how it goes...i may well have a chucky 'childsplay' face afterwards. but at least my car will be cooler. it will thank me...maybe.

titcharoony
09-07-2007, 14:52
well a quick bash at that..and still no luck. the actual switch scket size is massive, and the alternator is quite in the way....anyone at all have the best way as to how ge the damn thing off? haha, haynes' best soulation is to...'remove the multiplug from the thermostatic switch, then unscrew the switch'. haynes you bitch, you never had to try and undo the damn thing.
so a prize to anyone with the best idea..no jokes people..

Matty86
09-07-2007, 16:23
its a 23mm socket

(I think - same as the gearbox reverse light switch iirc)

titcharoony
09-07-2007, 17:40
its not particuarly the socket size thas the problem...its more a 'theres no room to get at it' problem lol. the alternator is in the way at back end, and slam panel in the way at front. even if i have socket, the handle wudnt have any room to manoever, or indeed i dont think ud even get it in. do i need to take the slam panel/bonnet off anyone? or even the radiator? this is a bloody nightmare!

steveo
09-07-2007, 18:37
Be easier to whip the rad out - give it a good flush out and refill the coolant system with nice clean water and anti-freeze 8)

titcharoony
09-07-2007, 18:43
just decied to do it. haynes reckons get bonnet etc off...but i reckon the slam panel off shud give me enough room to yank the ooker off. The like u say..give it a good flush...maybe even whip some petrol through there or sumthing...then tomorrow...mmmm good as new... think. bleeding is a bitch. had to put the old sealant ring from old thermosat onto new one when i changed it...god knows where id get a new one... know its a bit naughty...but we''ll see how it runs with that as well as new switch. Ill post my findings on the low temp thermo/ thermo switch...whether its worth the 40quid i paid...

white16valver
09-07-2007, 19:27
I had to separate the fan from the rad when I took mine out the other day - my fan seems to be really deep! lol

titcharoony
09-07-2007, 19:53
well the rain/light have stopped me tonight...but ill try again tomorrow. I dont think u need to seperate the fan from the rad (you can of course) - but from what I can tell, you just need to remove slam panel, rock the radiator forward - disconnect the fan wires from wirings, and remove. Im defo stuck on sumthing though, and i suspect its the bottom water hose. Damn that hose. jubilee clips all the way when all the pipes go back on tomorrow.

Bailey_1260
10-07-2007, 00:19
just decied to do it. haynes reckons get bonnet etc off...but i reckon the slam panel off shud give me enough room to yank the ooker off. The like u say..give it a good flush...maybe even whip some petrol through there or sumthing...then tomorrow...mmmm good as new... think. bleeding is a bitch. had to put the old sealant ring from old thermosat onto new one when i changed it...god knows where id get a new one... know its a bit naughty...but we''ll see how it runs with that as well as new switch. Ill post my findings on the low temp thermo/ thermo switch...whether its worth the 40quid i paid...

GSF gave me my O-ring free when i bought the stat.

Matter of pence IIRC

white16valver
10-07-2007, 10:28
wtf

I had to pay £1.50 for mine! :shock: lol :lol:

re: the rad getting stuck and not coming out, I found I also had to remove the plastic surround to the rad - there's a large bit that sticks out on the passenger side and catches on the metalwork and there's no way I could lift the rad out with it attached.

There's a couple of screws/bolts where it joins at the top of the rad (I think) and you can remove the bolts where it joins at the bottom by lifting the rad slightly and getting to them through the bumper :)

Bailey_1260
10-07-2007, 12:36
wtf

I had to pay £1.50 for mine! :shock: lol :lol:

re: the rad getting stuck and not coming out, I found I also had to remove the plastic surround to the rad - there's a large bit that sticks out on the passenger side and catches on the metalwork and there's no way I could lift the rad out with it attached.

There's a couple of screws/bolts where it joins at the top of the rad (I think) and you can remove the bolts where it joins at the bottom by lifting the rad slightly and getting to them through the bumper :)

:wink: its not what you know... lol

Re: the plastic bit, mine ended up in the bin, smapped lol

white16valver
10-07-2007, 16:28
LoL

I had thought about doing that! :lol: